advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

Another one I've only picked up from end of year reviews - in this case Richard Williams in The Blue Moment -

Ambrose Akinmusire "Origami Harvest".

A modern fusion music - if you've not heard it before and play the first 5 minutes you'll be quite surprised where this one goes. Some gorgeous trumpet playing behind it all.

And, another type of fusion, this:

which was Jazzwise's best of 2018, has me slightly baffled ( but then Jazzwise choices often baffle me). I love Lucinda Williams and Charles Lloyd and Bill Frisell but together... not so sure - could become a bit of a guilty pleasure.

Kevin

Just listening to the Charles Lloyd / Frisell / Lucinda Williams album. Its very, very nice, but then I like anything with Frisell on it. Thanks for the suggestion.

for some new releases that have really worked for me (both from around 2015)

Dan Nimmer Trio " tea for two"

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio "night at body and soul"

both superb recordings, and great music.

I’ve been streaming the Larry Grenadier solo record “The Gleaners” this weekend.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2019/02/09/larry-grenadier-the-gleaners-2019/

Great sound - at least through Sonos. I’ve always loved bass solos but don’t have any solo bass records and have always enjoyed Grenadier’s playing both on record and live. This one is now on pre order. In places it reminds me of classical solo cello recordings.

I think this is jazz - he's certainly played with lots of jazz guys - either way it's getting played a lot round here.

Some other tracks sounds like Beefheart playing with a Magic Band influenced by experimental jazz/hip hop rather than the blues - it is very good!

Something I stumbled across while looking for something else by him: Tony Allen - A Tribute To Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, which sounds pretty much like you'd expect it to (no bad thing obv.)

Something I stumbled across while looking for something else by him: Tony Allen - A Tribute To Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, which sounds pretty much like you'd expect it to (no bad thing obv.)

I just came across Tony Allen - The Source which is a double lp that followed on from the Blakey EP. Released in 2017 on Blue Note, it's all analogue and sounds great. Review here.

bmYDgZ8h.jpg

kDR0m7Th.jpg

How about...
The new dawn of EST...ish...in Rymden. They are fabulous live and on their first propulsive LP, Odyssey

advertisement

Back