advertisement

A thread for forthcoming vinyl releases...

Just a note for anyone who likes classic 70s hifi test track rock - the RSD issue of Lowell George's Thanks I'll Eat Eat Here, with a second LP of great alternate versions/ unreleased, is possibly the quietest and most detailed vinyl pressing I've ever heard.

Just a note for anyone who likes classic 70s hifi test track rock - the RSD issue of Lowell George's Thanks I'll Eat Eat Here, with a second LP of great alternate versions/ unreleased, is possibly the quietest and most detailed vinyl pressing I've ever heard.

And yet, an original US first pressing is superior in every way. It's the 'fresh tape vs old tape' phenomenon. While I agree the RSD release is excellent (especially for disc 2 alone), if you're a fan, you owe it to yourself to pick up an original pressing. The difference is that significant.

I’ll stick this review of the new Billie Eilish album here as it made me laugh rather a lot. FWIW the digital (listening to it on Tidal now) sounds fine, it’s a pretty decent album.

PS Sadly what Mike describes is all too common these days. I’ve got to the point now I check playing times before taking a punt as so much is just too long for even the best cutting engineers to cut to one disc. I bet this one would have been great as a double. I struggle to think of any good sounding long rock albums, maybe Lou Reed’s New York, but IIRC they used all manner of DMM chicanery to cut that. 20 minutes a side is fine. Going beyond that usually ruins everything. All those absolutely amazing sounding Blue Notes etc were 12-18 minutes a side. That’s the space you need for real dynamics.

I've been hoping for an official release of the remixes of Arthur Russell's In The Light Of A Miracle for a veeeeery long time now; and now the nice people at Be With Records have got it up for pre-order. I've obviously stumped up the cash for it, being a massive Arthur Russell fanboy.

I've been hoping for an official release of the remixes of Arthur Russell's In The Light Of A Miracle for a veeeeery long time now; and now the nice people at Be With Records have got it up for pre-order. I've obviously stumped up the cash for it, being a massive Arthur Russell fanboy.
Yessss!

I’ll stick this review of the new Billie Eilish album here as it made me laugh rather a lot. FWIW the digital (listening to it on Tidal now) sounds fine, it’s a pretty decent album.

PS Sadly what Mike describes is all too common these days. I’ve got to the point now I check playing times before taking a punt as so much is just too long for even the best cutting engineers to cut to one disc. I bet this one would have been great as a double. I struggle to think of any good sounding long rock albums, maybe Lou Reed’s New York, but IIRC they used all manner of DMM chicanery to cut that. 20 minutes a side is fine. Going beyond that usually ruins everything. All those absolutely amazing sounding Blue Notes etc were 12-18 minutes a side. That’s the space you need for real dynamics.
V funny. I have the recycled vinyl issue and it sounds fine to me. No surface noise and the levels are perfectly normal.

Rhino High Fidelity is releasing Black Sabbath's first album, this could be very good! Shipping is reasonable too if you're tempted.

Not that I am any Black sabbath fan but I thought I'd take a look since it been a while since I poked my head in that direction & it is already sold out.

Not looking forward to Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense Covers new release, now heard 3 singles from it and they have not added anything new, absolute shite.
A cover for me has to bring something new to the party this album so far does not.

Awaiting my signed "Ship to Shore" double LP to arrive from Rough Trade. Possibly today, more likely tomorrow or Monday. Let's see if Thommo has had a return to form (I've deliberately avoided listening to any of the new tracks so far). Must dust down the P8 :)

Standard black vinyl Nubya Garcia here (Amazon) for those who want to gamble on the algorithm kicking out a nice low price between now and September! With this lead time you can certainly win.

PS I paid the LOLprice for the signed one on her site.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back