advertisement

A thread for forthcoming vinyl releases...

I’ll stick this review of the new Billie Eilish album here as it made me laugh rather a lot. FWIW the digital (listening to it on Tidal now) sounds fine, it’s a pretty decent album.

PS Sadly what Mike describes is all too common these days. I’ve got to the point now I check playing times before taking a punt as so much is just too long for even the best cutting engineers to cut to one disc. I bet this one would have been great as a double. I struggle to think of any good sounding long rock albums, maybe Lou Reed’s New York, but IIRC they used all manner of DMM chicanery to cut that. 20 minutes a side is fine. Going beyond that usually ruins everything. All those absolutely amazing sounding Blue Notes etc were 12-18 minutes a side. That’s the space you need for real dynamics.
Try Santana - Caravanserai. It seems in the past it was possible to cut nice sounding records with 20+ mins per side.

Try Santana - Caravanserai. It seems in the past it was possible to cut nice sounding records with 20+ mins per side.

I hadn’t realised how long that was. It never struck me as an amazing slab of vinyl (I have a UK 1st press), but it certainly isn’t bad. I’ll dig it out for a spin.

PS ‘Audiophile direct-cut dub’ isn’t a phrase I’ve used in a sentence before, but here you go:

£299. Black 4LP vinyl in polylined inner sleeves, printed 3mm spine outer sleeves, fold out poster, sticker sheet and booklet containing development sketches from the original artwork. All housed in a hinged oak case with a bespoke chemical etched and eroded copper plate and engraved logo

Listening to it now. It is definitely cut quite quiet, as physics would dictate. Fabulous album. Would be great to see an audiophile issue cut across four sides. Currently on last track side one, such a great funky bassline!

I hadn’t realised how long that was. It never struck me as an amazing slab of vinyl (I have a UK 1st press), but it certainly isn’t bad. I’ll dig it out for a spin.

PS ‘Audiophile direct-cut dub’ isn’t a phrase I’ve used in a sentence before, but here you go:

Definitely not an audiophile level but very decent 1972 production. Certainly not sounding deformed or distorted due to too much grooves per side.

Definitely not an audiophile level but very decent 1972 production. Certainly not sounding deformed or distorted due to too much grooves per side.

I ended up comparing it to the 24/96 file on Tidal. The vinyl is definitely bandwidth and dynamics-limited in comparison, but still sounds good despite that. I guess it sounds ‘right’ to me as that’s how I’m used to hearing it, though it could be a lot better if spread across more vinyl. Physics is physics. Every minute over around 18 or 20 (can’t remember which) costs 1db of cut headroom. An extra 5 minutes is 5db lost.

advertisement

Back