advertisement

A moment of speaker weakness...

Smaller monitors with a strategically place sub can get you 80% of these behemoths but for 100%, there's no substitute for size.
I don't have any experience with the speakers in question, however this is unexpected for me. IME properly integrated subs add a tremendous amount to standmount or floor standing speakers. The flexibility of placement allowing no compromise on imaging for the mains and optimal placement of subs to reduce the effect of room modes.

Definitely much harder with subs, integrating correctly is not straightforward.

Have a listen to JBL 4359. They came close to the Klipsch Forte's at the dealers. And I also preferred the looks of the Forte's but ymmv

. Smaller monitors with a strategically place sub can get you 80% of these behemoths but for 100%, there's no substitute for size.

I moved from ESPOS 14s to a DIY three way with a 10" bass driver in a sealed box. The way that the bass driver filled the room with bass, quite effortlessly, was a revelation. I've not been down the route of a pair of small monitors and a sub so I can't be definite, and it may be the answer, but I have an urge, spurred on from that pair of 10" drivers that big is the way to go...I'm gonna scratch that itch at Midland Audio Exchange and it may be a pipedream. I just have to find out :)

Ha no other that one !!
I am sure the radfords will be fab . He had a lovely leben c600 recently. That would be nice too

If you can find a pair, the Klipsch Tangent 400s - a Heresy II in a larger ported cabinet. I enjoyed having a pair and sold them for a little more than I paid for them (~$300). Didn’t have room for them and my NS1000Ms.

How about an pair of Altec Valencias?

The comment on Zu's is spot on. I loved how my Essences sounded in our old house in a large open room with a cathedral ceiling, but never managed to get them to really sound on form in the current smaller room. Might drag them out over the winter when the weather cools as they usually pair with a Manley Stingray that puts out too much heat on summer.

I heard a pair at the Münich Audio Show, among the very very few rooms with good sound and serious products...

Maxbertola, was that the Otellos you heard?

I heard a pair of Parifals driven by Nagra electronics in a shop in Montreal
Outside by budget at the time and had to "make do" with Martin Logans

Just bought a pair of these...

https://verityaudio.com/product/otello/
https://verityaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/brochure_otello_en.pdf

Look absolutely amazing in Makore wood, real pieces of furniture.
Wanted a pair of Verity speakers for over 20 years

Wow ...a fellow verity lover !!! I just loved by rienzi in makore !! Love to hear the otello but wow they are pricy now. Emporium had a pair around 10k for nearly a year now nos . Nearly got some lohengrin. The pain now is they are not so flexible , my rienzi could have woofers facing front or back

Funnily the rienzi replaced ml summit x which the wife banned

Must make a trip to Hampshire one day to hear the beauties

@terrycym

I don't remember with total confidence, but they were either Otello or Parsifal. Most likely Otello.
My aural memory of the show has now faded, but I remember a clean, intelligent, open and not at all 'hyper-defined' sound. In the department of modern speaker systems with important design, finish and price, they were surely extremely likable. I complimented the solitary owner of the firm in an almost empty room in a huge show were the usual useless suspects had crammed rooms...

The Parsifal I heard were the same, the two enclosures were not fixed to each other so the woofers go fire either way. My Otellos have the two enclosures fixed together.
They’re breaking in right now. You can hear the bass loosening up over time..

They’re VERY efficient!
Interestingly, they sit on an anti-vibration bases like the Gaias but far better!

2n4rbip
2n4rbip
Very nice, has got me tempted to seek out some Klipsch to listen to.
Which Tannoys do you have @steveinspain ? Have been eying up some 10" Tannoys - any experience here of Turnberry + valves?
I have these, not an off the shelf product but one I'm very proud to own and utterly worth every penny in my opinion
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/tannoy-bespoke-balmorals.257726/#post-4425647

advertisement

Back