advertisement

Tannoy bespoke Balmorals

Whaleblue

Southbound
I’ve had my @fraserking built Balmorals for a few weeks, and have been meaning to do a write up ever since the day they arrived!

Fraser built them as a speculative project for a friend of a friend, but luckily for me they became available, and I jumped on them to house the totally rebuilt (by Frank @cooky1257) HPD315s. The drivers arrived in some rather spiffy white Devon cabs - apparently a custom build by Tannoy back in the late 70’s, but were crying out for cabs to do them justice.

Once in contact with Fraser we discussed the work required to finish the cabs and grilles. The cabs were mostly ready in a glorious teak veneer, but the baffle needed recutting for my drivers, and a new piece of veneer to match the rest of the cabs was found - here apparently:

51176545843_f511d9fc60_c.jpg

The cabs were then prepped for my 315s:

51175645617_594e29eee8_c.jpg

Fraser then set about building a set of crossovers worthy of the project. A few weeks passed, and eventually the day arrived. Fraser kindly traveled down to me with everything in his estate and set about the transplant. A donor Devon cab:

51168902484_9cf262fdab_c.jpg

And a 315 finds its new home:

51167450907_81216f0661_c.jpg

I get the first listen:

51174122900_86c5ef5276_c.jpg

While Frase looked nervously on! There was no need Frase, they bowled me over from the first track, and have never yet failed to impress!

The master cabinet maker gets a listen:

51268287429_8c1c783130_c.jpg

And is happy to find out that my enthusiasm was well founded.

These now give a lot more bass than in the Devons, without being bloaty or slow. The midrange opens up further and treble is just the sweetest - cab or crossover? Let’s accept some of both. Without exaggeration these are the best all-round performers I’ve ever had the pleasure to own.

Some more pics:

51168355098_9365cfdf71_c.jpg

51268241914_3d255440fa_c.jpg

51268229269_3c7c58496c_c.jpg

Huge thanks to Fraser, and of course none of this would have happened without the excellent driver restoration carried out by Frank. You’ve made me a very happy new member of the Tannoy club.

Last edited:
Nice! Frasers cabinet work is top drawer.;)
Speaking of cabinets, someone is going to be lucky if they snag those rather rare little white Devons.

Last edited:
That’s a lovely review Ian thanks so much for your kind words . So glad you’re happy. We now have very similar sounding systems with almost identical speakers ! The crossovers are more or less copies of the originals , apart from the fixed inductor and 1 resistor change - all capacitors/resistors and cabling as suggested by Paul Mills of Tannoy in a very helpful email some years ago. I did copy JK Wynns very tidy board layout ( his website is worth a look) so some thanks to him too.
I’ve been a Tannoy obsessive since Cooky introduced me to his Arundels at college in 1989 so it all goes back to him!

Very nice looking speakers. Amazing to hear that these might be the best you’ve heard yet, as you’ve heard a few speakers in the time I’ve been on PFM!

I’m also very interested (and I mean this in the nicest way) why when building from scratch a great carpenter still chooses to build a rectangular box? Why when the options are limitless regarding cabinet shape?

I’m also very interested (and I mean this in the nicest way) why when building from scratch a great carpenter still chooses to build a rectangular box? Why when the options are limitless regarding cabinet shape?
Maybe because the pitfalls are also limitless? The Balmoral they're based on is a known quantity that looks good and works really well, better bracing improves them further.

Very nice looking speakers. Amazing to hear that these might be the best you’ve heard yet, as you’ve heard a few speakers in the time I’ve been on PFM!

Taking the most notable speakers I’ve had over the last few years (I don’t think I’m missing anything significant in the following?):

My ATC50s mid-range driver eclipsed these. The biggest issues I found over time were 1.They need to be played quite loud to come on song. 2.Consequently too much bass energy which means DSP is pretty much required. 3.I found some sibilance issues with the ATC own tweeter. The last point I’m not 100% sure about (vs the SEAS was it?), but on reflection I preferred the older stand mounts to the later towers (with ATC tweeter). Absolutely great speakers no doubt - especially in the right room.

The Quad ESL63s were also a joy, but bass response is just not there, and positioning a metre or two from a rear wall is impractical in most scenarios. The bigger modern Quad panels are, well, too big for many.

The Raidho D2s were pretty stunning. A bit bass light, and again an Achilles heal regarding required distance from the wall behind.

The Yammie NS1000s are also up there, but aesthetically challenging in many lounges. In some ways similar in presentation to the Tannoys, but simply not as coherent.

As an overall package, I’d take these Balmorals any day.

I think the rectangular cab design over any other shape is largely about cost. I like the looks though regardless, and they are remarkably elegant in real life.

My original plan was to copy the HPD look with Balmoral like dimensions - grilles I’d planned to be rounded corners but Ian preferred the square corner look. I personally prefer the simple box design which doesn’t draw too much attention to itself and helps them blend into the room.

advertisement

Back