advertisement

A high quality CD Player

Hi NP,

The one-box versus two-box question is not quite that binary... :)

There are some one-box CD players that provide additional and selectable digital inputs which allow the one-box CD player to function as a DAC for other digital feeds while retaining their ability to play CDs. (Audiolab 8200CD is one seen often here).

Recently, I decided to downsize my main rig after we'd downsized the house and put together a replacement system for use in the study. Not wanting to sacrifice sound quality, I went hunting for a decent CD player to "replace" the Theta Data Basic II and Bryston BDA-1 DAC. The options available that fitted my needs (SQ, XLR balanced outs, build-quality) included:

a) Audiolab 8200CD (build was a bit suspect)
b) Electrocompaniet PC-1 (to match the amp bought for the study)
c) Bryston BCD-1 (SQ close to BDA-1 DAC)

I eventually opted for the BCD-1 despite it having been discontinued as I know Bryston and their support (and I got it for a song too... :) )

The BCD-1 is an excellent one-box CD player and makes great music via the Electrocompaniet PI-2 integrated and the Chario Syntar 516 bookshelf speakers in the study.

I've subsequently re-thought my decision to sell off the main rig (the speakers went but the electronics were too pricey for the current state of the local economy) and am re-structuring the storage racks to cater for the main rig in the study. The BCD-1 and PI-2 will move to the lounge and do quite nicely in that location.

At your budget, I'd have to second the suggestion to look at Esoteric - they use their own transport mechanisms and they're amongst the best-engineered I've ever seen/heard. If you can find a K-07X at price within your budget, then go for it. It includes additional digital inputs (1 x S/PDIF, 1xToslink, 1xUSB) so will also permit later addition of other new media source components. It also looks the part...

main.jpg

Webpage: Link

At that level, the only other player that comes to mind is the Emm Labs CDSA - but whether or not it is available in the UK and for how much, I don't know.

EMM-CDSA-1.jpg

Webpage: Link

Happy hunting... :)

Dave

I have a Luxman D-05u which is in the same market area as the Esoteric but cheaper. Very good it is too.

Agree that Esoteric make a very good cdp but be aware that they are now distributed by Onkyo over here. Don't know about their aftermarket service. I've had my Nagra for 8+ years and was built to last, sounding wonderful too. Used examples are rare but worth investigating.

Although the 8200CD is very good considering its price it's not in the same league as some CD players the OP could buy within his budget.

+1

Where the 8200CD falls short, IMHO, lies in the build quality, where the targeted price-point has resulted in some cut corners - particularly in the disk loader tray (flimsy plastic) and in the transport mechanism used (computer-grade multi-type). Sonically, it is a pretty good player but not quite up there with other players in the OPs new player budget area (GBP5,000.00) - which is to be expected given the 8200CD's price of under one fifth of that amount.

The two one-box players listed in an earlier post (Esoteric K-07X and Emm Labs CDSA) are in a totally different league to the 8200CD and to compare the 8200CD with either of these two high-end players is an unfair comparison. Both are extremely well-constructed, employing transport mechanisms that probably cost more than the 8200CD complete with remote and packaging.

The Emm Labs CDSA is probably the most musical sounding one-box CD player I've ever auditioned - but at >$9,000.00 it should be.

While these two one-box players may seem ridiculously pricey, they are by no means the most costly CD replay options available - there are a few that would scare the cr*p out of most of our bank managers... :)

My own path up the CD replay ladder was, initially, a rather tentative one - I was not convinced that "perfect sound forever" was a valid claim, particularly after hearing some of those early 1980s CDs. I eventually succumbed to family pressure and bought the cheapest CD player I could find to shut them up - it was not for me but for the wife and kids and to protect my AT OC5 MM cartridge...

What came as a surprise was when a mate popped 'round with some decent CDs (Sheffield Labs) and we tried them on the badge-engineered Pacific Rim player, they actually sounded a lot better than expected.

The next upgrade saw the CD player replaced by a Rotel RCD965BX which improved things to a point where I started buying CDs (helped by vinyl vanishing from the music store shelves). Some tweaks followed: Trichord Clock 2 upgrade and then a move to the Rotel discrete analogue ouput stage.

By this stage, the CD collection had grown and now included music not already owned on vinyl and, when the next upgrade came along, the RCD965 was replaced by a CDT/DAC combo. In between buying the Rotel and buying the CDT/DAC, I'd done a lot of researching and auditioning and had settled on Theta Digital as preferred manufacturer. This first CDT/DAC combo comprised a Theta Data Basic transport plus a Theta DSPro Progeny DAC.

Burglars spoilt this burgeoning relationship and a new CDT/DAC arrived: Theta Data Basic II and Theta DSPro Prime IIa. This lasted about a year until along came a Theta DSPro GenVa (a long term object of lust).

This combo served me very well - delivering one of the most appealing digital source performances I'd heard. In the meantime, Neil Sinclair sold off Theta to some US-based mass market audio manufacturer who dropped support for Neil's babies, so when the GenVa eventually died no spares were available and the Theta brand had lost its attraction, so eventually opted for the Bryston BDA-1 as a partner to the Theta Data Basic II (still in use today).

What I liked about Bryston was their confidence in the build and QA that saw them offering 20 year warranties on amplifiers and 5 year warranties on digital products. This, coupled with "better-than-average-but-not-outstanding" sound quality, was enough to tip the balance in their favour.

The BDA-1 is NOT a Theta GenVa but does a remarkably good job given its price point of around 25% of the GenVa - plus it offers eight selectable digital inputs and can function as a source selector for digital sources.

I've had the BDA-1 for around 4-5 years now and, in the years since buying, I've noted that Bryston have released two updated DAC products - the BDA-2 and the BDA-3. These changes have seen shifts in DAC chip used, improvements in USB bit-depth/sample rate, inclusion of HDMI/DSD, and some other minor enhancements to track shifts in technology.

This last "product path" demonstrates just how fast DAC hardware/software is evolving - while optical disk transports have virtually ground to a halt in terms of evolution.

The question then of "one-box-CDP" versus "two-box-CDT/DAC" does need to be considered - even if only from an optical replay perspective. The "two-box" option does allow one to upgrade only the DAC and retain the transport, while a "one-box" approach will require a complete replacement.

The other aspect that comes to mind (based on the Bryston product road map) is the growing potential for a DAC to fulfil the role of digital source selector and, thereby, to facilitate any integration between physical-media-based audio-only, virtual-media-based audio and/or video, broadcast media based audio/video, and web-streamed audio/video sub-systems.

So, while a one-box CD replay solution will reduce rack clutter and - potentially - have better WAF and may also offer some advantages in SQ due to the elimination of digital interconnections (junction-cable-junction), there is a valid case for taking a long and hard look at a two-box solution.

Dave

I don't think there's any harm in not answering the question directly but suggesting an alternative, more future-proofed solution. Here's mine: OPPO BDT-101Ci as transport (plays every disc for £350), a coax cable in the £50 range and then listen to DACs in the £3-4K range. Metrum Pavane wold be top of my list. Given that an Oppo 103 and Metrum Octave is in CDS2 and Densen 400XS territory there is surely no harm in contemplating this route.

If you like naim why not audition a naim DAC, the classic or the V1, and some CD transport?

I am not a fan of streaming and do not consider CD obsolete.

@Naimplayer:

Cav makes a valid point....

As your user name and current system suggest, you've probably become attuned to a Naim sound and any change from Naim front-end to any other brand is going result in a sound that will be "different" and, as such, may jar your sensibilities a wee bit...

If you do consider some "No-Naim-Brand" CD front-end, I would strongly recommend that you insist on a decent home audition of at least a week to allow your initial "different is not good" reaction to settle to a point where you can assess the new sound on its merits and not just against a yardstick based on years of familiarity.

The safer route for you would be to look for a Naim option that offers some discernible upgrade in SQ while maintaining that "Naim House-Sound" signature. Once again, I'd still recommend an extended home audition.

With a budget of five grand, you should have enough "leverage" to "encourage" a dealer to provide a system for a home audition...

Whatever YOU decide here is what's important as you are the person who will have to live with the new source - whatever any of us Fishies say, we won't have to live with the result...

This onus on YOU will, for peace of mind and bank manager, demand that you make the time to perform whatever due diligence is needed... :)

Dave

I thought that when I sold my then 9-yr old Ikemi 5½ years ago for c.£840. They still sell for about exactly that now. At some point there will be a downturn but there is clearly still a worthy CD and CD player following.
CD players that have been put into storage seem to die after a few months, the dreaded plastic loading gear crumbling and drive belts seizing

Thank you all for your contributions so far, I have enjoyed reading all of them. I am grateful for the assistance and advice from all quarters, it is useful and thought provoking.
I am looking for a CD player and will be going down to Ealing this morning to check out the esoteric range and maybe bringing boxes home.
If I do decide on anything I will let you know how things proceed.

Thank you all for your contributions so far, I have enjoyed reading all of them. I am grateful for the assistance and advice from all quarters, it is useful and thought provoking.
I am looking for a CD player and will be going down to Ealing this morning to check out the esoteric range and maybe bringing boxes home.
If I do decide on anything I will let you know how things proceed.

Happy Hunting!! :)

There can be only one !

Linn Sondek CD12 ... simply the best CD player I've ever heard and I'll never part with mine. Had a side-by-side comparison to the latest Linn streamer at a dealer last October and there was simply no comparison. The CD12 simply blew it out of the water ... indeed the dealer himself confessed the streamer was somewhat lacking in comparison. Don't get me wrong, streaming is great for ease of use and simplicity, but not for replay - it just doesn't do it ! I use one in my garage or garden shed when tatting about and that about the size of it !

You're welcome, I hope you enjoy the process.

One final harangue - if you have the option of the two box transport/DAC, or simply a CD player that offers access to its DAC facility with separate digital input, you might find it useful in future if you decide to try the alternatives that I, and others, suggested.

As you say, I would have thought a digital 'in' would be top of the list of mandatory features, at least then you can still use it as a DAC rather than paperweight.
Keith.

Well, the guy was formerly a development/design engineer for Linn. He worked on that CD player. As they always did, the engineers had a sweepstake at a fiver a go trying to guess the retail price of the latest Linn product.

Bear in mind these guys knew exactly what components had gone into it and how much development work. The HIGHEST figure they guessed was £2k retail.

Now, remind me what it went on sale for?

NB I'm not knocking Linn. Best turntable I've ever had was an LP12 bought brand new about 30 years ago.

As you say, I would have thought a digital 'in' would be top of the list of mandatory features, at least then you can still use it as a DAC rather than paperweight.
Keith.

Or he could use it for its intended purpose and play CDs on it. I think that is what he's actually after.

When and if the transport mechanism becomes unavailable you will still be able to use the unit as a DAC, if it has a 'digital' in otherwise it is useless.
Keith.

I would look at the Marantz version of the Chevron Audio Sabre player/dac
http://www.chevronaudio.co.uk/html/sabre_player_dac.html
I have the JVC version and it's away having the Level 2 upgrade at moment so I am using a Chord Mojo as a stand in dac, put it this way I can't wait for the player to come back.
The level 2 Marantz version would set you back £1150 and is a bargain;)

I would look at the Marantz version of the Chevron Audio Sabre player/dac
http://www.chevronaudio.co.uk/html/sabre_player_dac.html
I have the JVC version and it's away having the Level 2 upgrade at moment so I am using a Chord Mojo as a stand in dac, put it this way I can't wait for the player to come back.
The level 2 Marantz version would set you back £1150 and is a bargain;)

Never heard these Chevron upgrades and I know the quality of the implementation is key to SQ... but I really can't see why someone like the OP who has a budget up to 5k GBP would go for a 9023 Sabre based DAC (which is entry level).

advertisement

Back