advertisement

‘Cult’ artists that are good & the opposite

I'm putting on the fire proof jacket, over the top of a chain mail vest which is underneath a suit of armour - over rated, Miles Davis. I respect the talent and mastering of the instrument, but it's all just twaddle.

I would't say he mastered the instrument.

PS. If there's one thing I really can't stand in life it's people who call you a dickhead for not liking what they like , or listen to.

You have just done exactly that by dismissing one of the world’s most-loved and important musical forms as only having appeal to drug addicts or something! One of the daftest posts I’ve read in getting on for 20 years of hosting this site to be honest!

Anyone saying they do is just being pretentious. Unless they're maybe doing it as well.

PS. If there's one thing I really can't stand in life it's people who call you a dickhead for not liking what they like , or listen to.

What about people who call you pretentious for liking something you don't?

He was often outshone by people in his own band & others.

So many of the most creative people are as they grasp their ego isn’t the point of their being there. It takes a particular type of musician to see the big picture and focus on the goal, and most of my favourite creators are firmly in this category. Miles, like Bowie, Eno etc, realised getting hold of the very best and most interesting people and giving them the space to create was the way to push things forward. I love how minimal Miles can be, I think it’s about 5 minutes into Tribute To Jack Johnson before he even plays his first note! That is real confidence and the exact opposite of the typical ‘widdly widdly widdly’ cock-rock guitarist or whatever. To quote Eno (I think) “one spends the first year or two learning how to play, and the rest of one’s life learning what not to play”.

It's a complicated thing isn't it? This presence of being? Knowing what's good. Knowing what isn't? What is?

Who's to say ?

I'd say that for music, as for visual art, I'm a 'I don't know much about music/art, but I know what I like' type. That is, I don't have the technical knowledge to usefully say anything other than 'I like this', or 'I don't like that'. For literature, my knowledge is deeper, so I'm able to give some insight into why a certain piece of writing is good, bad, or meh.

The Enid has been a cult band for over 40 years, and their 70's output is fantastic.

I don't get the Grateful Dead.

So many of the most creative people are as they grasp their ego isn’t the point of their being there. It takes a particular type of musician to see the big picture and focus on the goal, and most of my favourite creators are firmly in this category. Miles, like Bowie, Eno etc, realised getting hold of the very best and most interesting people and giving them the space to create was the way to push things forward. I love how minimal Miles can be, I think it’s about 5 minutes into Tribute To Jack Johnson before he even plays his first note! That is real confidence and the exact opposite of the typical ‘widdly widdly widdly’ cock-rock guitarist or whatever. To quote Eno (I think) “one spends the first year or two learning how to play, and the rest of one’s life learning what not to play”.
Well, a lack of ego is not something you could ever level at Miles Davis. I personally don’t think his band always got their due; this is an inherent problem with Jazz though.

Y'know? I've never hear anything by The Enid? Thanks. Of course I've heard of them "kind of" (being a music paper reading person since 1970 but I think I was maybe into different things at the time)

Tomorrow I'm going to dig them out on Spotify, if they're on there, and find out.

They're not free form improv jazz though are they?

I don't get the Grateful Dead.

I really like Live Dead and that era. Less keen on the country-rock stuff, though some of it is very good. When they are in the zone live its as good as jazz in many ways (which some people apparently don’t like. ;-)), just amazing interplay and counterpoint between the guitars. I’ve got the big Warners CD box set which I should really spend a bit more time with.

I really like Live Dead and that era. Less keen on the country-rock stuff, though some of it is very good. When they are in the zone live its as good as jazz in many ways (which some people apparently don’t like. ;-)), just amazing interplay and counterpoint between the guitars. I’ve got the big Warners CD box set which I should really spend a bit more time with.
I’ve always found their discography too large to know where to jump onto.

Y'know? I've never hear anything by The Enid? Thanks. Of course I've heard of them "kind of" (being a music paper reading person since 1970 but I think I was maybe into different things at the time)

Tomorrow I'm going to dig them out on Spotify, if they're on there, and find out.

They're not free form improv jazz though are they?

They're best described as 'symphonic prog'.

All you need to know is that the leader, Robert John Godfrey, did all the orchestrations for Harvest-era Barclay James Harvest.

I’ve always found their discography too large to know where to jump onto.

I’d start with Live Dead myself. If you like that try Aoxomoxoa for some pretty bizarre studio trip-out stuff and American Beauty for some great accessible country-rock/Americana stuff. I’m not knowledgeable enough to sift through the endless live stuff, which is where the real Dead fans live. There must be years of it!

I'm not sure if you'd call them cult but there are several British solo artists I have extensive collections of who have a huge back catalogue but never really get the press they deserve after their initial fame but kept going.

Peter Hammill

Bill Nelson

Ron Geesin

Colin Potter

advertisement

Back