advertisement

‘Cult’ artists that are good & the opposite

If you don’t like Jazz they you will not like Miles Davis; if you don’t like Country Music then you won’t like Willie Nelson.

Personally, I really like Jazz & bounce around the different eras, other half doesn’t care for it but appreciates some of the big band music I have.

Last edited:
Do you not like jazz?

After years of trying to be worthy I have given up.

Can’t stand it.
Miles Davis

I keep trying, I really do - thinking there must be something I am missing. So far it is still missing.

Sorry.

Maybe its all a bit Emperors Clothes or Mornington Crescent?

But plenty of Jazz I do like. Although I am no expert at all.

I keep trying, I really do - thinking there must be something I am missing. So far it is still missing.

Sorry.

Maybe its all a bit Emperors Clothes or Mornington Crescent?

Are you saying that because you do not like jazz, that its popularity is based on a myth?

Are you saying that because you do not like jazz, that its popularity is based on a myth?

I think he was saying that Miles Davis's popularity was baed on a myth (as he likes plenty of other jazz).

I've never really got to grips with Miles Davis either, though to be fair the only album of his I've owned was Kind of Blue. A friend used to buy every Miles Davis album as it was released and, though our tastes were broadly similar, they always left me cold. I'd see it as a failing in myself, rather than an 'emperor's new clothes' thing.

I think he was saying that Miles Davis's popularity was baed on a myth (as he likes plenty of other jazz).

I've never really got to grips with Miles Davis either, though to be fair the only album of his I've owned was Kind of Blue. A friend used to buy every Miles Davis album as it was released and, though our tastes were broadly similar, they always left me cold. I'd see it as a failing in myself, rather than an 'emperor's new clothes' thing.

ah, thanks.

Miles Davis is okay, but not my favourite jazz merchant.

The thing with Miles is he never stayed still. He was at the very front of things for most of his long and extraordinarily productive life. To go from Birth Of The Cool to Kind Of Blue to Sketches Of Spain to ESP, to In A Silent Way to Bitches Brew to On The Corner to Agharta/Pangea just defies belief, and I’ve omitted about 40 amazing albums here! He was a chameleon like Bowie or Eno, but he was so prolific and reinvented himself so many times he kind of makes them look like amateurs!

Miles was never an easy listen, he was always pushing and pushing hard. I suspect that is what puts some off. This will never be easy listening/smooth-jazz. It was never meant to be. A Tribute To Jack Johnson makes white blues-rock like Led Zep, Cream etc sound utterly feeble, On The Corner is visceral almost beyond belief, yet funky as hell, and then we get to Agharta & Pangea which out-Krautrocks Can or Amon Düül II. Just astonishingly intense and powerful stuff, but it takes a little effort on the part of the listener.

The thing with Miles is he never stayed still. He was at the very front of things for most of his long and extraordinarily productive life. To go from Birth Of The Cool to Kind Of Blue to Sketches Of Spain to ESP, to In A Silent Way to Bitches Brew to On The Corner to Agharta/Pangea just defies belief, and I’ve omitted about 40 amazing albums here! He was a chameleon like Bowie or Eno, but he was so prolific and reinvented himself so many times he kind of makes them look like amateurs!

Miles was never an easy listen, he was always pushing and pushing hard. I suspect that is what puts some off. This will never be easy listening/smooth-jazz. It was never meant to be. A Tribute To Jack Johnson makes white blues-rock like Led Zep, Cream etc sound utterly feeble, On The Corner is visceral almost beyond belief, yet funky as hell, and then we get to Agharta & Pangea which out-Krautrocks Can or Amon Düül II. Just astonishingly intense and powerful stuff, but it takes a little effort on the part of the listener.
I really like Miles Davis but he wasn’t the only one to stay at the forefront - let’s not forget he relied heavily on others. Birth of the cool wasn’t really his ‘movement’, more Mulligan to be fair. His contribution to bebop is overrated but I generally like his music up to ‘in a silent way’. Just not a fan of fusion & his 80s stuff was pretty terrible.

As much as I like him other artists probably matter more to me & he seems to swallow up a lot of attention as Jazz is a relatively small field.

Ducks for cover etc ;)

But you said if I didn't like Willie Nelson then I didn't like country music, confused now.

Either way, Jazz is a load of tosh :p
It was actually the other way round, subtle difference;)

But if you don’t like Jazz then you will by definition not care for Miles Davis

Miles Davies? I don't get it either.

I find all free form improvisational stuff just un - relatable actually.

I'm not blowing what they're blowing , smoking what they're smoking , shooting up what they're shooting- so how could I possibly relate to it?

Anyone saying they do is just being pretentious. Unless they're maybe doing it as well.

PS. If there's one thing I really can't stand in life it's people who call you a dickhead for not liking what they like , or listen to.

Total fascism of the worst kind.

advertisement

Back