advertisement

‘Cult’ artists that are good & the opposite

Don't be cruel to VM! There was a time (between the autumns of '68 and '71) when he was a goddam genius.
The pain in the ass phase, by comparison only lasted 38 years (so far).

Sometimes difficult to define cult though especially where bands are concerned.

For me cult either means overlooked in their own time, e.g. Velvet Underground, Young Marble Giants, Daniel Johnson, countless almost forgotten Peel Session bands that for some reason refuse the final entropy etc, or just so, so far off the map they are entirely their own thing, e.g. Magma, Throbbing Gristle, Einstürzende Neubauten, Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel etc. Most stuff being mentioned on this thread just isn’t cult to my mind.

PS No, I don’t think you could describe Miles Davis as cult (maybe some rare and pretty extreme albums qualify, e.g. Agharta, Pangea). For jazz that would be more the likes of Cecil Taylor, Anthony Braxton, Sun Ra etc.

...and Miles Davis is? Apologies if I've misunderstood the rules of the game.
Well, I didn’t propose Miles Davis but Jazz is rather more niche than mainstream rock/pop/soul.

You may think Prince & Springsteen are overrated, obviously you would be wrong & it’s not something you should say out loud;)

PS No, I don’t think you could describe Miles Davis as cult (maybe some rare and pretty extreme albums qualify, e.g. Agharta, Pangea).

Disagree Agharta and Pangea are just off the scale class Live performances. Difficult maybe because they are intense and you have to search out the testing melodies. Not an easy listen aka Rumours but just as rewarding just on a different planet

Disagree Agharta and Pangea are just off the scale class Live performances. Difficult maybe because they are intense and you have to search out the testing melodies. Not an easy listen aka Rumours but just as rewarding just on a different planet

Don’t get me wrong, they are two of my absolute favourite Miles Davis albums, but they were only originally released in Japan and very few people ‘got’ Miles’s ‘70s visceral fusion stuff at the time. I’d argue they were as ‘cult’ as he got.

Don’t get me wrong, they are two of my absolute favourite Miles Davis albums, but they were only originally released in Japan and very few people ‘got’ Miles’s ‘70s visceral fusion stuff at the time. I’d argue they were as ‘cult’ as he got.

You are probably right I am looking at it over 40yrs on. The Vienna live show from 1973 on Youtube has this performance in front of a seated audience who were probably shocked by what was performed!

advertisement

Back