advertisement

‘Cult’ artists that are good & the opposite

Woodface

pfm Member
Listening to Judee Sill just now & it got me to thinking about ‘cult’ artists that are rather special & those that are rather overrated.

I think Judee Sill was a genuine talent, it didn’t work out for her & she is largely forgotten, a mere footnote.

Any others you care to suggest?

In the opposite direction I never really understood the appeal of ‘Love’.

Jackie Leven - deserved far more recognition and success, one of the greatest singer-songwriters IMHO

Ha, ha. Some people really love Love but while not terrible I feel other bands are more worthy of attention.

I also find The Band pretty boring & cannot stand Bob Dylan...

Now you're just being deliberately offensive.

Anyway. Under-rated: Alex Chilton.

Over-rated: I dunno. Over-rated would imply that a lot of people like them, which would mean that they weren't/aren't really 'cult'. Depeche Mode get on my tits, but they're hardly obscure.

Now you're just being deliberately offensive.

Anyway. Under-rated: Alex Chilton.

Over-rated: I dunno. Over-rated would imply that a lot of people like them, which would mean that they weren't/aren't really 'cult'. Depeche Mode get on my tits, but they're hardly obscure.
Does anyone actually like ‘rag mamma rag’?

A lot of cult bands were so as they weren’t very good.

Some bands were very influential without actually being much cop.

Alex Chilton is an excellent shout, Box Tops were pretty good & probably influenced the later power pop movement.

Nick Drake...light blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance. His voice does nothing for me at all. Bit precious, fey almost. Sorry.

Listening to Judee Sill just now & it got me to thinking about ‘cult’ artists that are rather special & those that are rather overrated.

I think Judee Sill was a genuine talent, it didn’t work out for her & she is largely forgotten, a mere footnote.

Any others you care to suggest?

In the opposite direction I never really understood the appeal of ‘Love’.

Good shout for Judee Sill and I am ashamed to say I completely missed her at the time. On the other hand I love Love, well the first three albums anyway. I also love Pearls Before Swine/Tom Rapp and am currently listening to Help Yourself, another much overlooked band.

Good shout for Judee Sill and I am ashamed to say I completely missed her at the time. On the other hand I love Love, well the first three albums anyway. I also love Pearls Before Swine/Tom Rapp and am currently listening to Help Yourself, another much overlooked band.
I read a book about the West Coast scene which put me onto her. She had a massive fall out with David Geffen, your career doesn’t recover from that. Dead & penniless at 36 I seem to recall.

I read a book about the West Coast scene which put me onto her. She had a massive fall out with David Geffen, your career doesn’t recover from that. Dead & penniless at 36 I seem to recall.
Her story is as extraordinary as was her talent. I think she was very rude about Geffen's sexual orientation which probably wasn't smart.

I'm putting on the fire proof jacket, over the top of a chain mail vest which is underneath a suit of armour - over rated, Miles Davis. I respect the talent and mastering of the instrument, but it's all just twaddle.

I'm putting on the fire proof jacket, over the top of a chain mail vest which is underneath a suit of armour - over rated, Miles Davis. I respect the talent and mastering of the instrument, but it's all just twaddle.
Brave

Do you not like Jazz?

I don’t like his later period

advertisement

Back