advertisement

£8 pint

I have tried a fair few craft beers and have not liked a single one. They are so far removed from what I consider to be beer I am surprised they do not fall foul of the Trades Description Act: citrussy, mouth imploding, American hops, ridiculous hop rates, fruit and God knows what other adjuncts in a liquid that is invariably thick and murky and that looks, smells and tastes like homebrew gone very badly wrong.

The price, like most things, is what the market will bear. I would not drink it if it were free.

YMMV.
Craft beer isn't for everybody, I like it a lot, you dislike it a lot. It's taken beer in an unexpected direction, the art of brewing has explored some interesting directions in the craft scene and if you're happy with the traditional offerings, I'm happy for you. But it is beer, the brewing process is how you make beer, so dismissing it as somehow 'not beer' is just projecting your personal dislike onto a rapidly growing sector of the market. Noting, of course, that the craft beer scene grew out of the home brewing scene in the US.

Personally, I like the inventiveness. There has always been great variety in beer styles, from mild, bitter, stout, various pale ales, Trappist stuff, even lager... We now have some new styles. If you don't like them, you don't have to drink them.

IME these are getting rarer. Oversized with lines is getting more common
I have not seen an oversized lined pint glass for decades. The major brewers, and others, moved to brim measure since Guinness won against Trading Standards as to what constituted a pint.

Pubs now screw the sparklers tight so you get 15 fluid ounces of liquid and 5 of froth. I have lost count of the times I have had to have pints topped up.

rarely happens in my local
With oversized glasses, why would it?

I can see the commercial advantage in using brim measure to boost profit but the effect on customer irritation and potential lack of repeat business and the waste of staff time in having to top-up pints might be counter-productive in the long run.

I have lost count of the times I have had to have pints topped up.
Ha! As a draught Guinness drinker it happens every time if you are in a pub where your face isn’t known. Sometimes they try it on with a head that is the best part of a quarter of the glass. I usually find I don’t have to say anything, just staring at the glass disbelievingly then raising my eyes to the barperson is enough. ‘Do you want that topped up? Some people like a large head!’ is the usual response. Sure, of course they do... the landlord being top of the list.

I remember Dara O Briain saying one thing he took away with him from his time as a barman was that the head on a pint of Guinness should be 12mm. That (or less) seems acceptable to me.

Normally, in UK, wouldn't touch lager but 20 years of South African holidays meant I acquired a taste for Castle lager, brewed alongside the Newlands cricket ground in Cape Town. 2 miles away is the SA shop and they import containers of SA products from there. Popped in this aft, 6 x Castle for £5 ! Result. Short use by date but can't tell any difference.
They also had the excellent Windhoek and Soweto lagers.

Normally, in UK, wouldn't touch lager but 20 years of South African holidays meant I acquired a taste for Castle lager, brewed alongside the Newlands cricket ground in Cape Town. 2 miles away is the SA shop and they import containers of SA products from there. Popped in this aft, 6 x Castle for £5 ! Result. Short use by date but can't tell any difference.
They also had the excellent Windhoek and Soweto lagers.
Come round some of my local pubs and sample the bad pints of bitter or just plain nasty IPA or so called blonde offerings, and a pint of lager is a blessed relief. At least you know what you're getting.

I heard that Fosters are to market a zero alcohol lager. It's going to be called Fosters;)

it may well taste like piss but........

image.png

but they do produce this sh!t though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KO2R4AS/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back