advertisement

£8 pint

The price of a pint in the UK has increased more than 70 per cent since the 2008 financial crash, hitting £8 for the first time in London as pubs struggle with spiralling inflation. The average price of a pint of beer has risen from £2.30 in 2008 to £3.95 this year, according to data from the industry tracker CGA, with pub companies threatening further price rises as the cost of barley to make beer spirals due to pressures resulting from the war in Ukraine.

https://www.ft.com/content/0a5e29dc-6aa7-4fe0-80ac-56a1141d7194

I've gotten used to paying £6 for a pint of cooking lager in my patch of South That London.

The same report mentioned that the cheapest pub pint in the UK is £1.75 - of what, they did not say, but it was implied that it was sold as some kind of beer.

Drinking at the pub should never really primarily be about the drinking, if it is, the slippery slope beckons..............................................

we are in a beer shop, paying £8.40 for a top notch NEIPA. DIPA is £9.45 a pint, but that is 8%. TIPA is £13.25 @ 9%. Lastly the Stout Wine is £17.85 a pint at 13%

we are in a beer shop, paying £8.40 for a top notch NEIPA. DIPA is £9.45 a pint, but that is 8%. TIPA is £13.25 @ 9%. Lastly the Stout Wine is £17.85 a pint at 13%

New England and Double I assume. I had some amazing NEIPA from Treehouse in Boston recently and have become a convert to the hazy IPA’s common in NE.

I am missing it right now, interested to hear where you can get it.

It’s certainly getting pricey to go out for a few drinks. Around £4 here for a really good pint brewed locally, I have no issue with that. What gets me is pubs charging 8 or 9 quid for a glass of really crap wine. There’s just no excuse for it. Unless we’re in our local wine bar (which is fabulous), my wife now sticks to G&T.

What gets me is pubs charging 8 or 9 quid for a glass of really crap wine.

I realised a couple of years ago that in some of the pubs round here the 'house' wine isn't the cheapest on the list - it's a pound or two more (though generally no better!)

When I queried it I was told the 'house' wine was specially selected and curated by the pub. By their head sommelier no doubt.

St Austell Proper Job £3 a pint in Windsor yesterday but tonight's pub will be a lot more.

Windsor & Eton Brewery were charging £5 this aft at the big event on the Long Walk.

It’s made rounds impossible, a situation I don’t really know how to deal with socially.

Some years back I made the mistake of offering to buy a round of drinks at the Randolph Hotel in Oxford. Fortunately one person only wanted a soft drink, otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to pay!

advertisement

Back