advertisement

What’s your Naim ?

I don't understand the resentment that some people feel toward Naim for providing different power supply options for their preamps and other components. They usually work without them, and no one is holding a gun to your head to upgrade. If you can't control your addiction to upgrading constantly, the fault lies with you, not the manufacturer. Plus if you want to upgrade, you can do it incrementally rather than have to sell or trade in your component for a new one.

I had a Nait 1 back in 1993, moved it on for £90 two years later, replaced with a 32.5/160. The 32.5/160 combination was quite magical, as I remember. I still have the 160, not used it for years.

A relative newbie here. So just the Atom from when it first came out (??2017). Looks great, sounds great, and now seems to go for more second hand than I paid for new -

Two Nait2's for my two office systems.

Got first one in 1993. Got a second, recapped Nait2 several years ago and it sounds better.

I like shoebox Naim, and have owned two NAT01s (at different times), and a Nait 2 - the NAT01/Nait 2 combination is very good, with a full rich sound, but I sold it recently as I was mainly listening to radio using my laptop, not via FM.

I bought a DAC V-1 and NAP100 a few months ago, and have recently added a Unitiserve - it's a modern shoebox stack, and everything seems to work well together. I think the NAP100 is excellent, and probably quite a bit better than the Nait 2, to be frank. The Unitiserve isn't a streamer, but I can control it from my phone and laptop, and it sounds very good. Obviously all of this equipment has been superseded, but I think it still represents good value for money, and is a lot less expensive secondhand! I'd like to try a Muso, partly as a second system, and partly to get better sound from the TV. I've been quite impressed with some of the less expensive bluetooth speakers, but have not yet heard the Naim Muso.

I was also nervous about the PS merry go round with my 282, but then found a used CHC-CAP a few months back (2 x hicap & napsc alternative, which is unusual in my part of the world down under). A bit off topic (being about, but not actually Naim), but poblem solved.

Bought a minty pair of mk1 SBLs because they were available locally for a good price with a view to putting together a nice simple budget second system. Got a bit carried away and went straight to Olive Snaxo HiCap & 2x250s with a NAC-N 272 streaming pre-amp and associated Naim i/c’s & speaker cable. The “simple budget” second system ended up costing at least 10x the purchase price of the loudspeakers that prompted its inception however it was worth every penny as it sounds fantastic & Ive been listening to it everyday (months later the novelty has worn off and I’m actually listening to more music because I want to, not just because the kit is new). The NAC-N 272 is perfect for my uses (digital only), and I’ve been nothing but impressed by its sound & functionality - a separate Naim pre & streamer would’ve blown the budget even further out of the park. Once I’ve had the olive kit serviced I’ll be looking at getting it (the 272) an external power supply to further improve it. As a device that serves as both pre and source component, I’m hoping that adding an upgraded power supply would be advantageous in both areas……. I can see this being a very slippery slope!!

I like shoebox Naim, and have owned two NAT01s (at different times), and a Nait 2 - the NAT01/Nait 2 combination is very good, with a full rich sound, but I sold it recently as I was mainly listening to radio using my laptop, not via FM.

I bought a DAC V-1 and NAP100 a few months ago, and have recently added a Unitiserve - it's a modern shoebox stack, and everything seems to work well together. I think the NAP100 is excellent, and probably quite a bit better than the Nait 2, to be frank. The Unitiserve isn't a streamer, but I can control it from my phone and laptop, and it sounds very good. Obviously all of this equipment has been superseded, but I think it still represents good value for money, and is a lot less expensive secondhand! I'd like to try a Muso, partly as a second system, and partly to get better sound from the TV. I've been quite impressed with some of the less expensive bluetooth speakers, but have not yet heard the Naim Muso.
I always wandered if a volume potentiometer and a selector added to the NAP 100 would have turned it into a contemporary Nait with a retro design.........and the hype that comes with it ?! :eek:
Would have been fun.

I bought a DAC V-1 and NAP100 a few months ago, and have recently added a Unitiserve - it's a modern shoebox stack, and everything seems to work well together. I think the NAP100 is excellent, and probably quite a bit better than the Nait 2, to be frank.
The DAC V-1 & NAP100 is also a combo I'm very interested in. :) (just saw a mint DAC-V1 offered online this week, but the price was a bit too much imho.
(€1200,- where I've seen the much more expensive nDac been offered for prices between € 800,- en € 1000,-)

The DAC V-1 & NAP100 is also a combo I'm very interested in. :) (just saw a mint DAC-V1 offered online this week, but the price was a bit too much imho.
(€1200,- where I've seen the much more expensive nDac been offered for prices between € 800,- en € 1000,-)

That price is nuts, unless it includes a NAP100!

Here is the current set up, together with a MacMini;

(Please excuse dust and untidy cables!)

Still have my CDX, 102, NAPSC, HiCap and 180 that I bought in Saudi in 1997 to 1999. They feed into PMC speakers now, but the Intros are still in my possession.

advertisement

Back