advertisement

Naim, What!!

I wonder when they’ll include the “Statement” pre and power amps on the service list? Could be a few quid for Naim to give them a once over but I guess if you could afford to buy them then servicing is not likely to be an issue!

I wonder when they’ll include the “Statement” pre and power amps on the service list? Could be a few quid for Naim to give them a once over but I guess if you could afford to buy them then servicing is not likely to be an issue!
If it's anything like the charges for old gear, it'll cost more than the pieces are worth, and possibly more than they cost new. From my earlier post about Naim NA's service prices:

NAC72 service: $1295
NAP140 service: $1295
HiCap service: $595
NAIT 2 service: $1395, $1795, or The Ultimate for $2995
Apparently there's something involved that is both secret and magical and makes it worth it to some vs just having a tech do it.

Last edited:
I lusted for a 500 amp back in the days, maybe a good thing it never materialized - looking at current Naim service and support prices

We get it, you think they are ripping people off... now can you stop repeating yourself as no one on here needs to read the same thing over and over as we're all quite bright and understood your whining the first time!

If it's anything like the charges for old gear, it'll cost more than the pieces are worth, and possibly more than they cost new. From my earlier post about Naim NA's service prices:

Apparently there's something involved that is both secret and magical and makes it worth it to some vs just having a tech do it.
I have probably done $1295 worth of work redesigning every board in the 72, getting the PCBs made, and populating them myself. But that for changing a few caps? what?

This appears to be not Naim NA's pricing but that of AV Options, an independant Naim servicer - Chris West who used to work at the Naim factory many years ago, whose work is "factory authorized" (sic).

Yes, this is what AV Options charges -- and if people will pay it, fair play to them I suppose (though as mentioned above, these prices are non-economical, to put it mildly).

Focal Naim America, the importer, also does servicing and will probably be my choice when my 250 needs attention -- though I might just send it across the Atlantic to Class A!

This appears to be not Naim NA's pricing but that of AV Options, an independant Naim servicer - Chris West who used to work at the Naim factory many years ago, whose work is "factory authorized" (sic).
As far as I can tell AV Options is the NA option. Please provide a link to another ‘authorized’ option on the continent if you know of one!

I’ve only used Focal Naim America and not AVOptions, but to be (somewhat) fair to AVOptions, the prices quoted are for full rebuilds, not a basic factory authorized service. If you read the details, they basically strip it down and rebuild it including apparently taking apart and cleaning the selector switches on 32.5s and 72s. Whether all of that is necessary is open for debate, but enough people are willing to do it that they sent me elsewhere last fall. Their site does talk about “recaps”, but the price list is only for rebuilds so not sure if they do basic recaps.

While they don’t do warranty service, the factory is okay enough with what they are doing to supply them with authorized parts.

With both audio equipment and cars, I have sometimes spent close to or even more than the market value of the car/amp/whatever on maintenance or repair. The comparison for me is always the price of the repair relative to what I would have to pay to replace what I have. And in both cases, I should probably learn to do more of it myself….

Yes, this is what AV Options charges -- and if people will pay it, fair play to them I suppose (though as mentioned above, these prices are non-economical, to put it mildly).

Focal Naim America, the importer, also does servicing and will probably be my choice when my 250 needs attention -- though I might just send it across the Atlantic to Class A!
I think it’s really irresponsible (regardless of the price) to imply customers need to be shipping heavy items around the country/world for service every 10-15 years. Release a service manual like practically everyone else does. Even if I picked Focal, that’s would be a 4000 mile journey round trip for some quite heavy packages.

Well, if I owned a Naim unit and found Naim service prices way too steep in the UK, I would take the unit to my local repairman who is well-versed in everything from Mark Levinson - who use him in northern Europe when they can't fix something themselves - to Krell, Technics and Tannoy.

Still, I would think twice about it as in the past I always sent EAR and Naim to the UK for service.

I think it’s really irresponsible (regardless of the price) to imply customers need to be shipping heavy items around the country/world for service every 10-15 years.

A fair point, but a mitigating factor is that most Naim gear is infinitely repairable and will never end up in a landfill. There's something to be said for that, I think.

That’s a big mitigating factor and why I stick to naim olive , to much built in obsolescence these days …

to much built in obsolescence these days

The Naim list gets longer and longer, most of their CD players are no longer supported, first edition Muso are scrap if they fail, Uniti's no longer supported, OLED display screen issue..
On top of this, their prices have gone crazy.
Tempted to buy new Naim boxes ? - No thanks, I'd stick to my Olives.

advertisement

Back