advertisement

Highway Code Changes

Most of todays youth have no concern for pedestrians, the 'Horn' was invented to say I'm driving get out of my way.

I've had my car chipped so the exhaust burns extra fuel and makes it sound more powerful than it is, so I can't slow down for nuffink, innit.

Most of todays youth have no concern for pedestrians, the 'Horn' was invented to say I'm driving get out of my way.

I've had my car chipped so the exhaust burns extra fuel and makes it sound more powerful than it is, so I can't slow down for nuffink, innit.
Not in my experience. Most young men I meet at work don’t seem interesting in that behaviour at all.

It's going to take time for society to catch up with the new arrangements. Knowing is one thing but experience (through practice) takes place over time, which will then lead to an applied understanding of how it all works. If we can learn the rules of the road once, we - both the individual and greater we - can do so again.

Encouraging pedestrians to step out into the road at a junction potentially assuming vehicles will stop isn’t a good thing so we’ll have to agree to disagree.

And this is where your understanding is faulty.

The new guidance is that vehicles should stop if a pedestrian is looking like they are going to cross and not that pedestrians should just walk out in front of vehicles.

And it goes without saying, anytime you're following a learner vehicle from the 29th of this month EXPECT them to stop and give way to pedestrians etc as per the new regs - learner drivers, and presumably, driving instructers, will be among those who adhere to the new regs the most in the very beginning!

Well no.

The previous guidance was to stop for pedestrians if they were actually crossing the road.

The new guidance is to stop for pedestrians if they look like they are intending to cross.
From my link above:

“At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a
road into which or from which you are turning.
You MUST give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing, and to pedestrians
and cyclists on a parallel crossing (see Rule 195).”

“Should” give way means it’s advised but not law. In other words, if stopping in time would require an emergency stop, don’t do it.
The bold MUST means it’s law, and that’s only for crossings.

And this is where your understanding is faulty.

The new guidance is that vehicles should stop if a pedestrian is looking like they are going to cross and not that pedestrians should just walk out in front of vehicles.
I realise the highway code does not instruct or give guidance that pedestrians should walk out in front of vehicles. I did not say it did. And this is where your understanding is not just faulty.

And it goes without saying, anytime you're following a learner vehicle from the 29th of this month EXPECT them to stop and give way to pedestrians etc as per the new regs - learner drivers, and presumably, driving instructers, will be among those who adhere to the new regs the most in the very beginning!
Lots of learner drivers down my street daily as well as the other common sights I mentioned earlier. I will watch with interest how this one pans out. I still will not be crossing at the end of my street if a car is looking like turning into it. Nor anywhere else, for that matter. I am more than happy to wait for the road to be clear.

I realise the highway code does not instruct or give guidance that pedestrians should walk out in front of vehicles. I did not say it did. And this is where your understanding is not just faulty.

Yes you did

"Encouraging pedestrians to step out into the road at a junction potentially assuming vehicles will stop isn’t a good thing so we’ll have to agree to disagree."

Get a grip.

In terms of investigating causes of crashes' properly', this aspect is not new. I applied this with every car v pedestrian RTC I investigated.

Well no.

The previous guidance was to stop for pedestrians if they were actually crossing the road.

The new guidance is to stop for pedestrians if they look like they are intending to cross.

See above.

“At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a

Again, see above. IMV the updated code simply clarifies this. If a pedestrian gives any indication they are commencing to enter the road from either direction/side, the motorist should respond accordingly.

From my link above:

“Should” give way means it’s advised but not law. In other words, if stopping in time would require an emergency stop, don’t do it.
The bold MUST means it’s law, and that’s only for crossings.

It's ok. I do understand the difference between law and guidance.

Instead of running them over?

I mean with regards to the new arrangement whereby drivers should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross instead of the way it used to be whereby pedestrians would wait until it's safe to cross before crossing; obviously, that doesn't imply that pedestrians have right of way no matter what. But that, where possible, drivers should stop and give way to pedestrians waiting to cross.

Let's not forget that The Highway Code doesn't have the force of law. It is, as Bananahead says, guidance. Cases that come before court, either criminal or civil, will still be dealt with on their merits.

advertisement

Back