advertisement

Highway Code Changes

I don’t perceive vitriol in the discussion directly related to the new Highway Code…just discussion. Some of the other comments, maybe…
Exactly.

Right that's it, I'm going to throw myself into the road and if some bastard runs me over it will be their fault!
Crack on. It’s your life and at least the law is on your side. :D

Let's keep in mind that if you're waiting to cross a side street close to a junction with a major road, you probably can't see the traffic which may turn into that side street until quite late. So these rules just make it clearer that motorists should be alert for, and give precedence to, pedestrians in these circumstances.

I agree it makes it clearer that motorists should pay attention when it comes to pedestrians crossing the road, but I'll have to take your word for it on the second part for although I've always been mindful that an unseen hazard (pedestrian, for example) may be just around the corner, upon seeing one well I've always carried on driving in most situations. Sometimes, some sort of communication/negotiation occurs and I invite a given pedestrian to proceed from the kerb or complete their crossing if they've already stepped foot onto the road. But in general, I've always assumed that I should proceed first. Every situation is unique and has to be figured out on its own merits but in general, that's how I've been driving. Please note: I live in Glasgow and so the nuances or a shared understanding, rather of crossing roads as a pedestrian and driving round corners may differ in other parts of the country.

It is concerning that many on here seem to be struggling either to understand the new rules or are grumpy about them due to somehow feeling they are going further impede their vehicular progress. This might just be an indicator to where the problem lies!
Not for the Audi drivers. They won't have anything to do with indicators.

I agree it makes it clearer that motorists should pay attention when it comes to pedestrians crossing the road, but I'll have to take your word for it on the second part for although I've always been mindful that an unseen hazard (pedestrian, for example) may be just around the corner, upon seeing one well I've always carried on driving in most situations. Sometimes, some sort of communication/negotiation occurs and I invite a given pedestrian to proceed from the kerb or complete their crossing if they've already stepped foot onto the road. But in general, I've always assumed that I should proceed first. Every situation is unique and has to be figured out on its own merits but in general, that's how I've been driving. Please note: I live in Glasgow and so the nuances or a shared understanding, rather of crossing roads as a pedestrian and driving round corners may differ in other parts of the country.
Yes, I do agree that all such decisions need to reflect what's happening. An obvious example: I won't invite a person to cross, or slow to let them cross, if there's traffic coming the other way that might not stop - I don't want my action to put a pedestrian at risk in responding to it. My reading of the changes are just making the balance of power and responsibility more clear and explicit.

The systems are not infallible. However, if you are unfortunate to be stopped on a motorway or such with a distracted driver on his mobile phone hurtling down on you from behind, you will want that vehicle to have a working AEB system. It will hopefully save lives, as well as reducing accidents and lowering insurance premiums.
It needs to be!

My biggest reservation with this change is the one about turning a corner then stopping to let a waiting pedestrian cross. There are obvious risks of being 'rear ended', though of course that should be blamed on the following driver. More important is how I distiguish a pedestrian standing at the side of the road, possibly looking at the view, possibly waiting for a friend to cross from the other side, or possibly wanting to cross themselves.
Would it be too much to ask that a pedestrian who actually wants to cross, makes some form of signal? Maybe pointing to the other side for e.g.?

I don't think there's a requirement to let the pedestrian cross, it's couched in terms I understand to mean 'should give consideration to letting a pedestrian cross'. Which is lawyer speak for 'be prepared to stop if needs be, don't just thoughtlessly make the manoeuvre'. Anybody objecting to that has a problem, IMHO.

So this is wrong? Top right picture.

Guidance for all road users with regards to upcoming changes (Jan 29th).

Guardian Article

FH_-uwlWQAI3MxC

FH3VtVwWQAI9tuo

My biggest reservation with this change is the one about turning a corner then stopping to let a waiting pedestrian cross. There are obvious risks of being 'rear ended', though of course that should be blamed on the following driver. More important is how I distiguish a pedestrian standing at the side of the road, possibly looking at the view, possibly waiting for a friend to cross from the other side, or possibly wanting to cross themselves.
Would it be too much to ask that a pedestrian who actually wants to cross, makes some form of signal? Maybe pointing to the other side for e.g.?
Which is basically my reservation, Colin. Safety of the pedestrian when crossing at a junction.

You’ll be safe from a pile-on though. ;)

I don't think there's a requirement to let the pedestrian cross, it's couched in terms I understand to mean 'should give consideration to letting a pedestrian cross'. Which is lawyer speak for 'be prepared to stop if needs be, don't just thoughtlessly make the manoeuvre'. Anybody objecting to that has a problem, IMHO.

My understanding is there is such a requirement.

If the pedestrian in the side road looks like they want to cross, and they make eye contact, you have no choice but to slow/stop and let them cross.
I should think people with various mobility issues and disabilities will be welcoming these changes.

If the pedestrian in the side road looks like they want to cross, and they make eye contact, you have no choice but to slow/stop and let them cross.
I should think people with various mobility issues and disabilities will be welcoming these changes.
I was taught to give way to pedestrians if you were turning into a junction by my driving instructor way back in the 70s I wonder if it was meant be taught and it was then dropped from the Highway Code and has now been reinstated or if it was just his teaching.

I was taught to give way to pedestrians if you were turning into a junction by my driving instructor way back in the 70s I wonder if it was meant be taught and it was then dropped from the Highway Code and has now been reinstated or if it was just his teaching.

In advanced driving, you would always give way to pedestrians waiting to cross a side road through courtesy, as long as it’s safe to do so. It makes for a happy little drive ;)

Be Like Bob

This morning I was halfway across the road before a vehicle turned up our lane, rather than wait he simple drove on the wrong side of the road. Bad driving has little to do with these rule changes. Before turning into a side road your speed should be reduced so you can stop safely if needed.

advertisement

Back