advertisement

Highway Code Changes

I would actually crush the car of people caught using a mobile phone while driving, just so people don’t get the mistaken idea my concerns are based on over protection of the motorist. I believe this particular change is going to result in people being killed and for no benefit.

The problem with that is most people now don't own the vehicle, they just lease it, or it's on HP, or it's a company vehicle etc.

As it stands at present, some motorists think that they are the only people who should be on the roads.

I would go further on some of these junctions too and have a pedestrian crossing type arrangement, maybe in yellow so that motorists / cyclists must give way to pedestrians. Most of these pedestrian priority junctions are going to be in in 20 and 30 mph zones anyway.

I just don’t see how, and I really don’t think you’re looking forward far enough. We need a change of culture, and this is the first part.
There are 2 schools near where I live, there are plenty of pedestrians and cyclists in general and also horses going past my house on a daily basis. It’s not like London or a busy city.

Encouraging pedestrians to step out into the road at a junction potentially assuming vehicles will stop isn’t a good thing so we’ll have to agree to disagree.

The problem with that is most people now don't own the vehicle, they just lease it, or it's on HP, or it's a company vehicle etc.

As it stands at present, some motorists think that they are the only people who should be on the roads.

I would go further on some of these junctions too and have a pedestrian crossing type arrangement, maybe in yellow so that motorists / cyclists must give way to pedestrians. Most of these pedestrian priority junctions are going to be in in 20 and 30 mph zones anyway.
Yes, but I’m sure you get the drift. I’m not defending motorists in any way at all.

People can be killed or seriously injured by vehicles at 15mph.

ps I’m doing something wrong by owning 2 cars. ;)

There are 2 schools near where I live, there are plenty of pedestrians and cyclists in general and also horses going past my house on a daily basis. It’s not like London or a busy city.

Encouraging pedestrians to step out into the road at a junction potentially assuming vehicles will stop isn’t a good thing so we’ll have to agree to disagree.
Where on earth does it encourage people to step into the road assuming vehicles will stop?

I drive.
I would give first offenders using a phone a life ban.

It's never going to become law like that. I do however think that drivers using a mobile phone should face a ban, and 3 months 1st offence ban might ram the message home that it is unacceptable. 2nd offences might meet say a 1 or 2 year ban. 3rd strike a lifetime driving ban?

Yes, but I’m sure you get the drift. I’m not defending motorists in any way at all.

People can be killed or seriously injured by vehicles at 15mph.

ps I’m doing something wrong by owning 2 cars. ;)

There is a problem with some motorists and pedestrians and cyclists. It's not always speed, but some motorists just won't wait a few more seconds to pass safely or allow someone to get across a road. A young lady lost her life being knocked off her bike on New Years Day up here. We don't know what happened and might never know fully, but that happened on a 20mph road.

I was out on my bike last year and got squeezed by a motorists wanting by me at a traffic island pinch point. He passed me far too closely and I caught him at the lights and I spoke to him about it. He said he didn't see me as he was eating his pork pie. This is the motorist that give other motorists a bad name. He was a moron.

There is a problem with some motorists and pedestrians and cyclists. It's not always speed, but some motorists just won't wait a few more seconds to pass safely or allow someone to get across a road. A young lady lost her life being knocked off her bike on New Years Day up here. We don't know what happened and might never know fully, but that happened on a 20mph road.

I was out on my bike last year and got squeezed by a motorists wanting by me at a traffic island pinch point. He passed me far too closely and I caught him at the lights and I spoke to him about it. He said he didn't see me as he was eating his pork pie. This is the motorist that give other motorists a bad name. He was a moron.
I always have a flashing rear light on, and I take up a position in the middle of pinch points. I’ve quite a few tips for myself when cycling!

Where on earth does it encourage people to step into the road assuming vehicles will stop?
Some pedestrians may take for granted vehicles will stop. With this change some pedestrians will become complacent and simply walk across the road without even looking to check if a vehicle is turning into the road. Some may say that won’t happen but imo it might happen and that risk is not worth it given there is no benefit gained from that particular change. imo.

I have no concerns with the changes you mention there, driving too close to cyclists etc, my concern is specifically with pedestrians crossing at junctions.

I think some of us will have to agree to disagree. I will continue to drive with consideration and care as I have done for decades and hope to see my life out without ever knocking anyone down.

I always have a flashing rear light on, and I take up a position in the middle of pinch points. I’ve quite a few tips for myself when cycling!

I know where you are coming from. I usually do similar, but on this occasion, I was wearing a bright orange cycling jacket. I try to avoid the roads as much as possible nowadays, which is a shame and can't always be done.

I think some of us will have to agree to disagree. I will continue to drive with consideration and care as I have done for decades and hope to see my life out without ever knocking anyone down.

Fully agree with this - if we all gave more consideration and care on the roads, they would be a much safer place for us all.

I've knocked someone down and even though it wasn't my fault (young lad on the drink ran across a busy city centre road without looking), it was an awful feeling for me. I managed to get on the brakes and stop very quickly and he bounced off the front of the car and escaped any major injury. It could have been very different. Police, Ambulance were involved etc.

It has been grossly misrepresented by the usual media outlets.
Post links to this misrepresentation by the usual media outlets.

I’ve seen more about it here than in the general media aside from my own internet searches.

Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) is also coming for new vehchles in mid 2022.
Old news, but let's hope future systems are tested in Cornwall and Devon. There was a news item a while back showing a car braking itself every time it saw a hedge on our narrow roads. The man's wife lost all confidence in the car and wouldn't drive it. The manufacturer refused to admit there was anything wrong the system!

Old news, but let's hope future systems are tested in Cornwall and Devon. There was a news item a while back showing a car braking itself every time it saw a hedge on our narrow roads. The man's wife lost all confidence in the car and wouldn't drive it. The manufacturer refused to admit there was anything wrong the system!

The systems are not infallible. However, if you are unfortunate to be stopped on a motorway or such with a distracted driver on his mobile phone hurtling down on you from behind, you will want that vehicle to have a working AEB system. It will hopefully save lives, as well as reducing accidents and lowering insurance premiums.

advertisement

Back