advertisement

Highway Code Changes

farfromthesun

pfm Member
Guidance for all road users with regards to upcoming changes (Jan 29th).

Guardian Article

FH_-uwlWQAI3MxC

FH3VtVwWQAI9tuo

Its a sensible change, probably doesn't go far enough as i would prefer 'presumed liability'. Hopefully there will be some wide ranging public information campaigns around this?

yes seen it in various places but you have put it clearly here . so many folks just walk out in front of cars and expect them to stop that it may not make much difference . just might make rear end collisions even more likely as you cant see why car in front is stopping suddenly

Good to see. I doubt it will prevent much injury to cyclists and pedestrians as so many drivers are just clueless, but it should make suing the shit out of them after an incident a lot easier.

PS I’m surprised not to see ebikes and scooters as a new and distinct category. There are some very fast (and quite heavy) modes of transport that don’t require a license at present, e.g. if you know what you are doing you can certainly build a 50mph ebike! Almost certainly not entirely legally, but the technology is widely available.

Do I take it that the use of direction indicators is still as mandatory for BMW and Audi drivers as it is for the rest of us?

(I know it's a bit of a hoary old chestnut, but they drive amongst us).
In my opinion it is foreigners that do that the most.

My golden rule when walking or cycling in town is not to do anything that might impede a car's rightful progress from point A to point B in the shortest time possible or to expect them to be hindered in anyway by anything as trivial as the life of another road user.

I find this attitude has kept me alive just that bit longer :D

Good to see. I doubt it will prevent much injury to cyclists and pedestrians as so many drivers are just clueless, but it should make suing the shit out of them after an incident a lot easier.

PS I’m surprised not to see ebikes and scooters as a new and distinct category. There are some very fast (and quite heavy) modes of transport that don’t require a license at present, e.g. if you know what you are doing you can certainly build a 50mph ebike! Almost certainly not entirely legally, but the technology is widely available.

AFAIK e-bikes/scooters are prohibited from using public highways unless they are part of an approved pilot scheme ... was an article recently after (yet another) e-bike fatality.
Have been nearly run over a couple of times by idiots who clearly weren't aware of that though.

I’d very much doubt it. They can use whichever route they please in any way shape or form, with complete disregard and impunity to other legitimate users in order to make progress, whether that be road, pavement, pedestrian crossing or footpath.

Pont my dear chap do have a quick look at rule H1 above.

AFAIK e-bikes/scooters are prohibited from using public highways unless they are part of an approved pilot scheme ... was an article recently after (yet another) e-bike fatality.

Yep, you're correct... the pilot schemes are to judge whether they should be allowed on the road. In essence they're a good idea, but right now there are a lot of them being ridden illegally and stupidly. That said there are a lot of motor vehicles driven illegally and stupidly.

When it comes to many cyclists (and many horse riders for that matter) I’ll believe it when I see it!
You must live in that horrible bit of England south of the Wash and east of Bristol. My condolences.

advertisement

Back