advertisement

Highway Code Changes

I mean with regards to the new arrangement whereby drivers should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross instead of the way it used to be whereby pedestrians would wait until it's safe to cross before crossing; obviously, that doesn't imply that pedestrians have right of way no matter what. But that, where possible, drivers should stop and give way to pedestrians waiting to cross.

Again, you’re mixing ‘crossing the road’ with ‘pedestrian crossing’.

Again, you’re mixing ‘crossing the road’ with ‘pedestrian crossing’.

The wording here is the basis of why I'm saying drivers should, where possible, give way to pedestrians waiting to cross. I'm making no inference of scope beyond that: "At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning."

I still will not be crossing at the end of my street if a car is looking like turning into it. Nor anywhere else, for that matter. I am more than happy to wait for the road to be clear.

... but that's not what the code suggests. If you're waiting to cross, the vehicle turning from or into your street should give way to you.

If it does, you cross. If it does not, you stay put.

You should not step into the road if the matter is in doubt. Only once the vehicle has given way to you.

The wording here is the basis of why I'm saying drivers should, where possible, give way to pedestrians waiting to cross. I'm making no inference of scope beyond that: "At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning."
In a housing estate, that’s generally what happens anyway, even though it hasn’t been a requirement.

Many people have no idea of traffic law at all beyond a rough idea of what a speed limit is. I’ve been a passenger in cars driven by intelligent people who think the National speed limit on a dual carriageway for a car is 60mph. Almost nobody understands yellow box junction rules. Rarely does anyone understand the rules for overtaking within the zigzags at a pedestrian crossing. I could go on.

And yet, we don’t have carnage on our roads. I spent most of the 90s in Saudi: almost non-existent driving test; rarely applied speed limits; petrol 3p per litre; poorly laid out roads: poorly maintained cars; belief in ‘god’s will’.

The U.K. roads are a delight. Frustrating at times, but rarely do they scare me at all. Even as a pedestrian or cyclist.

... but that's not what the code suggests. If you're waiting to cross, the vehicle turning from or into your street should give way to you.

If it does, you cross. If it does not, you stay put.

You should not step into the road if the matter is in doubt. Only once the vehicle has given way to you.
Yes, I agree. However, we are talking about people, aren’t we? We know what people should do, my concern is people getting it wrong and just walking out into the road. I thought my concern is obvious even if some don’t agree but it seems not, so I’ll leave you lot to it and we will see how this one pans out.

People have walked into the paths of moving vehicles since, well, 1884? I’ve even seen numpties walk onto a rally stage with a 6R4 coming at them, full screaming blat, at over 100mph. Those sorts of people don’t have a brain, so no laws can protect them. Physical barriers can keep them safe, that’s about it.

I mean with regards to the new arrangement whereby drivers should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross instead of the way it used to be whereby pedestrians would wait until it's safe to cross before crossing; obviously, that doesn't imply that pedestrians have right of way no matter what. But that, where possible, drivers should stop and give way to pedestrians waiting to cross.
Let's keep in mind that if you're waiting to cross a side street close to a junction with a major road, you probably can't see the traffic which may turn into that side street until quite late. So these rules just make it clearer that motorists should be alert for, and give precedence to, pedestrians in these circumstances.

And now you don't even understand yourself from one post to the next.

Try here
An infantile reaction from you to a difference of opinion. :D

I understand exactly what I mean, I believe most others do too even if they disagree. If you don't understand that's too bad.

Are they replacing Toucan crossings?
No, they are effectively a zebra crossing with an additional lane running parallel. Toucans are signal controlled for safety - as opposed to flashing beacons.

Incidentally, the cycling-embassy.org.uk link notes parallel crossings have ped/cylcist priority but the photo contradicts this by showing a Give Way sign?

I don’t perceive vitriol in the discussion directly related to the new Highway Code…just discussion. Some of the other comments, maybe…

Incidentally, the cycling-embassy.org.uk link notes parallel crossings have ped/cylcist priority but the photo contradicts this by showing a Give Way sign?

I noticed that Give Way sign for pedestrians and cyclists too, which does contradict the guidance/rule.

advertisement

Back