advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-40 speaker cables

Cables being sent on to @Ian G today.

Prima Luna Evo400, Naim ND5XS2, Q Acoustics Concept300, Michell Gyro SE, Pathos In The Groove 2, Hana ML

My time with the LS40's was not as fruitful as past reviewers.

Overall, was rather unimpressed I am afraid.

However, I must note that I am comparing these to cables that once where known as one the 'pinnacles' and 'gold standard' of hifi cable, Cardas Golden Cross (one step down from their flagship Golden Reference, back in the day), therefore they are at completely different price points. I can see online that a 4m set of Cardas Golden Cross in 1998, cost around £1800, in todays money that would be £3200 approx, against the LS40's price of £1140, so I believe a fairer comparison will be with the LS80's given there higher price point at £2060.

Todays Cardas flagship cable is a ridiculous price, I could only find one place 'Audiofreaks' quoting £17k for a five metre set! I mean, that's just silly.

Thoughts on the LS40's against the Golden Cross.

The LS40’s sadly failed to match the quality of the Golden Crosses, however they did hold similar qualities of the GC which will definitely be favourable to many at their price point.

With the LS40's against the GR's, I found the bass was increasingly smeared rather than precise and tuneful, edges smudged each other. There was a wholesome sense of warmth from the LS40’s, but they seem to sacrifice detail to obtain this, with the Cardas cables, they have both, intense detail and harmonic warmth that created realism and absorbing musical engagement. The LS40’s seamed to blur everything together in comparison, with little definition and whatever I tried listening to sounded flatter, duller with no real leading edges or timbre and surrounded by a general merge. The volume had to be raised to achieve the same level as with the Cardas and timing was far too laid back, almost like the cables had had a little spliff before doing their job.

I proceeded to swap back and forth a few times, and generally came to same conclusion, even when asking a friend to swap them for me so I could reduce what could have been bias. Each cable set was easily identifiable.

I left them in place running for a day or so as I appreciate they have been in a couriers van for a few days prior to first listening, but I didn’t see any changes over their initial plug in.

Evidently , these are a mid range cable in the EWA line up, and if I had the opportunity to mind wipe and compare with a cheaper set of cables or something like Van Damme (cause ya know they are used in ALL THE recording studios in the world! BlahBlah (they aren't )) or maybe Townshend Isolda then I expect my opinion would be different because the LS40's did sound nice and had real potential, they sure had soul, they just hadn't grown enough. They need to put on a Saville row suit and promote their abilities, and cast the jeans and shirt to the laundry, they need to define their edges and push through mediocrity. Maybe that's what the LS80's do?

What I did realise with the LS40's is that they are almost like a baby brother to the Golden Cross. They have many aspects of the Cardas cable that made it so special in the first place - that musical warmth and reduction of digital glare and hash - which is a welcomed element at their price point (as it has hard to find!), and they do portray a very fair musical rendition, but for me, overall they were lacking in detail and left me wanting for more, and knowing it existed elsewhere, while retaining the musical qualities was difficult to balance.

I do wish I had cheaper alternatives to compare it to, and this is why I have repeatedly mentioned I am comparing these against much more expensive cables, the same with components, we wouldn't expect a £1K amp to be as good as a £3k amp, and I do feel the EWA's are probably one of the better cables in their price arena, because they sound natural, and not etched and modified like so many do (looking at you Tellurium Q). They don't glare nor do they enhance anything so it sounds 'wow' but 'out of balance' and gives you a headache after a while like so many cables do, especially in the lower price points. There is real potential here.

I look forward to comparing against the LS80's as this would be a much fairer 'shoot out' but it does show that cable is really built to fit into a heirarchy structure. Spend more, get more. However, it was great to get the opportunity to try them out at the cost of a courier, and I definitely look forward to the LS80's!

Last edited:
Interesting and pretty honest review without being a 'keyboard warrior'.
I have a set of LS-40 coming imminently, and will be compared against the incumbent JPS Superconductor V. Similar price point to your Cardas GC.
My feeling isa if the LS-40 shows potential, I might then leap to the LS-80, but i wanted the 40's to hint at greatness first !
Anyway, Alan of ABC has been an absolute gent to deal with, so when i get the LS-40 I will do a review similar to FW's.
My amp is a YBA IA350, and coincidentally, speakers are also Q Concept 300.
Will report back!

The LS40 is less money - and i do need a set of speaker cables to hear the speakers dont i ?
Also, I have shifted so much stuff - if i want to go mad on a set of speaker cables so what!

You can of course get yourself some bell wire from BQ for a £1 and rock out like @booja30

You can of course get yourself some bell wire from BQ for a £1 and rock out like @booja30

Or you can chase diminishing returns and go for something that costs thousands. Or compromise:

amazon.es/Cable-altavoz-blanco-DCSk-aislamiento/dp/B019FXM6QI

I feel fortunate that I'm not concerned with sound quality differences between cables that are orders of magnitude apart price-wise. And if I have several thousand and feel the need to spend it on myself it's probably going to be a mountain bike. ;)

Or you can chase diminishing returns and go for something that costs thousands. Or compromise:

I feel fortunate that I'm not concerned with sound quality differences between cables that are orders of magnitude apart price-wise. And if I have several thousand and feel the need to spend it on myself it's probably going to be a mountain bike. ;)

Troll, bated. LMAO.

Last edited:

Can you re-do the link, I've gone to Amazon es but cannot find what you have quoted

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back