advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-40 speaker cables

@DimitryZ most of us in the EWA threads haven't been too bothered about the construction, technical details etc. We've had enough of everyone who says cables make no difference (they are entitled to their views) and surprisingly, many of us seem to have reasonable ears that have led us to become happy owners..............
Even those who haven't been persuaded to buy have given constructive commentary - in part because of Colin/Alan's generosity in allowing a set of cables to be tried out with no money up front. That's confidence and trust for you.....

I would like to chip in that I have never bought a product because of its construction or published specs. This thread has been mercifully a happier place for not willy waving over such matters. The bottom line is EWA have a product which they felt was worth letting people here try for free and make up their own minds in their own system. Simple as that, no BS no pressure to buy just pass on to the next person and no need to complicate matters.

@DimitryZ most of us in the EWA threads haven't been too bothered about the construction, technical details etc. We've had enough of everyone who says cables make no difference (they are entitled to their views) and surprisingly, many of us seem to have reasonable ears that have led us to become happy owners..............
Even those who haven't been persuaded to buy have given constructive commentary - in part because of Colin/Alan's generosity in allowing a set of cables to be tried out with no money up front. That's confidence and trust for you.....
Absolutely, I understand and it's a fair business strategy.

I would like to chip in that I have never bought a product because of its construction or published specs. This thread has been mercifully a happier place for not willy waving over such matters. The bottom line is EWA have a product which they felt was worth letting people here try for free and make up their own minds in their own system. Simple as that, no BS no pressure to buy just pass on to the next person and no need to complicate matters.
Try before you buy is good for the consumer.

I am nothing, if not a smart strategist! o_O

Actually, I've been on pfm since 2007 and that's probably more than ten years before I joined Facebook. I don't take issue with the substance of your point, but my motive is genuinely to add to the community here.

ABCaudio has been a 'thing' for just over three years now, and my social media nous leaves much to be desired. I can't even be bothered to maintain a regular blog at the website, which I am told is beneficial to share to social media. Our social media presence is a bit of a joke, aside from here. Oh well...

As an aside, a newbie question: is there any reason to think that the LS-40 has the wrong capacitance & inductance for my Naim NAP150? Looking at the webpage, it seems close to NACA5 in its properties, but I don't know what's "close enough". I also don't know what length is going around in the PFM tour right now. It's also not really a vintage Naim amp, so maybe it's not as sensitive to speaker cable properties (but still lacks a Zobel network I think)?

Edit: just saw that the tour pair is 3M so I think it should pose no problems. Nevermind!

You should be fine, although Colin will be able to explain exactly why.

The original Tellurium Q concept was first offered to Naim, when Colin was consulting there (on the SN, the 5i, and Bentley). It was about the time of the Focal tie in, so it wasn't taken up. Both TQ and EWA 'speaker cables are perfectly benign with Naim amplifiers, it's one of the things they have in common.

As an aside, a newbie question: is there any reason to think that the LS-40 has the wrong capacitance & inductance for my Naim NAP150? Looking at the webpage, it seems close to NACA5 in its properties, but I don't know what's "close enough". I also don't know what length is going around in the PFM tour right now. It's also not really a vintage Naim amp, so maybe it's not as sensitive to speaker cable properties (but still lacks a Zobel network I think)?

Edit: just saw that the tour pair is 3M so I think it should pose no problems. Nevermind!

Litz wire was used in Monster Cables in late 1980s. There is very little new under the sun.

Perhaps the pushback from the engineering community was due to litz wire being associated with high frequency applications - radar, microwave and high frequency SMPSs.

In the late 1970,s Alan Elsdon and I formed a company and we produced amplifiers called the "Dreadnought" They were bright blue and 200 and 300w/ch.
At the same time we made speaker cable using true Litz or as it was none in the SMPS industry magnetic wire. QED had a braided twin colour cable with a high capacitance which causes dreadful instability in may amps including Naim and NVA. This was the followed by Monster Cable this cable I use today as jump leads for the car as it is very flexible but it is not Litz. Then as in the QED cable the use of Litz in such a high capacitance configuration was pointless has the advantage of Litz was quashed by this massive capacitance and we have crude filter. Now when I was on the design team for a large MIL company we used Litz for transformer and on Sonar Buoys and Torpedo's Ultra Sonics , On large transformers for SMPS we used foil and polyester tape to make a crude flat Litz.
In the late 1990 I redesigned the Naim Nat to become the 5i version the reason was the Mica/insulation under the power device produced a high capacitance on the collector to chassis (earth) causing with some cables stability problems, I used ceramic insulator not only did it reduce this nasty bi-product but reduced cost (no extra Al plate) and run cooler. Problem solved.
Many folk assumed then and now wire is wire wrong it is very very important. The balance between capacitance, magnetic coupling and speed is not easy to get right and at what length that is common 1M - 10M?
Oh silk is good as long as there is no water vapour in the wire. But the cost is silly.

You should be fine, although Colin will be able to explain exactly why.

The original Tellurium Q concept was first offered to Naim, when Colin was consulting there (on the SN, the 5i, and Bentley). It was about the time of the Focal tie in, so it wasn't taken up. Both TQ and EWA 'speaker cables are perfectly benign with Naim amplifiers, it's one of the things they have in common.

SBO Alan. The cable was offered to them under my company Catch XXII before TQ was thought of. And Alan Elsdon and I started this in the late 1970, when wire was wire or wet string. ;)

Two thing in common not one ME and stability with NVA, Naim and many more.

In the late 1970,s Alan Elsdon and I formed a company and we produced amplifiers called the "Dreadnought" They were bright blue and 200 and 300w/ch.
At the same time we made speaker cable using true Litz or as it was none in the SMPS industry magnetic wire. QED had a braided twin colour cable with a high capacitance which causes dreadful instability in may amps including Naim and NVA. This was the followed by Monster Cable this cable I use today as jump leads for the car as it is very flexible but it is not Litz. Then as in the QED cable the use of Litz in such a high capacitance configuration was pointless has the advantage of Litz was quashed by this massive capacitance and we have crude filter. Now when I was on the design team for a large MIL company we used Litz for transformer and on Sonar Buoys and Torpedo's Ultra Sonics , On large transformers for SMPS we used foil and polyester tape to make a crude flat Litz.
In the late 1990 I redesigned the Naim Nat to become the 5i version the reason was the Mica/insulation under the power device produced a high capacitance on the collector to chassis (earth) causing with some cables stability problems, I used ceramic insulator not only did it reduce this nasty bi-product but reduced cost (no extra Al plate) and run cooler. Problem solved.
Many folk assumed then and now wire is wire wrong it is very very important. The balance between capacitance, magnetic coupling and speed is not easy to get right and at what length that is common 1M - 10M?
Oh silk is good as long as there is no water vapour in the wire. But the cost is silly.
That's a very impressive career!

I have been busy, bored working for others, lots and lots of PSU work. from 1.1V at 10mA to 55V 100KA, and 150KVDC at 1A. 50Hz,60Hz,400Hz, up to 2.5MHz, soft iron, ferrite, piezo. FET's IGBT, Thyristors and those strange glass things you call the Tubes. Hg Rectifiers where fun. And I can Glass blow, but write not a chance. Now have trouble walking too just as life gets interesting.
But my worse experience work and personnel wise was that other cable company I started no names. shhhh Heart surgery/stroke/sepsis /suicidal depression dumped in that order. Rescued by real friends Alan E., Alan B., Maria, Quickie, Marc, Katia, Sam, and Dr David Yurth and his stories, and some fun work we did.

EWA LS40 5m (Alan)
- Balanced out the sound again
- Much more natural instruments and voices
- Lowered distorted sounds immensely
- Bass is kicking and tight (thump!)
- Loads of insight
- Open, detailed but lets music flow

I noticed you went from Chord Epic to EWA LS40. I owned the Epic before and the bass sounded full but lacked the punch, tightness and layering/texture. In other words, it's a big ballsy bass with a lack of definition and detail. It is useful to note that the LS40 improved on these aspects.

EWA IC25 USB
- Possibly one of the best additions
- A cherry on top that appeared to shrink the noise floor so much that the treble stop sounding hashed and grainy
- I actually love the USB effect
Again, useful to know that you heard a difference with USB cables. :D That's my experience as well going from the low range Wireworld Indigo to Tellurium Q Ultra Silver.

Very interesting thread as I was not aware of these cables. I’m using 6m of QED XT40i between a luxman590 and neat motive SX1. Has anyone compared the LS-40 with QED?

I had qed xt40 many years ago the ls40 are in a different league. Get on the trial you wont be disappointed

Hi Colin,

Hope you are well.

Do you know if it's possible to try an M50 before purchasing? Or is it made to order only.

I'm guessing it's a pretty straight up sounding piece of kit, judging by the EWA cable performance.

I listen to lots of electronic music. Amongst other genres like acoustic, rock , pop.

Cheers
Adam

advertisement

Back