advertisement

Thinking of selling it all, or massive downgrade at least......

Delicate and fiddly turntable / family

Just out of curiosity, what makes the Thales so fiddly? I've never used one, but they look quite elegant and simple to use.

I think the Dutch & Dutch 8c speaker system would be worth checking out. Very compact - just a small control box and active speakers - and does room correction, which could be helpful for placing them in a family-friendly spot in your room.

Just out of curiosity, what makes the Thales so fiddly? I've never used one, but they look quite elegant and simple to use.

I think the Dutch & Dutch 8c speaker system would be worth checking out. Very compact - just a small control box and active speakers - and does room correction, which could be helpful for placing them in a family-friendly spot in your room.

Re the TT, large cover over it - heavy - multi position rear switch - as battery charging it's key to battery life - ive explained it many times, but do they get it?! Then more switches on the front, fiddly stylus guard on £7k cartridge, the fact it's a £7k cart, tonearm that has exposed and very delicate wires.

The whole thing is fine for me to operate, but is complex, fiddly, delivate and hugely expensive - the fact is - noone else will use it. This is the problem.
If i had (for example) a Rega P 10, very simple to operate and use + I dont have to hold my breath every time anyone goes near it.....

I have though about the D&D and Kii. Will def investigate both. I hope Keith still has that coffee machine.........

Re the TT, large cover over it - heavy - multi position rear switch - as battery charging it's key to battery life - ive explained it many times, but do they get it?! Then more switches on the front, fiddly stylus guard on £7k cartridge, the fact it's a £7k cart, tonearm that has exposed and very delicate wires.

The whole thing is fine for me to operate, but is complex, fiddly, delivate and hugely expensive - the fact is - noone else will use it. This is the problem.
If i had (for example) a Rega P 10, very simple to operate and use + I dont have to hold my breath every time anyone goes near it.....
There is some merit in a (semi) automatic TT like a new Technics DD.

I get it, you don’t like the NAD!
I might not too, or I might find it the best option.
But for now, yes I read you loud and clear on YOUR view/opinion on this!

What you really, really want is an Audionet DNA 2.0 streamer/pre/DAC/room correction thingy amp - and even better with its EPS power supply. Simple high-end'ish solution. Full disclosure - I might be persuaded to part with mine if you ask nicely! :D

Yeah they are amazing decks, run on rechargeable battery. Factory tour vid

Really struggling to understand why they would do that. If they use an ac motor then they need an inverter and if they use a dc motor it needs a very precise dc voltage (usually with torque compensation). A precise dc voltage needs a regulator, which negates the need for batteries.
Seems like massive hassle to solve a non-problem.

Anyway maybe best to get back on topic before I upset the OP.

When you put it that way... yeah, no "normal" person is going to go anywhere near it! It's to your credit that you've encouraged them to use the TT, though.

Not sure if this floats your boat, but I for one am intrigued by the PTP Lenco idler decks. They seem pretty bulletproof and you can order one in a color your family likes -- could be a collaborative process! That said, the Regas are dead simple to use and would suit nicely.

When you put it that way... yeah, no "normal" person is going to go anywhere near it! It's to your credit that you've encouraged them to use the TT, though.

Not sure if this floats your boat, but I for one am intrigued by the PTP Lenco idler decks. They seem pretty bulletproof and you can order one in a color your family likes -- could be a collaborative process! That said, the Regas are dead simple to use and would suit nicely.

I have both a PTP Lenco and a Rega. Both are very simple to use and once set up are plug and play.

It seems to me that the issue the OP is having is that he has ended up with some nice sounding but complicated equipment that creates a psychological disincentive to using it. "Downsizing" to some of the options which have been suggested in this thread sounds good in theory, but I suspect the sound quality would plummet to an unacceptable level.

Personally, I would keep the Devore speakers, and just get rid of the valves and get a simpler turntable. An LFD amplifier would sound excellent with the Devores, with a PTP or Rega turntable and Rega Aura phono stage. Replace the Bartok with a Mytek Brooklyn (which I actually think sounds better than a Bartok anyway). Simpler system, always ready to go, and I suspect would sound as good as what you currently have.

I find it difficult to believe that a whole family would use a turntable. I know I wouldn't feel good about playing/handling someone else's treasured collection even if the cartridge was 'only' a grand ...

It will end in tears or at best, still no one using it.

That and keeping/cleaning/playing records is a faff and takes up considerable space which kind of ... goes against the idea of 'down sizing' and simplifying ones Hifi.

If you really want everyone involved stick to a newer format. BT/streaming seems the obvious space efficient solution but even CD's are friendlier to handle than records.

We've been here before and I keep out from hereon but will watch with interest on what the OP will actually do.

Last edited:
Why not add a second turtable that everyone uses? Place it so it is easy to access. If it ends up getting used a lot, then consider selling the fiddly one.

You may have covered this up thread and apologies if that is the case but how tied are you the the family having access to the kit?

None of my 5 kids - aged 15-36 - make any use of hi fi. They all get their music from their phones. One uses Sonos, another has some lovely little Ruark bluetooth speakers, the rest use Spotify via various bluetooth speakers or headphones. To put this in context, one of them has a music room with 6 guitars, valve amps and a block of pedals. He has a small Richer Sounds system I bought him when he was a student but only uses it to stream Spotify via a chromecast type gadget

About ten years ago we created a smallish second lounge ( 10 ft x 14ft) at the back of the house and I moved the hi fi into it. We found that, if I was playing music, especially jazz, everyone else went to different rooms and I had to fit my music playing around others use of the tv. We do have the rest of the house kitted out with various Sonos speakers which actually sounds great, esp the bigger play 5, which everyone uses. If any of the others had CD or vinyl collections I may have gone down a different route but the hi fi is now seen as a quirky old mans project. They'd all be welcome to use it but in reality no-one does.

It tends to be the case that I'm the only person who listens to music as a single focused activity - everyone else has it on while they're doing other things so this works well for us. A while back some good friends told us that the secret to their happy relationship was having two lounges and re-purposing the back room, which became a spare bedroom when older kids moved out, has certainly helped!

The point being - are you sure downgrading will lead to the increased use of the system by others? ( For this to be a solution it is, of course, all premised by you being lucky enough to have flexible space)

Edit - the biggest problem I've had is the cat who does like to sit and listen to jazz but does so by sitting on the turntable when it is revolving - I've a Gyro and she thinks the spinning weights are a cat toy. I had to invest in a heavy and cumbersome turntable cover which is a PITA but has saved all but one record ( Costello's Imperial Bedroom had a cat spinning on it which led to the purchase of the cover :eek:).

This thread is truly the gift that keeps on giving.
Whats better than spending someone else's money and foisting your own preferences and prejudices on them, all from the comfort of your own chair with no risk of a punch on the nose.

And btw, I would etc..etc.. :D:D:D

You may have covered this up thread and apologies if that is the case but how tied are you the the family having access to the kit?

None of my 5 kids - aged 15-36 - make any use of hi fi. They all get their music from their phones. One uses Sonos, another has some lovely little Ruark bluetooth speakers, the rest use Spotify via various bluetooth speakers or headphones. To put this in context, one of them has a music room with 6 guitars, valve amps and a block of pedals. He has a small Richer Sounds system I bought him when he was a student but only uses it to stream Spotify via a chromecast type gadget

About ten years ago we created a smallish second lounge ( 10 ft x 14ft) at the back of the house and I moved the hi fi into it. We found that, if I was playing music, especially jazz, everyone else went to different rooms and I had to fit my music playing around others use of the tv. We do have the rest of the house kitted out with various Sonos speakers which actually sounds great, esp the bigger play 5, which everyone uses. If any of the others had CD or vinyl collections I may have gone down a different route but the hi fi is now seen as a quirky old mans project. They'd all be welcome to use it but in reality no-one does.

It tends to be the case that I'm the only person who listens to music as a single focused activity - everyone else has it on while they're doing other things so this works well for us. A while back some good friends told us that the secret to their happy relationship was having two lounges and re-purposing the back room, which became a spare bedroom when older kids moved out, has certainly helped!

The point being - are you sure downgrading will lead to the increased use of the system by others? ( For this to be a solution it is, of course, all premised by you being lucky enough to have flexible space)
Keep in mind making it family friendly isn't the only goal. It was also to reduce the investment in something that takes up a great deal of space and is only used by one member of the family! Even if the new setup is still only used by the OP, downsizing will still make the space more friendly to the people who use it for other purposes.

advertisement

Back