advertisement

Thinking of selling it all, or massive downgrade at least......

So , a week and 22 pages later, what are you letting go?

Good time as any for an update!
I’m trying to get some demos sorted for various bits of kit before I start selling anything.
Going to try and listen to some actives - be good to see Keith - so the Kii and D&D as suggested.
Passive wise, the NAD M33 is still on the radar along with Hegel H390 and Naim Unity Nova. Tbh the NAD interests me most due to the sheer breadth of ability, the Purify modules and the Dirac live.
Speaker wise, I’ll be listening to some Marten and QLN. It’s always been a Rega Planar 10 if I change TT.

It may turn out revelatory, that the drop off in ultimate performance doesn’t bother me so much and I press ahead. If so, things get advertised, sold or not. Hello storage unit!

Ultimately, it’s just stuff and the whole point of this is to get better balance in my life. Less clutter, more inclusivity and better use of resources. The overwhelming majority of people on Pfm (and friends) have been supportive and encouraging over these changes. There have been a few who just can’t get their heads around me selling some of this wonderful hifi equipment I’ve accumulated.
It won’t be easy and I will miss it! When I’ve sold sports cars, I’ve missed them too, but I’ve enjoyed what came after, even if a lesser car.
Guess what, the world kept turning, no one died. As I say, it’s just stuff.

I’m trying to get some demos sorted for various bits of kit before I start selling anything.
Going to try and listen to some actives - be good to see Keith - so the Kii and D&D as suggested.
I purchased my D&D 8c's from Keith @Purite Audio who is more than helpful. I did make a comparison with the Kii's at Keith's, but to really tell how good they are and whether or not they are for you in your circumstances they do need to be setup with the DSP in your own room. Keith did this with both the demo pair and again with my own pair when they arrived. Measuring the room and making the speaker adjustments.

If you want to still run a turntable (or two ;)) you will need to run them from a preamp as I do (L-07D with two arms into Burmester 808 with two built in phono modules). The DSP room correction allows a greater amount of flexibility in placement than with non room corrected speakers, although ideally for the best bass extension they should be within about 50cm of the wall behind them. My partner was more than pleased with this as they are smaller, even with the stands, and they ended up further back and into the corners than my previous active Meridian M10's. So they do not dominate the room anywhere near as much.

Keith very kindly allowed me a very extended loan as I needed to be convinced that they are transparent to the source as vinyl is still the main source in my case. I'm convinced they are or at least that the overall sound is much better than I had previously and the room has less clutter.

Passive wise, the NAD M33 is still on the radar along with Hegel H390 and Naim Unity Nova. Tbh the NAD interests me most due to the sheer breadth of ability, the Purify modules and the Dirac live.
I have a Hegel 390 as my second amp (first is an Accuphase E-480). It's very good, and very flexible (which was why I chose it), but the 590 is quite a lot better. The digital side of the 390 and 590 are essentially identical, but the analogue side of the 590 is where the extra money has gone and it shows. Given where you're coming 'down' from, you might find the 390 a step too far, but if you can justify it, maybe check out the 590 too. Not heard the NAD M33, but still have a soft spot for the old school heavyweight NAD M Series stuff, so if it's anything like that, it should be very good. Either way, I'd be interested to hear about your thoughts after audition.

The lack of proper lid would put me off the P10 in a shared room. I’d go for something like a Technics G (they do look awful though).

Not my problem though & the OP will get a great outcome I’m sure.

I'll be interested to hear how your search goes. Best of luck. So far I've kept my multi box Naim system, but I look at things like the D&D 8C, Kii and ATCs and think mmm. Even an LP12, Klimax DS and Akudoriks is pretty neat by comparison if possessing a very challenging price tag!
A Linn Selekt DSM would appear to fit the bill perfectly... either exakt hub version with Akudoriks or put the power amp cards in and you could use any passive speaker...

One of the things I haven't joined up is that feeling of being 12/13/14 years old whatever it was and having a personal cassette player and being able to wonder around in a completely private world of sound and the flip side of that of 'come listen to this isn't it amazing', both wanting music to be private and shared at the same time.

Absolutely spot on!

It may turn out revelatory, that the drop off in ultimate performance doesn’t bother me so much and I press ahead. If so, things get advertised, sold or not. Hello storage unit!

When I got rid of the boxes in 2016 and bought a Devialet Expert 250 Pro, one of my main considerations was the phono side. I previously had a bespoke valve phono stage with dual MM and MC inputs. The Expert is programmable and I have always had it set up for two phono inputs. The internal phono stage really is excellent, so no need for an external pre-amplifier. It's a pretty good phono system as well - Koetsu Urushi, Origin Live Illustrious, etc.

Last year I wanted to try the EAR Phonobox as an external phono pre-amp, which is a simple matter of re-programming the MC input as a line input. This is done by adjusting the settings online and copying a .txt file to an SD card. When you switch the cards over you don't even have to turn the unit off. I know other people who use external phono stages with Expert Pro, including someone who uses a Brinkmann Edison II that costs more than the Devialet unit.

Kii and D&D 8c came out after I bought my Expert Pro and I spoke to Keith, but ultimately I wanted to keep my Harbeth. I thought about the 8c with an impending renovation, but ultimately the wife did not like the look of them.

Having a player that is easy to use has resulted in the family using it, so they appreciate it. One kid (now 24, no longer here) uses the vinyl, the other uses Spotify. My wife uses Roon.

When it came to the renovation the speakers had to be changed, the wife was fully engaged and she chose Wilson Sabrina, which sound lovely and look fantastic. So I ended up with a better sounding system than I started with.

Some cheaper units might be a compromise, but others definitely are not. I've seen Hegel 390 and 590 driving very serious systems and I saw my dealer just installed a Devialet Expert dual mono system with a £180,000 pair of Focal speakers.

After slimming down the boxes, I get a bit paranoid about adding anything, like the EAR Phonobox. The current boxes are, Turntable, Devialet, EAR Phonobox, Turntable power supply, Shunyata Hydra Alpha mains conditioner. The EAR and turntable power supply are small narrow units and take up little space. I have a server, in my office.

What is great about the NAD M33, Uniti Atom, CA EVO and things like that is the connectivity and ease of use and the great design. They are meant to be seen. Devialet does the same, but mine is in a cupboard and controlled by Roon.

When I got rid of the boxes in 2016 and bought a Devialet Expert 250 Pro, one of my main considerations was the phono side. I previously had a bespoke valve phono stage with dual MM and MC inputs. The Expert is programmable and I have always had it set up for two phono inputs. The internal phono stage really is excellent, so no need for an external pre-amplifier. It's a pretty good phono system as well - Koetsu Urushi, Origin Live Illustrious, etc.

Last year I wanted to try the EAR Phonobox as an external phono pre-amp, which is a simple matter of re-programming the MC input as a line input. This is done by adjusting the settings online and copying a .txt file to an SD card. When you switch the cards over you don't even have to turn the unit off. I know other people who use external phono stages with Expert Pro, including someone who uses a Brinkmann Edison II that costs more than the Devialet unit.

Kii and D&D 8c came out after I bought my Expert Pro and I spoke to Keith, but ultimately I wanted to keep my Harbeth. I thought about the 8c with an impending renovation, but ultimately the wife did not like the look of them.

Having a player that is easy to use has resulted in the family using it, so they appreciate it. One kid (now 24, no longer here) uses the vinyl, the other uses Spotify. My wife uses Roon.

When it came to the renovation the speakers had to be changed, the wife was fully engaged and she chose Wilson Sabrina, which sound lovely and look fantastic. So I ended up with a better sounding system than I started with.

Some cheaper units might be a compromise, but others definitely are not. I've seen Hegel 390 and 590 driving very serious systems and I saw my dealer just installed a Devialet Expert dual mono system with a £180,000 pair of Focal speakers.

After slimming down the boxes, I get a bit paranoid about adding anything, like the EAR Phonobox. The current boxes are, Turntable, Devialet, EAR Phonobox, Turntable power supply, Shunyata Hydra Alpha mains conditioner. The EAR and turntable power supply are small narrow units and take up little space. I have a server, in my office.

What is great about the NAD M33, Uniti Atom, CA EVO and things like that is the connectivity and ease of use and the great design. They are meant to be seen. Devialet does the same, but mine is in a cupboard and controlled by Roon.

Interesting journey and write up - thanx for taking the time!
I have started listening to a few bits, enjoyable time yesterday at a dealer hearing an amazing system. Amp / Roon / speakers. Not NAD or Hegel !
Will report more when i've processed it in my head.

The lack of proper lid would put me off the P10 in a shared room. I’d go for something like a Technics G (they do look awful though).

Not my problem though & the OP will get a great outcome I’m sure.

I have a 1200GR and agree its not pretty but accepted here. Sound really much better than it looks.
But honestly taste are different, apples or oranges.
Would love to replace my P7 with/or add a P8, - looks and lid issue are dealbreaker for now.

What items are you getting rid of? Seems like you’re adding more than subtracting. Is the cost of what you’re acquiring gonna be less than what you’re selling. I wonder.

What items are you getting rid of? Seems like you’re adding more than subtracting. Is the cost of what you’re acquiring gonna be less than what you’re selling. I wonder.
A little recap:

Current system value circa £100k total (new). New system would be something like NAD M33, cheaper TT, cheaper speaker(s)? So yes, a lot of room to maneuver downward IMO.

That's what I can remember. The OP's system description is buried somewhere in the thread and he can maybe confirm my description is in the ballpark of reality.

I have a 1200GR and agree its not pretty but accepted here. Sound really much better than it looks.
But honestly taste are different, apples or oranges.
Would love to replace my P7 with/or add a P8, - looks and lid issue are dealbreaker for now.
I love the build quality of the technics, solid aluminium feels like its here to last - the arm however could feel better, but I guess the G model is the answer

I had a Technics 1200G that i ran as a second TT alongisde my Thales. Lovely thing and def a contender with the Rega P 10.
You are right Paul, the TT was the star, the arm a bit less so.

advertisement

Back