advertisement

Thinking of selling it all, or massive downgrade at least......

Currently listening to the Cambridge Audio Edge integrated.
It’s very, very good by the way. imo.
My favourite all in one type amp though was the Goldnote IS-1000 Deluxe. Really impressive and rarely mentioned.
Pretty sure that does all you want in one box.

Interesting thread and from the OPs point of view perhaps downgrading is his best option.

However another option not often mentioned is just sticking.

I’m hoping I’m reaching this stage. I have thought about going active and reducing boxes but am wondering whether this desire is a first cousin of the upgrade path I’ve been “addicted” to for a number of years. That the cure is just stopping.

My thinking (although these pronouncements can be apocryphal) is my system sounds very good, yes it could be upgraded to sound better, yes it may be able to be downgraded and give as much enjoyment - or it could be left as it is and enjoyed full stop.

I’d really like to post here in 10 years time I have the same system in 2031 as I had in 2021.

.sjb

I agree with this position. As you say, sometimes, upgrading/downgrading/sidegrading can just be an excuse.

Many many years ago, when I found myself deep in audiophilia, I decided to stop obsessing over upgrading. Things were already sounding very good and so the setup remained largely the same for 15 years except for replacement of components that started to show problems (primarily CD players, cartridges). I even continued using a high end Basis turntable that I knew had issues but was 'good enough'. During this time I explored a lot of different genres of music new to me and in the process, acquired a lot of music.

However, in the last couple of years I made a lot of major changes in the system driven not by the pandemic but by the sudden serendipitous availability of great gear (used) at reasonable prices. Now I have a wonderful system that I had not consciously sought after and I've reached another 'steady state'; it will probably see me through the end of my listening days. And oh yes, I also finally broke down and got a new turntable because I got fed up with my sub-optimal Basis that gave me problems again even after being freshly repaired.

In short, I think it's all in the mindset. Often we create excuses in our mind for whatever changes we think we want to make.

Interesting thread and from the OPs point of view perhaps downgrading is his best option.

I’m hoping I’m reaching this stage. I have thought about going active and reducing boxes but am wondering whether this desire is a first cousin of the upgrade path I’ve been “addicted” to for a number of years. That the cure is just stopping.

My thinking (although these pronouncements can be apocryphal) is my system sounds very good, yes it could be upgraded to sound better, yes it may be able to be downgraded and give as much enjoyment - or it could be left as it is and enjoyed full stop.

I’d really like to post here in 10 years time I have the same system in 2031 as I had in 2021.

.sjb

I changed to simplify and thought I could probably create a system that was just at least as satisfying as my previous systems for less money.It was a kind of enjoyable experiment but glad to report I got what I wanted.My whole perspective about value in hifi has changed now and has put me on a new and exciting footage. Since changing it I’ve not been compelled make further changes.

.sjb
You have a top system which you seem to be perfectly happy with so I would just stick with what you have. I had the same system for 14 years, loved it, not as high end naim as yours but still upper end.

For some reason the buzzing transformers started to annoy me, not sure why. Sometimes it just takes a small thread to start an unravel.

An excuse for what? There is no excuse!
I’ve been very clear why I want to change and carry out a downgrade.
Quite simple as I’ve said. The need to allow our living room and the audio equipment to be more inclusive to all. Without costing so much as well.
Not an excuse - an actual real reason.

In short, I think it's all in the mindset. Often we create excuses in our mind for whatever changes we think we want to make.
Of course we do. "This car's getting old, it's going to be unreliable if I keep it much longer"
"These old clothes are faded and worn out"
"This amplifier doesn't have the grip on the speakers that I remember"
Etc .
It's normal to want new stuff. Just understand why. I suspect the OP just wants to buy something new. Nothing wrong with that. It's up to him. I only have one piece of advice - it's a lot easier to buy than to sell, and it can be painful to let a nice item go for a fraction of its worth.

Of course we do. "This car's getting old, it's going to be unreliable if I keep it much longer"
Etc .
It's normal to want new stuff. Just understand why. I suspect the OP just wants to buy something new. Nothing wrong with that. It's up to him. I only have one piece of advice - it's a lot easier to buy than to sell, and it can be painful to let a nice item go for a fraction of its worth.
I don't think it is fair to make assumptions about someone else's decisions. It once again sounds like rationalization, or trying to sway the OP because maybe you have the same nagging feelings?

My wife and I went through a similar process a few years ago and culled our belongings and saved hard to make a big change. It was a difficult process getting rid of belongings but it was really rewarding and freeing overall. Way lower stress, no stress over staying employed to keep our things. We have way more time to travel, spend together or with family.

So it's not all about making excuses to buy new things for everyone. And from what the OP has written I think he is being sincere.

Etc .

No!
This is definitely NOT ‘cos I want something new. The hassle of selling and buying I could do without.
It’s a process - I’ve described in detail already.

No!
This is definitely NOT ‘cos I want something new. The hassle of selling and buying I could do without.
It’s a process - I’ve described in detail already.
In which case you can keep it and make it more accessible. You could add a Bluetooth receiver for literally the price of a pint, plug it in a spare input and tuck it away in a corner. I have one the size of a matchbox. Does that work?

Selling stuff is indeed a pain. I have a set of wheels for an ex car, I fitted 2 new tyres, did maybe 1000 miles, they still look nearly new. I can hardly get the price of one tyre back.

I have a dCS Bartok that I feed Roon.
The problem is valve amps / family. Delicate and fiddly turntable / family. Large physical speakers / family.
I feel ive said all this already!

The problem is valve amps / family. Delicate and fiddly turntable / family. Large physical speakers / family.
I feel ive said all this already!

"Family" seems to be the underlying problem :D

Seems to me that you have identified what you want to change (maybe this thread helped).
I would suggest that you could change those things without any real downgrade - more of a sidegrade.

advertisement

Back