advertisement

Why should NHS have a pay rise?

if you do too many hours and get stressed about it , you may be referred to occupational health and then you will undergo further action which may involve needing union involvement . this can happen if you claim overtime payments because you are working too many hours

Work-induced stress is now widely recognised as a significant problem in the health service as well as in all other sectors of the economy. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) says that workers in health and social care have some of the highest rates of self-reported illness due to stress, anxiety and depression1 .

Much work-related stress is likely to be preventable and NHS organisations have legal obligations to prevent or reduce stress. This should ensure that organisations put a high priority on identifying, reducing and preventing workassociated stress.

The Trades Union Congress says that stress occurs where demands made of individuals do not match the resources available or meet the individual’s needs and motivation. Stress will be the result if the workload is too large for the potential number of workers and time available. Equally, a boring or repetitive task which does not use the potential skills and experience of some individuals will cause them stress.

Stress at work can be caused by a multitude of stressors. In Tackling work-related stress: a manager’s guide to improving and maintaining employee health and well-being, the HSE identified seven broad categories of risk factors for work-related stress. • Culture issues, which could include lack of positive response to stress or health concerns, lack of staff involvement, poor communication, lack of consultation and participation in decision making, and long work hours or lack of rest breaks.

The HSE has been working with the NHS to roll out management standards of good practice which employers can use to measure their performance when tackling a range of issues that can lead to stress. Trusts which undertake the appropriate policies and interventions to manage workplace stress can reduce the risk of legal intervention. However, trusts are also at risk of civil action from employees who have suffered from stress. Showing that they apply policies and procedures to identify and lessen work-related stress among employees is likely to be useful in defending such actions.

https://www.nhsemployers.org/~/media/Employers/Publications/Stress management.pdf

Lets give an example of a nurse who works in the community , on top of all their many responsibilities they have to add in a flu campaign or perhaps covid jabs . if they dont then relatives complain and stress occurs . Community nurses cover GP surgeries and if they build a massive housing estate then they have to carry on regardless providing cover to the many extra people . They wont give extra staff

Managers have very fixed budgets and get a bollocking if they dont meet targets . so one example is you are allowed 1 hour for palliative care , to support folks at home and assess them . 1 hour is not long when folks are dying [ big tabs will know all about this ] . now in order to prioritise care they may reduce this assessment and care time allowed to 30 minutes . you still have to provide the same care and support in less time

this is how stress occurs and if you claim overtime they will just say you were allocated enough toime to do the job . There is HUGE amount of bullying in the NHS and i personally know of 3 who have been severely bullied and left the profession. These are caring nurses trying to provide care
Please don’t think I was questioning your word. I was merely pointing to the RCN statement on nurses rights. I am well aware of the denial of rights, excessive workload issues, stress and bullying in public services. As a teacher I experienced the enormous pressures on workload and as a caseworker for the NASUWT have come across more than enough cases of bullying to indicate a widespread problem. At regional and national casework meetings the same issue is at the top or close to the top of the agenda suggesting that bullying in teaching is also huge.

It comes as no surprise then, to hear that Bullying is rife in the NHS as well. You have my total respect for the job you do and my total support for the difficties you face.

Last edited:
Let’s do a thought experiment... The NHS is short of nurses by a not insignificant percentage (about 40000 in round numbers) and wards have the minimum cover, or less, as a routine. It’s 1 minute to a shift change and you are in the cardiac ward and get terrible chest pain. Are you:

1. Going to scream the place down to get the nurses to start cpr, or

2. Scream through gritted teeth “go home nurse while I wait for your colleague who has been held up”?

Unless your answer is a firm 2, be grateful that nurses accept their duty of care and don’t criticise them for not militantly working to their contract.
That is a ridiculous post. The most likely scenario is that nurses are asked to work extra hours for no pay (if the many posts here suggest are true) on a regular basis because the service has a chronic staff shortage and every time they agree they are making their own situation worse.

Are any of you happy that nurses are put upon in that way?

That is a ridiculous post. The most likely scenario is that nurses are asked to work extra hours for no pay (if the many posts here suggest are true) on a regular basis because the service has a chronic staff shortage and every time they agree they are making their own situation worse.

Are any of you happy that nurses are put upon in that way?

Pleased to be of service! If you’d taken a moment to think, it was reply to those who appear to be blaming the nurses for not working to contract.

of course it is a ridiculous situation - as ridiculous as suggesting I was happy about it.

My wife went to her hospital last Saturday to do some paperwork on a day off. Sneaked into to her remote office (the original being decommissioned to make clear Covid pathways). By 2pm she texted me that she was on her way to Stevenage to see a patient with the ECMO team. Spent 3 hours there and returned to London. 7:30pm another text to say she was preparing to go to Plymouth. Arrived at 11PM. I have no idea what time she got back to London. This is a day off. And it's normal. Some people have given up their lives in the NHS and get screwed over. It's just assumed that their passion will put up with anything. 5 days off in the last year including weekends. 24/7 on call by phone.
She did a presentation in USA a few years ago. The hospital in Grand Rapids offered her 5 x her NHS salary to stay.

There are quite a few doctors and nurses at my wife's hospital that haven't seen their family in a year. Their commitment is amazing.

I have to say, I’m confused. I assumed at least some of the extra £350m a week that we were going to give to the NHS would be going on a decent pay rise for nurses and other staff. Where’s it going then, if not?

It was a misprint; they forgot the minus sign.

So many posts in this thread that make my blood boil. I can’t remember the last time my wife came home on time after a shift and she for sure doesn’t claim overtime or TOIL or anything else for that matter and neither is she going to wave a contract in anyone’s face. There are many different reasons why she constantly stays after her shift but I won’t bother to give specifics as this will only fuel those who think they know better to post extracts about overtime rules etc. Fundamentally her caring nature plays a massive part in this and she cares a lot more for the people she is looking after than she does about waving an overtime form in someone’s face. If I had £1 for every time my son has said to me “when’s mummy coming home” over the past couple of years (and beyond) then I’d be a rich man.

And back to the topic in hand as raised by the OP which is not about overtime..... should NHS have a payrise? In my opinion yes and I think offering 1% is more insulting than offering nothing at all however my wife doesn’t seem to be the slightest bit bothered in fact I know she would do it for free if she could.

The posts in this thread just show amazing dedication and commitment above and beyond what in anyway could be considered reasonable. By multiple people on an ongoing basis. A 1% pay offer in the face of this is just an insult.

The workforce is hard working, caring and committed.
The trade unions are passive.
The employers are managers with targets to hit.
The government wants the operation to run with a tough ROI target.
The society they’re part of doesn’t care much about any of this. It’s a society of chacun pour soi.

3029.jpg

advertisement

Back