advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
The EU have made a fist of this. I understand France, Germany, Italy and NL negotiated a similar deal with AZ to that of the UK. The EU said ‘on no you don’t, we’ll handle this’. The EU then do a deal, 2 months later, with no material difference to the deals those countries had already negotiated. Until we see the contracts, it’s speculation but I understand that because of the EU losing time, the AZ supply is on a best endeavours basis. This is the problem when you have a parasitic, bureaucratic mafia acting on your behalf.

Not sure on that. It is a private company. The way it is being presented by some people in the UK is it is your vaccine.
In my mind logically the expectation would be each country getting proportionately similar levels of the vaccine per head of population to bring down the risks in the most vulnerable groups across the continent.

If one wants to use it as a simple product and first come first served well then the EU would end up getting all the vaccines and the UK would be made wait. If a company gets a demand from the biggest customer to deliver the smaller guy gets sidelined. It might not be right but it is how the world works.

The fact AZ have run into production problems which is the cause of this issue appears to be ignored.

Time will tell the full true picture but given how mute Gove was this morning I think your government see the bigger picture. Or the other alternative is something was done to intervene in the distribution and now there is a bit of back pedaling. It is not beyond the Tories to engage in strange behaviours.

Of course, but if it's eco credentials you seek it is greener still to stop eating, and producing meat. My suspicion is that it suits a brexiter mindset to employ this argument and limit it to transport rather than to examine the bigger picture.

Incidentally, I wonder whether 'global britain' would rather continue extending its food supply chains to ever more distant sources rather than trade with our nearest trading partners?
Do you mean like the EU 'cars for cows' mercosur deal, which has gone off the boil for the moment but it will return.

Not sure on that. It is a private company. The way it is being presented by some people in the UK is it is your vaccine.
In my mind logically the expectation would be each country getting proportionately similar levels of the vaccine per head of population to bring down the risks in the most vulnerable groups across the continent.

If one wants to use it as a simple product and first come first served well then the EU would end up getting all the vaccines and the UK would be made wait. If a company gets a demand from the biggest customer to deliver the smaller guy gets sidelined. It might not be right but it is how the world works.

The fact AZ have run into production problems which is the cause of this issue appears to be ignored.

Time will tell the full true picture but given how mute Gove was this morning I think your government see the bigger picture. Or the other alternative is something was done to intervene in the distribution and now there is a bit of back pedaling. It is not beyond the Tories to engage in strange behaviours.

I expect bribery of AZ. The way the CEO is twisting and choosing his arguments is very suspicious. He is in a pretty uncomfortable situation now since he started to reveal contractual deals which were supposed to be non public.

The EU have made a fist of this. I understand France, Germany, Italy and NL negotiated a similar deal with AZ to that of the UK. The EU said ‘on no you don’t, we’ll handle this’. The EU then do a deal, 2 months later.
Big claim. Let's see some proof, or is it just made up by Brexit Central? If it were true, I'd expect it to be all over the news and Brexiteers crowing from the rooftops.

I expect bribery of AZ. The way the CEO is twisting and choosing his arguments is very suspicious. He is in a pretty uncomfortable situation now since he started to reveal contractual deals which were supposed to be non public.

That is what I am wondering. It just has all the hallmarks of it. Especially when Von Der leyen is calling for publication of the contract.
The mistake that is bringing it to the fore is trying to connect it to Brexit. It ties it also with the usual Hancock Tory rhetoric of world beating apps etc.

Morrisons say they sell 100% British fresh meat, if they can do that why not other supermarkets.
Have a think about why Britain can't produce all the meat for a population of 60M people. Feel free to research food supply in WW2 when the population was ~40M, there was rationing and domestic meat production was much more common.

Key word there may be "fresh". Where does the frozen stuff come from? I would think most of the lamb from NZ arrives frozen.
I think most does. Bear in mind also that in the red meat industry there is a process called "deep chill" where meat is not frozen but stored at a very cold chill. I'm not sure of the details but meat under these conditions will keep for 45 days or so. Have you ever stopped to wonder how beef can be "28 day aged" before it comes to the supermarket, and be sold to you not yet stinking?

Meat that has been frozen (defined as <-18C) and then thawed cannot then be sold as fresh. This is law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back