advertisement

We need to talk about Morrissey... again

Algorithm Morrissey is crap but it's still better than anything the Actual Morrissey has put out over the past 20 years.

This bit. You Are The Quarry is an excellent album and falls within your 20 year blanket.

As I said, people need to separate the music from the man.

I was half joking. Then again I listened to You Are The Quarry not so long ago and I thought it stank. Anybody want to buy some Morrissey elpees?

The Smiths were one of my favourite bands of the ‘80s, I have all the albums, a few 12” singles etc. They were great, just superbly crafted music with funny and rather clever lyrics. I just can’t explain WTF is wrong with Morrissey now! I get the impression Johnny Marr, who seems a really decent bloke, is horrified.

PS Here’s my first Smiths album, bought at time of release:

4724819204_f79e62d743_b.jpg

Wow his signature says it all.

This bit. You Are The Quarry is an excellent album and falls within your 20 year blanket.

As I said, people need to separate the music from the man.

I don't know - I increasingly feel the need to sell my Smiths LPs - all bought on week of release. I can't imagine every playing them again. Mind you, I've often felt all I need is my This Charming Man 7". I think it's fair to say, like Morrisey himself, they've not aged well.

Kevin

The Smith's defined indie in the 80's and their oeuvre is pretty much seminal. Frankly, hes been shit for a decade or more, all downhill from Every Day Is Like Sunday.

I don't know - I increasingly feel the need to sell my Smiths LPs - all bought on week of release. I can't imagine every playing them again. Mind you, I've often felt all I need is my This Charming Man 7". I think it's fair to say, like Morrisey himself, they've not aged well.

I made the cut-off at The Smiths. I initially had the first Morrissey album and 12” single but stuck them in the pfm shop where the album went years ago (single might still be there, I can’t remember). I’ve never considered his solo work to be even remotely at the same level, so I never bought any more than that. To be honest I bought the first album more due to Vini Reilly’s presence that Morrissey’s, though IIRC there was only one track where he was allowed to really shine so certainly not worth hanging onto. I’ve found the later stuff I’ve heard remarkably uninteresting.

As for The Smiths I have Louder Than Bombs on my iPhone and I’m always happy when a track comes up on shuffle. It really is stunningly well crafted pop music and I’m not prepared to let one members’ idiotically gammon ‘fat-Elvis’ phase spoil what was and remains a great band.

Much of The Smiths stuff still hits the spot. As for Morrissey, some of it has reached that standard, such as Now My Heart is Full or Have-a-Go Merchant, but they are well over 20 years old and artistically he has developed not one jot since. I thought that last single, something about the news, was atrocious in every way.

I made the cut-off at The Smiths. I initially had the first Morrissey album and 12” single but stuck them in the pfm shop where the album went years ago (single might still be there, I can’t remember). I’ve never considered his solo work to be even remotely at the same level, so I never bought any more than that. To be honest I bought the first album more due to Vini Reilly’s presence that Morrissey’s, though IIRC there was only one track where he was allowed to really shine so certainly not worth hanging onto. I’ve found the later stuff I’ve heard remarkably uninteresting.

As for The Smiths I have Louder Than Bombs on my iPhone and I’m always happy when a track comes up on shuffle. It really is stunningly well crafted pop music and I’m not prepared to let one members’ idiotically gammon ‘fat-Elvis’ phase spoil what was and remains a great band.

I'll go with the great majority of that.
Face facts, facts that I put forward with the release of "Meat is Murder" - Morrisey is a complete and utter TWAT. He is saved from oblivion by some truly fabulous early work. He should have stuck to what he is/was good/fabulous at.

I was always of the view that the "Burn down the discos and hang the dJ's'" was a post punk reaction to the b*ll*cks' that was still being played in The Top Rank Discos etc throughout the country. That music certainly said nothing to me about my life. Supporting a far right party that is founded by an "anti Islam activist" [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Britain_Movement ] is at the best unfortunate.

I really liked the Smiths and whilst I don't have a fully signed copy of the first LP :( I do have a copy of the first book he wrote. No, not that book!
I have a copy of the book he self published about the New York Dolls!

I think Morrissey looks more like an ageing James Cagney, only two feet taller but without the puckish charm (or the tap dancing skills).

Face facts, facts that I put forward with the release of "Meat is Murder" - Morrisey is a complete and utter TWAT.

What was wrong with Meat Is Murder? Plenty of good stuff there and beyond IMO.

PS As a veggie I really admired his stance on this one.

Nothing at all wrong with it, just the fact that he was signalling that he was going to go out on a limb, and then even further off the mainstream.

Nothing wrong with being off the mainstream either, it is just a question of how far....

A bit too much pearl clutching going on here. He was a great lyricist in a defining band of an era, later developed into a complete racist tool. People change & not always for the better

I'll agree with that one as well ^^, although I would tend to think that the change was to the public face/persona rather than the person in question.

I was always of the view that the "Burn down the discos and hang the dJ's'" was a post punk reaction to the b*ll*cks' that was still being played in The Top Rank Discos etc throughout the country. ...

The anecdote I heard was that, immediately after a news report announcing the Chernobyl disaster, DJ Steve Wright played Wham's "I'm Your Man" and Moz was offended by this.

b299f30f89e718e7bcda1bdb40309058.jpg

advertisement

Back