1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

We need to talk about Morrissey... again

Discussion in 'music' started by Tony L, May 14, 2019.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

He’s doing that fascist/racist/far-right thing again (Pitchfork). He is clearly not a charming man.

2. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

No he's a self absorbed prick.

Jimbobbyron likes this.
  3. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

I wonder how he levels the usual far right homophobia with his current single "Wedding bell blues" featuring the chorus of "Marry me Bill"!?

You couldn't make it up...

One of the collaborators on his new album has said they wouldn't have done it if they knew about his politics... they didn't look that hard then!

4. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

Oh look, a Morrissey controversy. I'm guessing that he has a new LP to promote, as he tends to spout bollocks in order to get free advertising. Tedious, tedious little man.

5. suzywong

suzywong pfm Member

6. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

A talentless nonentity, and always was. The talent in the Smiths, such that any was present in that overrated whingefest, was Marr.

narabdela and julifriend like this.
  7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I view The Smiths as perfectly balanced and was always rather irritated that all the credits went to Morrissey & Marr ignoring the rather excellent bass and drums of Rourke and Joyce! A superb band anyhow, its just a shame Morrissey turned into 100% high-fat English gammon.

8. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

We'll have to agree to disagree....
    Except about the gammon:)

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The Smiths were one of my favourite bands of the ‘80s, I have all the albums, a few 12” singles etc. They were great, just superbly crafted music with funny and rather clever lyrics. I just can’t explain WTF is wrong with Morrissey now! I get the impression Johnny Marr, who seems a really decent bloke, is horrified.

PS Here’s my first Smiths album, bought at time of release:

[​IMG]

10. myles

myles Intentionally left blank

Separate the man from the music.

Mr Cat likes this.
  11. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

I first got an inkling when he released Bengali In Platforms, so he's been heading that way for a long time. Allied to his longstanding obsession with gangster culture (Kray twins especially) I can see how he got where he is now.

Like you, I fail to see how he squares the right wing homophobic stance with his own sexuality.

12. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

The Smiths were great, this is a simple fact not mere opinion. Certainly the best British band of the 80s,significantly better than the overpraised Stone Roses. Morrisey is a total prick but he wrote some great songs back in the day.

irons1965 and Joolzdee like this.
  13. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

I never forgave him for morphing into a Stanley Baker lookalike.

Every 1960's film featuring Stanley Baker ruined.

The Twat.

14. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Stanley Baker, what a lot he crammed into 48 years.

15. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

This is doing nothing for the value of my early Smiths vinyl.

sean99, myles, Nytechy and 1 other person like this.
  16. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Morrissey has been a right-wing knobhead for a long time. Friends of mine have been fans of his for decades, which made me think they were weird in the head. Even they have stopped going to his gigs.

Jack

17. deebster

deebster pfm Member

Might do if he carries on and someone offs him

Weekender and Woodface like this.
  18. BLACKMASS

BLACKMASS pfm Member

I suppose it could be worse? He could be supporting Jeremy Corbyn…

(slowly backs out of room and grabs coat on the way out)

19. claire.fox

claire.fox punk pony princess in a pretty party dress

Just replace Morrissey with an algorithm based on a generative mash up of Smiths Lyrics and Amazon reviews of a Workout DVD.

20. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

Algorithm Morrissey is crap but it's still better than anything the Actual Morrissey has put out over the past 20 years.