advertisement

We need to talk about Morrissey... again

Much of The Smiths stuff still hits the spot. As for Morrissey, some of it has reached that standard, such as Now My Heart is Full or Have-a-Go Merchant, but they are well over 20 years old and artistically he has developed not one jot since. I thought that last single, something about the news, was atrocious in every way.

Vauxhall & I was a great album.

Morrissey has proved to a massive disappointment particularly as a human being for as far as I can remember.

Separate the man from the music.

this... seems too many people get hung up on the artists and forget the music, and as a result dislike the music because of this...bono and chris martin are classic examples, I love their early stuff.. :)

this... seems too many people get hung up on the artists and forget the music, and as a result dislike the music because of this...bono and chris martin are classic examples, I love their early stuff.. :)
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe either of those two hold right wing views??

Are they not allowed to hold views that you don't approve of ?
Never suggested anything of the case.

There's a world of difference between Morrissey's ugly, separatist rants and anything that comes out of the other two's mouths....Everyone should be made accountable for what is said though.

I view The Smiths as perfectly balanced and was always rather irritated that all the credits went to Morrissey & Marr ignoring the rather excellent bass and drums of Rourke and Joyce! A superb band anyhow, its just a shame Morrissey turned into 100% high-fat English gammon.
Can't help thinking that without Johnny Marr's geetar prowess, Morrisey would still be best known for writing whiney letters to the NME. The Other Two would probably have become a rhythm section for hire.

Can't help thinking that without Johnny Marr's geetar prowess, Morrisey would still be best known for writing whiney letters to the NME. The Other Two would probably have become a rhythm section for hire.
None of the band has gone on to greater things so I don't think this is fair. They were just better than the sum of their parts.

He must have really, really strong views on imported meat products I beat a Spanish Chorizo or a Polish sausage would have him frothing at the mouth.

I have recently sold all my Morrissey and Smiths album out of disgust , the Morrissey albums seem to fetch a lot for some reason.

I still love the lyrics and music, very much. I Mean i grew up with his music and he was there when My first true love left me. He is provoking and he crosses the line. I think he needs to put on some charm again. But selling My Records, never.

The Smiths were great, this is a simple fact not mere opinion.

I find statements like this very depressing, and evidence of a fundamental misunderstanding of how words work. 2+2 = 4 is a fact (or, if you want get Fregean, and epistemic about it, an enigma). Your statement simply is an opinion.

I agree that, in context the Smiths were great. That is not inconsistent with the opinion that Morrissey's lyrics sometimes let down Marr's arrangements very badly - "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" being the most egregious example. Nonetheless, that is my opinion. It is not a "fact".

. I think he needs to put on some charm agai

A bit of charm won't cut it. He's turned into a nasty right wing twat. Nothing less than a complete and honest volte-face allied to a full apology for all his right-wing shit will convince me he's any better than Yaxley-Lennon.

I adored The Smiths. Morrissey is utterly lost to me.

advertisement

Back