advertisement

We need to talk about Morrissey... again

I find statements like this very depressing, and evidence of a fundamental misunderstanding of how words work. 2+2 = 4 is a fact (or, if you want get Fregean, and epistemic about it, an enigma). Your statement simply is an opinion.

I agree that, in context the Smiths were great. That is not inconsistent with the opinion that Morrissey's lyrics sometimes let down Marr's arrangements very badly - "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" being the most egregious example. Nonetheless, that is my opinion. It is not a "fact".
Not really it is a well known technique of using exaggeration to make a point. David Hepworth uses it quite effectively & he has sold quite a few books. The weight of critical acclaim & the fact that the Smiths shifted quite a few records makes my assertion more likely than not. I understand how words work, your words were patronising;)

Could Hilter have got away with just saying 'sorry' at the end of the war ?

Morrissey has probably overstepped the line.

I have had many, many debates about wether a musicians actions like Michael Jackson and more recently Ryan Adams should affect my enjoyment of their music and it has been about a fifty, fifty spilt in opinion for the record if Michael Jackson is on the radio I'll turn it off but just because Morrisey is a complete c*** and has some extremely nasty beliefs that won't stop me listening to The Smiths. The fact that lots of it is weak and hasn't stood up might but The Queen is Dead is and always will be a great album that I'll enjoy.
As far as his solo work is concerned I do not own or listen to any of it regardless of his recent behaviour because the few snippets I have heard have left me cold.

For some reason I'm reminded of the outrage the Pistols once caused in the seventies.

I know what you mean, especially folk like Siousxie, Sid Vicious etc walking around with swastikas etc as a troll symbol to rile their parents generation, but this is somewhat different as Morrissey does really seem to be supporting Britain First etc. It is far closer to Eric Clapton’s drunken racist tirade in favour of Enoch Powell at Earls Court in 1976, which actually created such waves of revulsion it effectively created the Rock Against Racism movement (Wikipedia). I’d love to think Morrissey being ‘too racist for Merseyrail’ could kick something even half as good in reaction!

It is strange that an album of cover versions of 60s and 70s songs is causing such outrage.

What a pathetic move by Spillers, may'be they should check the personal beliefs of any artist they stock from now on, I'm sure that'll result in a few more artists being dropped. I remember that single 'Suedehead' by Morrisey, he used to love British youth culture, I'm not sure his recent foray into politics is much to be horrified about, I mean he's hardly comparable to old school racist thug bands like Skrewdriver, some people really have lost their sense of perspective nowadays.

Indeed, the Spillers thing is quite ridiculous. They assume their customers are too stupid to make their own minds up.

What a pathetic move by Spillers, may'be they should check the personal beliefs of any artist they stock from now on, I'm sure that'll result in a few more artists being dropped. I remember that single 'Suedehead' by Morrisey, he used to love British youth culture, I'm not sure his recent foray into politics is much to be horrified about, I mean he's hardly comparable to old school racist thug bands like Skrewdriver, some people really have lost their sense of perspective nowadays.

Well there are similarities in that Morrissey is endorsing a racist thug like 'Tommy Robinson', but from your post above it look like you're OK with that. I presume you must sympathise in some way.

It seems to me that Mozza is entitled to hold any opinion he wants even if other people find it offensive.

I’m also uncomfortable with the stance taken by spillers acting as self appointed censors.

Perhaps we need a rational debate with the far right to shine a light on their activities. There will always be supporters of repression in any form.

Just as a discussion point. If your football team had a player or two with “radical views”, would you stop supporting them ?

Well there are similarities in that Morrissey is endorsing a racist thug like 'Tommy Robinson', but from your post above it look like you're OK with that. I presume you must sympathise in some way.
You mean my views don't align 100% with the PFM fainting ladies club? Witch hunt!!

It seems to me that Mozza is entitled to hold any opinion he wants even if other people find it offensive.
Indeed, but he must be prepared to take the consequences of his publicly expressed viewpoints.

I’m also uncomfortable with the stance taken by spillers acting as self appointed censors.
Clearly they don't wish to support an openly prejudiced and offensive bellend. I say good on them. See above.

Perhaps we need a rational debate with the far right to shine a light on their activities. There will always be supporters of repression in any form.
Impossible. There's nothing rational about the far right's views: they're as entrenched as any radical group's. Reason is beyond them. Their activities are antisocial and must simply be halted.

Just as a discussion point. If your football team had a player or two with “radical views”, would you stop supporting them ?
Yes.

advertisement

Back