advertisement

Artists with long run (back to back) of high quality albums

George Clinton Parliament/Funkadelic:

Funkadelic - First Album (1970) to Uncle Jam Wants You (1979). 11 fantastic albums in a row, although I'm giving tales of Kidd Funkadelic the benefit of the doubt there, as I happen to love the mad 15 minute synth instrumental title track.

Parliament - Osmium (1969) to Motor Booty Affair (1978) 7 albums.

I think that gives George Clinton 18 great albums in a row over 10 years.

Neil Ardley - a criminally underrated jazz musician and musical director:
  • 1968: Le Déjeuner sur l'Herbe (with the New Jazz Orchestra)
  • 1970: Greek Variations (with Ian Carr & Don Rendell)
  • 1971: A Symphony of Amaranths
  • 1973: Mike Taylor Remembered (with Jon Hiseman, Barbara Thompson, Ian Carr, Henry Lowther, Dave Gelly, and Norma Winstone)
  • 1976: Kaleidoscope of Rainbows (with Ian Carr and Nucleus)
I love them all, but the final one on the list is magnificent.

Sonic Youth

1987 - Sister
1988 - Daydream Nation
1990 - Goo
1992 - Dirty

Personally I think everything up to and including Sonic Nurse in 2004 is amazing. Plus the records they made before Sister. But those seem to be the four people really love.

Fleetwood Mac:
Fleetwood Mac
Rumours
Tusk
Fleetwood Mac Live
Mirage
Tango in the Night

Yes but the previous two were pretty mediocre and this is a thread about back to back quality
Nope, Untitled comes right after Ballad of Easy rider. Byrdmaniax and Farther Along came later, during their 'Shit in the studio but stupendous Live' period. :)

I can only remember two tracks from DJRD, the title track and ‘Otis and Marlena’ which both sound like Hejira tracks. Apart from that I know there’s something called ‘Paprika Plains’ which if memory serves is about 5 1/2 hours long, but the rest I don’t recall at all. Having said that, I doubt if Joni does either. She has admitted this was her serious -er- indulgence period. Not to mention her turning-up-at-parties-in-blackface period.

Much as I love Hejira.. it always becomes exceptionally pleasant background listening for me. Whereas 'Clouds', 'Song For A Seagull', 'Blue', 'Canyon' etc., are all mesmerising.

Even though most hate them..... Rush
A Farewell to kings
Hemispheres
Permanent waves
Moving pictures
Exit stage left
Signals
Grace under pressure
Power windows
Hold your fire
A show of hands
Presto
Not to big on Roll the bones but like everything they did after it.

advertisement

Back