advertisement

Artists with long run (back to back) of high quality albums

aedagnino

pfm Member
Hope the title is self explanatory... which artists have had long runs of very good to amazing albums? For the sake of argument, it's got to be at least 4 back to back records. You can only post 1 band/artist. Try not be too obvious (Bowie, Beatles, Stevie Wonder, etc...)

Julian Cope:

Droolian (1990)
Peggy Suicide (1991)
Jehovakill (1992)
Autogeddon (1994)
20 Mothers (1995)
Interpreter (1996)

Joni Mitchell - pretty much everything she did. The first album she produced that didn't gel with me was Don Juan's Reckless Daughter but that's just me.

No it isn’t! That’s where I got off Joni’s train and never got back on. A rapid fall from grace considering Hejira is one of my absolute favourite albums.

No it isn’t! That’s where I got off Joni’s train and never got back on. A rapid fall from grace considering Hejira is one of my absolute favourite albums.

Its all a matter of taste but Joni Mitchell released about 7 or 8 albums before Don Juan. I would add that her Geffen years albums are also very good and that is a run of four.

Don Juan is a good Joni album IMHO. I’d give here a perfect run up to and including Mingus, which is admittedly quirky, but it kind of works as such. The dip for me is when she started trying rock stuff on Geffen, I didn’t get on with that, though she recovered to some degree later. Not a single bad album in this 1968-79 box IMHO.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Tom Waits
  • Closing Time (1973)
  • The Heart of Saturday Night (1974)
  • Nighthawks at the Diner (1975)
  • Small Change (1976)
  • Foreign Affairs (1977)
  • Blue Valentine (1978)
  • Heartattack and Vine (1980)
  • Swordfishtrombones ((1983)
  • Rain Dogs (1985)
  • Franks Wild Years (1987)

Don Juan is a good Joni album IMHO. I’d give here a perfect run up to and including Mingus, which is admittedly quirky, but it kind of works as such. The dip for me is when she started trying rock stuff on Geffen, I didn’t get on with that, though she recovered to some degree later. Not a single bad album in this 1968-79 box IMHO.

I suppose my problem was I got into Joni Mitchell around 1970 and by Hissing of Summer Lawns I was buying everything as it came out. I loved Hejira on first listen and its still probably my favourite album of hers but somehow hit a brickwall with Don Juan; I need to revisit it. I came back to Joni via Wild Thing Run Fast, a few years after it was released and I loved it. The Geffen period is more 'poppy' but it definitely has its moments.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I can only remember two tracks from DJRD, the title track and ‘Otis and Marlena’ which both sound like Hejira tracks. Apart from that I know there’s something called ‘Paprika Plains’ which if memory serves is about 5 1/2 hours long, but the rest I don’t recall at all. Having said that, I doubt if Joni does either. She has admitted this was her serious -er- indulgence period. Not to mention her turning-up-at-parties-in-blackface period.

I can only remember two tracks from DJRD, the title track and ‘Otis and Marlena’ which both sound like Hejira tracks. Apart from that I know there’s something called ‘Paprika Plains’ which if memory serves is about 5 1/2 hours long, but the rest I don’t recall at all. Having said that, I doubt if Joni does either. She has admitted this was her serious -er- indulgence period. Not to mention her turning-up-at-parties-in-blackface period.

Does this make it Joni's Tusk?

Back on topic:

The first five Steve Miller albums. A brilliant run somewhat spoilt by his sixth album and then one final brilliant offering with Recall the Beginning before he turned into the Joker.

Oi! You imply that I have nudged the thread off-topic (true) but then you break the OP’s rules by posting a second artist!

Genesis:-

Foxtrot
Selling England By The Pound
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
A Trick Of The Tail

Mike Westbrook

Celebration 1967
Release 1968
Marching Song 1969
Love Songs 1970
Metropolis 1971

Morton Feldman - every work that has been appropriately performed and recorded from the beginning of his career to the very last.

John Coltrane - all his Atlantic and Impulse recordings, including posthumous stuff.

Sun Ra - all of the 1960s Choreographers Workshop recordings, no duds.

Thelonious Monk - The Complete Riverside Recordings.

Ornette Coleman - Complete Atlantic Recordings.

advertisement

Back