1971 - Zeit
1972 - Atem
1973 - Phaedra
1974 - Rubycon
1975 - Ricochet
1976 - Stratosfear
1977 - Sorcerer
1977 - Encore

They went off the boil for two (Cyclone & Force Majeure) but then came back with Thief, Tangram and Exit.

For me I'd expand that list by adding Trespass and Nursery Cryme and then Wind & Wuthering.
Strangely enough that's exactly how my original post read.
I then decided to edit it down to what I consider their creative peak years but the other 3 albums are all excellent.

LOL...I hope your sofa (behind which you are cowering..) is both high and bullet proof....!

4 seems to be a magic number...

Zep, Sabbath, Motorhead, Metallica, Ramones, Can, Talking Heads

As a recent convert to some prog music, may I suggest any of the albums by porcupine tree.
There’s probably a run of 4 decent REM albums & Radiohead likewise.
I’ll also throw XTC into the mix.

The first four Dr. Feelgood albums. Wilko was a huge loss to the band and I don’t think they recovered from his sacking.

Mick

Hawkwind, 12 albums from Space Ritual 1973 to PXR5 1979

I’d argue their strongest output by far was the Liberty/UA stuff, i.e. their self-titled debut through to Warrior At athe Edge Of Time. They fell right off a cliff for me after that. My favourites are the first four, Hawkwind through to Space Ritual, but I don’t dislike the last two UA titles.

Joni Mitchell - pretty much everything she did. The first album she produced that didn't gel with me was Don Juan's Reckless Daughter but that's just me.

I bought it when it came out and liked it. These days I'd say I stopped really liking her releases after Mingus. Once again Mingus was bought when it was released but I didn't really like it. I had a listen a while ago and enjoyed it.

What I didn't like, and still don't, are the synthy pop albums she released on Geffen. I bought them when they were released but interest in them faded quickly. If I had to name by favourite albums they would be Blue, Hissing of Summer Lawns and Hejira, the order of which varies depending on mood.

The obvious artist for me to include in this thread is Dylan. From the early 60s to the late 70s the only albums I didn't like were Self Portrait and the album of tracks not good enough for Self Portrait that CBS petulantly released when he switched labels. The Bootleg release of Self Portrait tracks made be reassess that view a little.

advertisement

Back