advertisement

Artists with long run (back to back) of high quality albums

RUSH up to and including moving pictures, there is a reason for their change of style but that's another sad and hart wrenching story ,,

Even though most hate them..... Rush
A Farewell to kings
Hemispheres
Permanent waves
Moving pictures
Exit stage left
Signals
Grace under pressure
Power windows
Hold your fire
A show of hands
Presto
Not to big on Roll the bones but like everything they did after it.

Everything is perfection!!!

Van Halen - DLR era (with the exception of Diver Down EP/Covers album as it`s not a real studio record). Hit and miss with Sammy but still four solid lp`s in a row with him too.

Even though most hate them..... Rush
A Farewell to kings
Hemispheres
Permanent waves
Moving pictures
Exit stage left
Signals
Grace under pressure
Power windows
Hold your fire
A show of hands
Presto
Not to big on Roll the bones but like everything they did after it.

Not 2112 ? (fabulous album with a similar feel to Farewell to Kings). I must admit I lost interest in Rush after Moving Pictures. too much synthesizer.

Not 2112 ? (fabulous album with a similar feel to Farewell to Kings). I must admit I lost interest in Rush after Moving Pictures. too much synthesizer.
I love the first side of 2112 but the second side not so much, fairy straight ahead rock.
I think they nailed it with A farewell to kings and they got better with every album. They always used to change their direction with each album. Big fan

XTC

1979 - Drums and Wires
1980 - Black Sea
1982 - English Settlement
1983 - Mummer
1984 - The Big Express
1986 - Skylarking
1989 - Oranges and Lemons
1992 - Nonsuch
1999 - Apple Venus
2000 - Wasp Star

plus the two as Dukes of Stratosphear

1985 - 25 O'clock
1987 - Psonic Psunspot

I try to pretend that "White Music" and "Go 2" don't exist. This is a thread about runs of high quality albums, it is my view that those two don't qualify.

Ah right. White Music is my favourite XTC album.

Ah right. White Music is my favourite XTC album.

I wouldn’t go that far - I would nominate Skylarking or Apple Venus - but I agree this is a really good album, with at least four classic tracks in Radios In Motion, This Is Pop, Statue Of Liberty and Neon Shuffle. I remember being so disappointed when Drums And Wires came out, because the band’s sound seemed so much thinner after they booted Barry Andrews out. It’s grown a bit on me since then, but I still think the first two albums are a bit underrated. I think I’m only XTC fan who prefers Go2 to Drums And Wires.

I wouldn’t go that far - I would nominate Skylarking or Apple Venus - but I agree this is a really good album, with at least four classic tracks in Radios In Motion, This Is Pop, Statue Of Liberty and Neon Shuffle. I remember being so disappointed when Drums And Wires came out, because the band’s sound seemed so much thinner after they booted Barry Andrews out. It’s grown a bit on me since then, but I still think the first two albums are a bit underrated. I think I’m only XTC fan who prefers Go2 to Drums And Wires.

I listened to D&W just a few nights ago, and it hadn't aged as well as I thought. The material is strong enough, most of the time, and they play really well, but it's just so unrelentingly "peppy". The adrenaline rush never lets up. That doesn't sit as well with me now as it did in 1979. Then I did "Black Sea" and thought it hadn't aged so well either, in particular "Paper and Iron" and "Sgt Rock" are real clunkers, only saved by excellent arrangements and brilliant bridges. Andy can always be counted on for a quality bridge.

My problem with the first two albums isn't Andrews, I rather like what he did. I just think that the songs were weak, and Andy's yelping was really out of control then. I'd like to have heard what they'd sound like with Andrews and a stronger batch of songs, but I wouldn't want to give up the guitar interplay between Partridge and Gregory.

I listened to D&W just a few nights ago, and it hadn't aged as well as I thought. The material is strong enough, most of the time, and they play really well, but it's just so unrelentingly "peppy". The adrenaline rush never lets up. That doesn't sit as well with me now as it did in 1979. Then I did "Black Sea" and thought it hadn't aged so well either, in particular "Paper and Iron" and "Sgt Rock" are real clunkers, only saved by excellent arrangements and brilliant bridges. Andy can always be counted on for a quality bridge.

My problem with the first two albums isn't Andrews, I rather like what he did. I just think that the songs were weak, and Andy's yelping was really out of control then. I'd like to have heard what they'd sound like with Andrews and a stronger batch of songs, but I wouldn't want to give up the guitar interplay between Partridge and Gregory.

Fair points. An XTC with both Andrews and Gregory would have been wonderful, though Andy’s ego would never have accepted it, I suppose.

advertisement

Back