• Complete system is Naim

Votes: 36 9.9%
  • Part of your system is Naim

Votes: 149 41.0%
  • Nothing made by Naim in your system

Votes: 179 49.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i have never heard a Naim product, but have always been interested. If I had unlimited funds, I'd like to put together a classic "flat-earth" system just for fun

I wish I had kept mine to fondle or play occasionally. Think a Nait 2 would be a good amp with GRFs or would the channel imbalance problem be an issue with high-efficiency speakers?

The volume knob of the Nait is a bit cheap and tatty and there isn't really room in there for anything better, but it has a balance control so it shouldn't be an issue. The only negative is I remember the volume control was fairly hot on digital, so you may hit that off/blowing the windows out thing, but that could be fixed with an attenuated interconnect. Lovely little amp, but I'd be amazed if it got anywhere close to your Stingray. Back when I had my first pair of Tannoys and the Prima Luna tube amp I had a Naim 42.5/110 pass through that I was selling for someone, the PL just murdered it. High efficiency and Naim just doesn't work IMO.

Tony,

I'm plenty happy with the Stingray, but the Nait 2 and Royd Sorcerers are the only bits of kit I've had over the years I wish I had never sold.

Joe

All Olive, though not using CD player much as streaming from Chord Dac.
Julian V was Naim, Steve J was Apple.

I'm plenty happy with the Stingray, but the Nait 2 and Royd Sorcerers are the only bits of kit I've had over the years I wish I had never sold.

I've rebought most of the things I miss from my past, but either a Nait 2 or Onix OA21 are missing. I think I'd actually prefer an OA21 as I had one for longer, but they seem hard to find in mint condition. Either would be a really nice amp to have knocking about for a change.

Tony,

Are clean Nait 2s expensive in the UK? They're rare here and the ones I've seen usually sell for $1,000 Cdn or more -- and those are the ones in need of a service.

Joe

Absurdly expensive for what was a budget amp, nice clean boxed examples can make £650! I've actually owned loads of them as back in 2000 or so I wanted one so stuck an ad in Loot, got offered loads, so bought them in at £150 and punted them out on eBay at typically £250-350, wherever the bidding stopped. Must have had six or seven of the things! I did the same thing with LP12s. I just wish I'd kept a nice tidy Nait 2, but no way would I pay £600+ for one!

2x5 metres of NACA4. Had it for years, and see no reason to change, apart from the fact that it's bloody curtain track!

Had Dac v1/Nap100,then upgraded to 200/202 keeping the DAC v1.

Found I bitterly begrudged how much I had spent on the 200/202, accordingly sold the lot and bought an early Sony Es amp and an Audioquest dragonfly.

Tony,

Thanks. I'll stick with my Stingray, because it's awesome and shaped like a, ummmm, stingray.

Joe

Tony,

Are clean Nait 2s expensive in the UK? They're rare here and the ones I've seen usually sell for $1,000 Cdn or more -- and those are the ones in need of a service.

Joe

I paid £180 for mine in 2002 with a marantz cd player, arch speakers and a planar 2!

linnfo,

Great price, but you'd be very lucky to get a Nait 2 at that price today.

Joe

linnfo,

Great price, but you'd be very lucky to get a Nait 2 at that price today.

Joe

Oh I know. They weren't fetching nearly the price they are today back then. It was on a notice board at work, my colleague had brought a full 5.1 system and being ordered to sell the "old HIFI" by his wife. I actually asked him if he was sure about his price to which he replied, " yes, its all pretty old kit now". I gave the arcam speakers away and paired it with the ELAs I already had, that happened to be a superb combo.

Had my amps for years (20 ish). Never upgraded them. And I work for a dealer. My ARO is older. It works. I like it so I keep it.

None for me. Heard a Naim system many years ago. Wasn't impressed with the sound and even less impressed with the price. But each to their own and I think Naim do customer retention brilliantly.

advertisement

Back