• Complete system is Naim

Votes: 36 9.9%
  • Part of your system is Naim

Votes: 149 41.0%
  • Nothing made by Naim in your system

Votes: 179 49.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Linn are enlightened enough to have a Third Party Modifications subsection to the Sondek section.

Hi guys, it’s been a while since I’ve posted but I’m back...

I have never owned a new piece of kit and the current black case - green logo range doesn’t excite me at all. I always liked the look of the Olive range when it was first introduced and about three years ago a very nice, excellent condition 72 /140 combo (with both MM & MC Cards fitted) came up for sale at a price that I was comfortable with. I have since added a HiCap and a 250 as well as a cosmetically challenged 12/160 (bolt together case) which was almost given away. So now I am a naim owner.

I might add that I’m also a QUAD, ARCAM and Yamaha owner as well, I suppose I am just a crazy collector.

LPSPinner.

After 30 years I got to 52/135/SL2. Found that it was taking my head off at high volumes/ peaks. Probably needed a recap. Not wanting to pay the small fortune required to do so, I thought I'd try Teddy's amps. I like them so much I've moved all but the SL2s (which I love) on. Mind you I have just bought a Naim piece (Snaxo 242), but only because Teddy doesn't make an active crossover.

Did the Linn LP12 & Naim upgrade thing from 62/90 to 252/300.always wanted better and was never quite happy. Had several pairs of Naim speakers up to SL2. Sold it all and now have:

Well Tempered Versalex with Dyna 17D3 & Dyna phono stage
52 & 52PS
2 x 135s
Shahinian Obs Mk1
WHA speaker cable and interconnects

It's easy to get hooked in to the upgrade route. Happy now and no plans to change. The 52 is a real gem of a pre.

Pete

h.g.

On that forum you must never take a critical stance or use any other vendors psu and so forth.
That's not fair, is it? I guess you've not visited the Naim forum for a while, but many of us who post there have been very critical of Naim kit, and lengthy discussions have ensued wtih only personal insults being moderated. Go look at the posts relating to the new Uniti range. Regarding power supplies by other manufacturers, Naim rightly regard this as having the potential to adversely affect or even damage their product so fair dos. Compared with several other forums I could mention, Naim are remarkably tolerant of discussions around competitor's gear.

My primary source is a CDS3/XPS (I use amplifier and speakers from other manufacturers).
I also own a DAC V1 that a deceased mate left to me and I use it to good effect in a separate headphone system.

I used to have two Naim systems. Nac 252/SC in the living room with Nap 200. Nac 62 + Nap 140 ---> Nait 2 ---> Nac 32.5 / Nac 12 + Nap 160 ( as well as a lot of other brands) in the study. But the sale of my Nac 252/SC + 2 x Nap 200 prompted a rethink and the main system slowly moved into my study. I now have an all-in one AVM in place in the living room with a set of Amphion Argon 3L speakers. In my study a motley crew of EAR, Audio Note, Ayre, Sugden (FirstWatt F4 still in the works) and 47 labs 4722 Lens speakers reign supreme.
I would buy another Nap 200 in a heartbeat if I were to abandon class A. The Nac 252 sounded very well but - subjectively - not "better" than the EAR 868 I have now.

h.g.

On that forum you must never take a critical stance or use any other vendors psu and so forth.

It might cramp ones style. Therefore PFM is the answer to the dastardly Naim dissidents (as they are perceived ) that have been cramped in this way.

If you thought the Naim forum is bad, check out the Harbeth User Group.

I have tried alternatives, but everything seems to bore me... (or to be ridiculously expensive, or frequently both). Now my system is all Naim again safe I don't have NAC A5 but TelluriumQ Black.

CDX2
NAC282
HiLine
NAP200DR
TQblack
n-Sats

I guess you've not visited the Naim forum for a while, but many of us who post there have been very critical of Naim kit, and lengthy discussions have ensued wtih only personal insults being moderated.
As a regular do you feel the moderators read every post and take appropriate action such as deleting abusive posts and those about third party modifications or are you aware of bunches of posts that slip through unmoderated?

The Forum Rules are listed in the FAQ and make it clear that the forum is not a general one but one to discuss Naim hardware within particular boundaries. It lists a range of Naim related topics as inappropriate. Are the rules reasonable given it is a forum provided by Naim? Do you feel the moderators apply the rules listed fairly or, perhaps, do they apply more strongly to some and not others or, maybe, there is a bunch of unwritten rules that get applied as well or instead?

If you thought the Naim forum is bad, check out the Harbeth User Group.

Oh yes. The Harbeth user forum. It is surely a tight-knit community where members are encouraged to accept established doctrines to be part of the clan. One will have to adhere not only to the rules but the values of the warm family or he will be cast as an outsider with contempt. I am not sure if they are more liberal with their approach now though. They used to practice extreme moderation in 2011 or 2012 whereby each and every post made by members is screened and evaluated prior to release on the forum. In other words, the post you have made will not appear on the forum unless the moderator has approved that post.

The Naim forum is much more tolerant, and liberal. Folks are still free to post competitor's gear sounding better than Naim without being penalised. Try that on the Harbeth forum and see what will happen..

Parted ways with Naim this year, after 26 years. No hard feelings, just time to try something different.

I've just looked in again and it seems the poll is now suggesting that about 52 percent of forum members own systems made up of at least some Naim Audio products.

Add in all the ex-Naim owners here (and all those who aspire to Naim ownership who come here for info) and I think you could just about make a case for PFM being more 'Naim-centric' (or Naim-focused if you prefer) than Naim's own forum!

(In terms of the proportion of membership owning/having an interest in/having experience of Naim gear.)

Asked to guess (before running a poll) i'd have said about 25 percent and thought that would be high!

Had NAC62/NAP110. Sounded exciting at first, then fatiguing. Now no Naim components. Would probably entertain a Unitiqute as a nice single box setup, but none of the medium or stratospheric stuff.

As a regular do you feel the moderators read every post and take appropriate action such as deleting abusive posts and those about third party modifications or are you aware of bunches of posts that slip through unmoderated?

The Forum Rules are listed in the FAQ and make it clear that the forum is not a general one but one to discuss Naim hardware within particular boundaries. It lists a range of Naim related topics as inappropriate. Are the rules reasonable given it is a forum provided by Naim? Do you feel the moderators apply the rules listed fairly or, perhaps, do they apply more strongly to some and not others or, maybe, there is a bunch of unwritten rules that get applied as well or instead?
I can't comment on others' experiences with moderation on the Naim forum, but personally I've never had any of my posts pulled, and I've been very critical, hopefully in a measured way, of various bits of Naim kit in the past. Given it is a manufacturer's forum, their rules are quite reasonable and moderation intelligently applied.

I can't comment on others' experiences with moderation on the Naim forum, but personally I've never had any of my posts pulled, and I've been very critical, hopefully in a measured way, of various bits of Naim kit in the past. Given it is a manufacturer's forum, their rules are quite reasonable and moderation intelligently applied.

Do they let people discuss PFM moderation on the Naim forum?

I've just looked in again and it seems the poll is now suggesting that about 52 percent of forum members own systems made up of at least some Naim Audio products.

Poll voters is not the same thing as all forum members... (nearly 23,000 registered).

Poll voters is not the same thing as all forum members...

It's why I used the word 'suggesting'.

It'll be much clearer after the 5 days i've set the poll to run.

The majority of those 23,000 registered members are probably dormant if this forum is typical.

advertisement

Back