Votes: 36 9.9%
  • Part of your system is Naim

Votes: 149 41.0%
  • Nothing made by Naim in your system

Votes: 179 49.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Been a Naim user since the early 80s.
Naim stuff I own now are a mix of CB and olive Armageddon, Aro, Prefix, CD2, Hicaps, NAC 102, NAP 250 X 2, IXO, a pair of SBL and a pair of IBLs.
I also have a Mu-So.

Always loved it.
No axe to grind or chip on my shoulder like some of the haters on here.

I voted no as I have nothing left now, but I am certainly an Naim ex-user.
Same here. I owned an all Naim entry level system (Nait 5i-2/CD5i-2/NAT05) for two years from March 2009 - March 2011. I even had Naim nSATs and NACA5 cables for a large portion of that two years.

Luckily I got over it before being convinced by my dealer to 'upgrade' my way out of increasing unhappiness with the system.

He - naturally - wanted me to upgrade to the 'xs' components and then buy PSU upgrades etc. etc...

He was even keen to offer me about £90 - £100 per 'box' trade-in towards the upgrades!!

(I got £450, £550 and £580 for the tuner, CDP and amp respectively on ebay.)

As nice as these Naim dealers are, they are still sharks.

Heard a fair bit of Naim gear over the years, but only ever owned a phono stage, thirty or more years ago. It never excited me that much, and I was put off by salesmen pushing the 'upgrade your power supply every year' thing to me.
To each their own though.

Mick

I went through a period of owning Naim equipment. Sold a few boxes and bought an Esoteric Audio Research (EAR) V20 integrated valve amp. It was a big improvement in the reproduction of music in terms of space and texture.

I am using a Quad 34/405-2 and Martin Logan ESLs at the moment. They have plenty of PRAT for me. It has a disc input and comes with two modules, one for MM and the other MC.

A mate of mine has got a Naim 282/250 and other boxes combo. I wouldn't swap my upgraded Quad system for it, despite the fact that the Naim costs something like six times as much.

I wouldn't mind getting hold of a Nait 2 or 3, with a phono board, in the future. I used to have a Nait 3. They look and sound great.

Jack

A more interesting question might be to ask how many ex-Naim users there are. You might find a higher number as audiophiles tend to change their equipment a lot and hang out on hifi forums. Linn and Naim seem to be a brand many well healed UK based audiophiles owned at some point in their life.

Started in 1982 with an LP12/32.5/Hicap./250/SARAS. Evolved into Linn LP12/Ekos/troika/52/52PS/250 with LesW mods/CDSII/XPS/Shahinian Arcs.

First to exit the XPS for a Teddy XPS. Then in 2014 All Teddy pre/power supply/monoblocks /cartridge step up device. Retained the CDSII because its the best thing I've heard for less than about 10 thousand pounds.

I enjoyed the journey but I am very happy where I am currently. No plans for UPGRADING, the bane of owning a Naim.

I believe that a lot of the "bad feeling" is resentment at the way the bean counters have decided to run the company & cynically milk their loyal client base. A bit of a shame really because there is no doubt that great groundwork was laid down during the earlier years which gave the company its loyal client base. But we are where we are as my chum Webby would say.

Having owned various exotic americana, valve stuff, etc. etc. I went with a friend to a demo at a Naim dealer, where he listened to an active SBL system. I loved it and immediately ordered a passive 250/52/SBL system after the dealer talked me out of going the whole hog. After only a couple of weeks I missed the active bit so bought the other bits and owned this system for fifteen years or so, occasionally listening to the so-called Naim beaters over the years. When I had a bit more time I thought I'd try NBLs but by then they were out of production so went for active SL2s, 500s & 552. Being smitten with a friend's DBLs I finally found a fellow fishy selling a pristine pair so added another 500 and apart from DR upgrades the Naim bits have stayed the same. I've listened to their digital kit but prefer Chord/Melco.

Like Bob I find all the Naim-hating a bit odd.

My Naim system has remained almost the same for nearly 20 years and apart keeping my eyes open for non-black speakers I doubt much will change for a long time.

CDX, 102, HC, NAPSC, 180, Intros, early Headline with HC.

Ditched the NACA5 for Avondale Blacklink about 8 years ago for convenience as much as for (the same) sound.

I was living in Saudi when I started all this, and there really wasn't much choice at all.

My "peak Naim" was about ten years ago, with a ARO, Prefix, CDS, NAC82, 4 x HiCap, NAXO, CB NAP250 and 2 x NAP160 running active Isobariks.
I then went electrostatic at the speaker end, streaming at the front end, discovered the joys of a DAC with a knob so lost the preamp, then went valve on the power amp, so now the only Naim bits are the ARO and the Prefix. I've always been open minded, and tried other stuff, Quad, Linn, Deno, NAD came and went, but in the end, prices of Naim rose faster than my disposable income could keep up, and so I looked at other things to justify my Naim purchases, and found things that I liked, that were not Naim. I probably won't go back, as the cost would be unreachable now.

Love my SBLs for being speakers designed to work in an average sized UK home - i.e. against the wall.

Have an n-Vi because it was going cheap locally. It seems to have all the grunt I need in a room barely over 4x3m.

Finally sorted that back room a couple of weeks ago, and now need some appropriate speaker cable and some Loctite Superflex Sealant and I'll find out if there is any bass to be had :)

Is there a disproportionate number of Naim enthusiasts posting on this forum? If so, what is the reason?

h.g.,

Is there a disproportionate number of Naim enthusiasts posting on this forum?
This would be so if on pfm [(all Naim audio users) ÷ (all audio users)] > on Earth [(all Naim users) ÷ (all audio users)]. I think it's safe to assume that's true.

If so, what is the reason?
Most fishies are based in the UK, Naim was a UK-based company, Naim figured prominently among audio makes during the 1980s and 1990s when most fishies on this forum were of the age where hi-fi was the cool thing to buy, Tony (who launched pfm) was a Naimie back in the day, many members of the original Naim forum migrated here when the forum took a different direction,...

Joe

Not sure where I fit in, I have a Nait 2 that I use from time to time but not in my main system.
Most of my kit is Linn, that I have to tell anyone that! :D

I was a Naim owner for many years, but have been Naim free for about 7 years.
Whilst I still think a Fraim filled with Naim is a lovely looking thing, I've not been tempted back.
Matt.

Martin,

...and a Nait2 to fondle occasionally.
I wish I had kept mine to fondle or play occasionally. Think a Nait 2 would be a good amp with GRFs or would the channel imbalance problem be an issue with high-efficiency speakers?

Joe

102/180/3.5 /2 hi caps. Have had this system since 97. Have VTL st 150 and 5.5 sig pre. Like to use the Naim in the warmer weather and seem to come back to it while having tried other gear. Speakers are Obs 2.

Over the last 20 years I have had just about the whole Olive range, a lot of the CB, some modded kit and a pair of Credos. Now it has all gone to be replaced by a rather special Nad integrated, Neat speakers and Van Damme cable. The Linn has gone too replaced by WT.

advertisement

Back