• Complete system is Naim

Votes: 36 9.9%
  • Part of your system is Naim

Votes: 149 41.0%
  • Nothing made by Naim in your system

Votes: 179 49.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tony (who launched pfm) was a Naimie back in the day, many members of the original Naim forum migrated here when the forum took a different direction,...
The comment was prompted by the apparent proportion of posts about Naim here compared to other forums. I guess once a forum starts to be established as the place to discuss Naim then such discussions will tend to grow at the expense of those elsewhere.

I am curious about how changes to Naim's own forum can drive Naim enthusiasts away to other forums?

If responding this time last year it would have been very different.......
All gone, replaced by JVC loveliness.

h.g.

On that forum you must never take a critical stance or use any other vendors psu and so forth.

It might cramp ones style. Therefore PFM is the answer to the dastardly Naim dissidents (as they are perceived ) that have been cramped in this way.

h.g.,

I guess once a forum starts to be established as the place to discuss Naim then such discussions will tend to grow at the expense of those elsewhere.
Funny thing is that several Naimies have said over the years that pfm is anti-Naim or the home of the Naim bashers.

I am curious about how changes to Naim's own forum can drive Naim enthusiasts away to other forums?
Heavier moderation and a few bans of prominent posters usually does it, though to be honest I can't recall if those were the main factors that led to the old Naim guard exodus.

I joined pfm because it became the new home base for the vinyl nutter from hell as he was known back in the day. I never left the old Naim forum for a reason, but as I began to use less and less Naim equipment that forum no longer was as relevant to me.

Joe

Only heard Naim equipment once, about 20 years ago. A neighbour inherited a chrome bumper pre and power amp set up (not a clue of the models) and he kindly offered to lend them to me.

I was using an Audiolab 8000A at the time and the Naim stuff disappointed, it seemed to be shouting at me....didn't like it at all. Never considered Naim since.

Main system: Cd5, 72, 250, 2 hi caps, 140 (was a CB 110) and a 42.
Second system: Uniti.

So I've got three generations of naim. I like the look of the 'classic' but not the sound so much. I never really liked the look of the olive (even though most of my system is olive). I like the look of the CB stuff best.

I don't understand the aggressively anti-Naim stance that some adopt. It's only hi-fi. No one forces you/us/me to buy it.

I moved from the Naim forum to here largely because most of the members I liked had moved. I occaisionally look in the music room over there as some did stay there who have similar musical tastes to me though I haven't posted there for about three years. Other hi-fi brands are available.

It looks like my poll has started to settle down to about 52 % (no Naim kit) vs 48 % (some or all Naim kit).

It confirms my feeling that not just the 'backbone' of PFM Audio forum membership, but much of the 'meat' too, is predominately Naim-centric. (With a dash of Linn and a spadeful of 'Teddy' stuff that keeps being mentioned.)

Never used any, never appealed to me. The Linn/Naim flat earth thing put me off, and I like valves and stuff I can build anyway. Can't really comment on the sound of Naim as I haven't paid it much attention. Don't like the looks though.

Long time naim user but just the early amps - not really enamoured by the other products particularly speakers - aro and armageddon are classics though.

Their strength for me is the obvious synergy with other makes such as Rega, Linn, arcam

Dave

I got shot of my CB Naim quite a few years ago. I suspect they needed servicing but the sound had become a bit forward. I have recently bought a Superuniti which I am very pleased with. I am moving more into streamed audio these days.

After 3 decades of Class A stuff and a two year dabble with valves (Art Audio), I decided to scratch the PRAT itch - I must say that I think I left it 3 decades too late. I am however, put off by all the faffing with blanking plugs or whatever they are called, and I reckon that the build quality is actually pretty poor.

I heard some many years ago and thought it sounded trully awful. I've never felt the urge to try again.

I don't actually know anyone who owns any. Clever marketing though.

Never owned either a Naim or a Linn - don't know why to be honest - I've heard plenty of them at shows and at hi-fi dems but, I think I should try one in my own acoustics to see what the fuss is all about (in some circles anyway).

Right now my amplification is Croft pre/power and digital sources vary with the Arcam Alpha CD player 9 impressing right now.

Hah! The last time I checked, Naim wasn't a class A drug; it's just a consumer electronics company.

I still need my fix now but it's far more difficult to obtain. When you're hooked into their upgrade ladder it's a simple path to follow which can culminate in the addict spending much, much too much far too quickly.

Was initially impressed in the 80s by a 72/140/Kan setup at the dealer who supplied my first system (Planar 3/Nytech 202/Heybrook HB1/NacA4), but they were beyond my budget. Eventually found some 110/32.5 amps, then moved up to a 72/140 system, but the box count was getting unwieldy (CDP, Tuner, phono and headphone amps), so now have a Mk.1 Uniti, and it does all I need in one box. Still using the original 8m lengths of NacA4, with RP3/MP110 and Doublets.
I'm happy, but occasionally would like more power. One day, perhaps, but only if I can find another all-in-one device.

I tried to leave, but never could.

The only two Naim pieces in regular use are a 'geddon and ARO on my LP12. I also have a Nait2 in the loft.

PFM has always been a more reasoned place for Naim discussion rather than the rather one dimensional Naim forum. Formed before my time, it has always been keen to discuss Naim but not push it at cost to other hifi churches.
My own system is Naim free for the first time in 20 years. The speakers are an acquired taste but the electronics are excellent when partnered (in my case) with Neat speakers.

Many years ago I accidentally auditioned some EPOS ES14 speakers. I am pretty sure that it was driven from Naim...dont think it was Linn.

Never again. The demo music was thrown at me with force and venom. "whaddya think about that? eh?" it seemed to say. Grinning youth 'demonstrator' did not help. Put me off Naim (and EPOS).

Ended up with a pair TDL studio 1's driven by a Kelvin Labs Class A integrated...Bliss.

On that forum you must never take a critical stance or use any other vendors psu and so forth.
Thanks. Yes I think I can see the wisdom in that with a marketing lead company and all those upgrade bits and bobs. Is the Linn forum similar?

advertisement

Back