advertisement

The MOSE/Hercules power supply for Linn LP12

Mine arrived too today. I have just realised that I can do a pretty nifty test by recording that same tracks that I used for the cartridge test last week using the MOSE power supply rather than the Lingo. Should be interesting as everyone will be able to listen when I put them up on the file sharing site.

Regards
CJ

I unpacked the Muse this evening. I'm really impressed with the fit and finish. Very solid indeed. However, I noticed a rattle :( Removing the 8 small counter-sunk screws I found the 4 plastic standoffs that the Hercules II board were sitting on had sheered off. I can't imagine the force necessary to sheer off the posts - they must have punted it across the Pacific. I've emailed Edmund - hopefully he can send me some replacements.

Dan

[edit: Edmund replied within an hour - he's sending some new posts.]

3258754017_35d6465a6f_o.jpg

I have found that the plugs and sockets on the cables and enclosures of the MOSE/Hercules and the Lingo are different in size. If they were the same, I could have probaby used one of the same cables for comparison between the two units.

Note all the wiring is different - the connector to the PCB from the MOSE is wired differently too - not a good idea at all to try mixing for comparison purposes. Most likely done to avoid copyright issues I suspect.

CJ

New clips arrived yesterday, and I got around to installing the MOSE this evening. Again, Edmund has been first rate in his follow up emails, and getting me going. Yeah, I have 45 rpm! So, first up was 'The First of the Microbe Hunters' - a 2xLP I'd purchased without knowing it was 45 rpm. Sounds fantastic. Minor quibble - seems very slow to start up and benefits from a nudge to get it going.

Mine LP12 45 starts at good pace, about 2-3 seconds . I think my motor is at very good condition. Anyway, I rahter start up from nudge than using the 45 adaptor .

Yes at first I thought my MOSE was faulty! The old '87 Valhalla went straight up to speed but switch on to the MOSE and the platter doesn't move initially.

However in perspective I switch on the LP12 and by the time the LP is out of its sleeve the platter is up to speed. Never had to nudge it.

Cheers,

DV

Yes, it's a minor quibble, and I'm glad you found the same DV. Tonight I hope to have a good listening session.

Dan

Mine does the same - I kinda like it. It is sort or like it is taking a deep breath before trying to spin the platter.

I have another LP12 arriving on Monday, a lot newer than my current one and with an Ittok LVII rather than my Ekos but also with Arkiv and Lingo. So I can kinda compare one with the other directly. It is a long story but I am going to make a best of both deck up and sell on the bits I have left.

Regards
CJ

Hercules use a NTC Power thermister, so it take 2-3 second to reach the required voltage (from 0v to 85V AC) to drive the motor every times the mains is removed or switched off. In case the mains is connected, the motor starts very fast when you press the speed button. Because the NTC Power thermister is alreay operating at its favourable condition. I saw many old Valhalla replaced that NTC thermister with a resistor.

After having lived with the Mose/Hercules for about two weeks I agree it is a very good PS, but ultimately I couldn't live with knowing that my Lingo 1 (filter removed) produced more detail and was just more enjoyable, in my opinion and in my system.

I managed to repair my Lingo, so I am putting my Mose/Hercules up for sale (in the US)

Colin

Bought Hercules and Mose from Edmond on Ebay Monday and it arrived today, Friday. Installed it this evening. Huge improvement on my old valhalla. Thoroughly reccomended.

Brenny

Hi
I got a Mose/Hercules and a 110v motor about month and a 1/2 ago for my Thorens TD150 was using a 16v motor with a Pro-ject SpeedBox II . Big improvement big drop in noise floor deeper bass clearer highs more detail what a great upgrade and Edmund is a great to deal with . Also if you a Thorens,Ariston,AR or oter turntable you should look in to getting a Mose/Hercules you will love as I do.
Robert

advertisement

Back