advertisement

The MOSE/Hercules power supply for Linn LP12

kcc123

pfm Member
A few days ago I successfully installed the Hercules board into the external MOSE unit and connected it to the LP12; it was quite easy, a piece of cake, and did not take too much time. I have listened to the outer power supply since, I am very impressed with the improvements that it has brought when compared the Hercules within the turntable previously, especially in terms of sound stage, clarity, refinement and bass resolution. I am now experimenting with different power cords at the moment to try and see the impacts to its performance.
I am also planning and looking forward to comparing the Lingo and the MOSE/Hercules as soon as I could find two identical cartridges for a fair battle. So far, in my experience with the Hercules, Lingo and the Origin Live DC motor, I think that they all have their own individual merits. Which one is better? It depends on one’s personal taste and preference and there is probably no definite answer to it, I assume. But for the money and performance, the Hercules is a best buy, highly recommended!

161f86u.jpg

124e9a9.jpg

2nroeuq.jpg

I git it from a Vinylengine member Edmund 123 who is in Hong Kong. I wonder if Stamford Audio may be able to source and supply it as well.

I think the MOSE /Hercules power supply can also be used with other turntables such as Systemdek and something similar as well, but probaby with a different interface board and a remote speed control switch.

I wonder if Mr Mose is in talks with Stamford Audio and doesn't want to let on.

Off topic, I replaced the BNCs with Phonos on my 72 yestarday while I was in testing out some 321s for a PFMr, made zero difference, looks neat though!

In topic. I do thnk, cost allowing, I'll get a MOSE as moving any kind of electronics away from the Troika has to be a good thing.

High quality Neutrik ones, very substantial and gold plated. I used BNC to phonos on the back of my 72 on the phono leads from my phono amp.

I have just ordrered one of these MOSE jobbies. I'll report my findings after its built. it looks extremely well thought out!

Hi Flatpopely,
I think you will be pleased with the MOSE, in terms of its build quality and the improvements that it would bring; especially the sound stage which is so wide and deep that one almost forgets about the walls, even the Lingo or Origin Live can not achieve that.

I wish this had been available years ago. I suspect this will be a definite improvement, as Jimmy Hughes proved it to me twenty five years ago with the Valhalla kit.

Naim's use of BNC's was a noble one, but bearing in mind we're talking of audio, rather than RF frequencies, it "could" have been a moot point and more to prevent owners trying different amps easily at the time. Perhaps the BNC termination has lower capacitance or something.

I've heard this idea many times that Naim had a cunning ploy to prevent trying different amps (with the use of BNC's) but BNC to phono adaptors existed back then and we used to regularly take off BNC's from arms and fit phono's (and vice-versa).

It's all part of the system building approach to marketing. Once someone has adopted a format there is a resistance to change, and the fact that if you stay within the club everything goes together well and component additions are easy and logical means that you won't change. Of course you can make or buy adaptors but it's not very straightforward - just look at how many threads here ask "Er, how do I connect this or that foreign power supply or amplifier to a NAC/NAP whatever?"

It is best if you contact Edmund 123 directly by sending him a PM on Vinlengine as he may do you a better deal. I can only tell you that the cost including shipping was very reasonable.

I've just had a chat with Edmond, and indeed, it is so reasonable I've just ordered one -- despite having vowed not to buy any new kit until March!

advertisement

Back