advertisement

Dark Side Of The Moon 50th Anniversary

Dub side is brilliant, love it.

Dubber side is also brilliant, but prefer the former...compare and contrast..

EDITED...at this time of Friday night I think I prefer the latter..

I‘m not sure if was Wembley, but my wife attended the European Woodstock around 1974… She saw the DSOTM show and says it was amAzing. From all accounts it was a gorgeous, state of the art production.

The Dark Side Of The Moon Live At Wembley 1974, is available at a very reasonable pre-order price outside the box. I’m really puzzled by that one as everyone who likes Dark Side Of The Moon should have at least one nice copy of it already

Ordered, thanks Tony L for the link.

Owning few different copies including 1974 LP I can say they all sound different to me and it's difficult to say which one is the best.
It always amazed me that 2003 SACD has new different effects mixed in which clearly I'm not able to find at any other release.
It's great to be able to find new sounds on the old very well know tracks but sometimes I think that's just a cash cow.
With all respect that was one of the best records ever.
I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us so who knows one day I might spent 230 quid :eek: just to check what's new is coming this time.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It always amazed me that 2003 SACD has new different effects mixed in which clearly I'm not able to find at any other release.

Does it? Not arguing but I’ve never noticed them. Not that I play the SACD often. I’d be interested to learn more…

How are you playing the SACD? It contains three mixes:

a) The conventional two channel red book CD, which is a pretty awful mastering in comparison to what went before on both vinyl and CD.

b) The conventional two channel SACD, which is regarded as one of the better standard masterings.

c) A then new multi-track surround-sound mix. Not the 1970s SQ4 Quad mix, something different for modern home cinema setups.

My guess is if you are hearing anything new you are listening to c) as the other two are just remasters of the original two channel mix. They don’t contain any new material. I’ve never heard c) as I don’t have a surround system so I can’t comment at all here.

PS Depending on how you have your SACD player setup you may even be listening to c) in two channels without realising. Certainly worth reading the player manual carefully to see how it defaults etc.

I might be wrong but for some reason I can't find some effects when playing CD or LP which I clearly hear when playing two channel SACD. I need to refresh my memory, listen to it again and I will try to find an example what I'm taking about.
Looking forward to hear your opinions and learn more. Like I said before I might be absolutely wrong and it's all just about my ears :p:rolleyes:.

The multi-channel? To my understanding the two-channel SACD layer is just a remaster, not a remix, as such adding guitar FX is impossible.

The multichannel mix of the 2003 SACD release. I don't know about any subsequent releases.

Honestly - just follow the track playlist - the following fiddle & guitar interpretation of 'Great gig in the sky' is far more inventive, interesting than any.conceivable.re-release of the.same.damn.thing , could ever be!

Such things make the music live, renewed and vibrant: and I don't even much care for bluegrass. Except, when I really do. The musicianship is better, for a start.

The SACD layer has some extra guitar effects in "On the Run".

That's the one, if my memory serves me well, which sounds different to me.
There was a cat meowing or something on this track at some point what i couldn't find anywhere else but SACD. But maybe it was just a scratch on my disc :eek:.
I need to investigate that again.

That's the one, if my memory serves me well, which sounds different to me.
There was a cat meowing or something on this track at some point what i couldn't find anywhere else but SACD. But maybe it was just a scratch on my disc :eek:.
I need to investigate that again.

So there is the first example what I meant by extra effects on the SACD.
If you listen to "On the Run" track there are some extra sounds from 1.17 to 1.25 including a something like cat at 1.24 min.
I can't hear it on a CD playing through the same DAC, LP version doesn't have it as well IMHO.

What can you hear guys ?

advertisement

Back