advertisement

Dark Side Of The Moon 50th Anniversary

& yet another opportunity to buy more vinyl..

Collectors Edition Dark Side of the Moon Released April 2024​

BY KEITH J · FEBRUARY 4, 2024

Legendary rock band Pink Floyd is set to release a Collector’s Edition of their iconic album “The Dark Side Of The Moon,”. This release brings an innovative twist to the vinyl experience. This edition is not just another reissue, but a ground breaking advancement in the vinyl realm.
Pre-Order from Amazon UK with delivery 19th April or Amazon.com for delivery 5th April 2024

A Technological First for Pink Floyd​

For the first time, Pink Floyd embraces a pioneering UV printing process on vinyl. This Collector’s Edition is a double 180g single-sided LP set. It has the unique feature of UV artwork print on the non-groove side. This method utilizes a high-end UV printer and UV-Led light to dry the permanent ink. This ensures the image remains pristine without affecting the audio quality.
Dark Side of the Moon 50th Collectors EditionDark Side of the Moon 50th Collectors Edition

Combining Art with Sound​

The Dark Side Of The Moon’s famous prism spectrum is now visible through the playable side of the crystal clear vinyl, enhancing the aesthetic appeal. This is while upholding the superior sound quality Pink Floyd fans expect. This edition merges a visually stunning experience with perfect audio fidelity, offering the best of both worlds.

Exclusive Packaging and Availability​

This special edition comes in a slipcased gatefold sleeve, accompanied by an exclusive poster, adding to its collector’s value. Following the 2023 release of the remastered album on CD, LP, and Blu-ray – first available as part of The Dark Side Of The Moon50th Anniversary Box Set – this Collector’s Edition is a continuation of the 50th Anniversary remaster campaign.

Pre-Order Now​

Fans eager to own this unique piece of music history can pre-order the set now. This release is not just a tribute to the album’s legacy, but also a testament to Pink Floyd’s ongoing innovation in music presentation. With this release, Pink Floyd not only commemorates an era-defining album but also pushes the boundaries of what vinyl can offer. This Collector’s Edition of “The Dark Side Of The Moon” is a must-have for audiophiles and collectors alike, merging art and technology in a way that only Pink Floyd can.

Amazon link

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
As ever with Pink Floyd they are being very cagy as to how limited it is. I’ve not seen any edition number anywhere. I suspect the manufacturing is far more time-consuming than usual, so it is likely a one pressing and done edition, but even so I’d love to see a number. Anyone any idea? Kind of tempting as a long term investment, but everyone else will be doing that too.

PS I’ve seen screen-printing on one-sided vinyl before now, e.g. I’ve got this IO Recordings 12” EP (Discogs). It’s kind of cool and the print seems well stuck on. The Floyd being clear makes more sense though!

& yet another opportunity to buy more vinyl..

Collectors Edition Dark Side of the Moon Released April 2024​

BY KEITH J · FEBRUARY 4, 2024

Legendary rock band Pink Floyd is set to release a Collector’s Edition of their iconic album “The Dark Side Of The Moon,”. This release brings an innovative twist to the vinyl experience. This edition is not just another reissue, but a ground breaking advancement in the vinyl realm.
Pre-Order from Amazon UK with delivery 19th April or Amazon.com for delivery 5th April 2024

A Technological First for Pink Floyd​

For the first time, Pink Floyd embraces a pioneering UV printing process on vinyl. This Collector’s Edition is a double 180g single-sided LP set. It has the unique feature of UV artwork print on the non-groove side. This method utilizes a high-end UV printer and UV-Led light to dry the permanent ink. This ensures the image remains pristine without affecting the audio quality.
Dark Side of the Moon 50th Collectors EditionDark Side of the Moon 50th Collectors Edition

Combining Art with Sound​

The Dark Side Of The Moon’s famous prism spectrum is now visible through the playable side of the crystal clear vinyl, enhancing the aesthetic appeal. This is while upholding the superior sound quality Pink Floyd fans expect. This edition merges a visually stunning experience with perfect audio fidelity, offering the best of both worlds.

Exclusive Packaging and Availability​

This special edition comes in a slipcased gatefold sleeve, accompanied by an exclusive poster, adding to its collector’s value. Following the 2023 release of the remastered album on CD, LP, and Blu-ray – first available as part of The Dark Side Of The Moon50th Anniversary Box Set – this Collector’s Edition is a continuation of the 50th Anniversary remaster campaign.

Pre-Order Now​

Fans eager to own this unique piece of music history can pre-order the set now. This release is not just a tribute to the album’s legacy, but also a testament to Pink Floyd’s ongoing innovation in music presentation. With this release, Pink Floyd not only commemorates an era-defining album but also pushes the boundaries of what vinyl can offer. This Collector’s Edition of “The Dark Side Of The Moon” is a must-have for audiophiles and collectors alike, merging art and technology in a way that only Pink Floyd can.

Amazon link

I love PF but f**k me, they're no strangers to the phrase "kicking the a**e out of it" are they?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
As ever with Pink Floyd they are being very cagy as to how limited it is. I’ve not seen any edition number anywhere.

Same here, if you google it literally every online retailer has it available with no mention of numbers. It still looks like a cool thing and can be picked up a fair bit cheaper than the Amazon link so I'm tempted.

I love PF but f**k me, they're no strangers to the phrase "kicking the a**e out of it" are they?

Indeed. Beatles-grade fan-milking. By saying that I’m a Kraftwerk fan and they’ve been repackaging the same stuff for decades now!

PS New Can live album! \o/

Same here, if you google it literally every online retailer has it available with no mention of numbers. It still looks like a cool thing and can be picked up a fair bit cheaper than the Amazon link so I'm tempted.

The Amazon pre-order link can be a very neat bit of gambling as if you order now you get the cheapest it dips between now and the release in several months time. The algorithm can be barking mad at times, I’m really tempted. If it dips below £50 it has to be a win.

I’m going to take a punt. If more info comes to light I can cancel the pre-order.

Must go and see which cd copy I have

The original ‘black triangle’ Japanese issue* or the first ‘black-face’ Japan for UK* are the ones you want. Very quiet mastering level, bit they sound exactly right, much better than any other digital including the SACD IMO. Sounds like the vinyl, in fact I’d place a bet on it being the vinyl cutting master.

*sadly there are variations of both, so you need to check matrixes. It is the first issue of either you want (they are exactly the same mastering, later ones are not and don’t sound as good). The ‘black triangle’ is very rare and expensive (£hundreds), the ‘black-face’ J for UK can still be found in the wild (I found my copy last year for the princely sum of £2.50).

The Amazon pre-order link can be a very neat bit of gambling as if you order now you get the cheapest it dips between now and the release in several months time. The algorithm can be barking mad at times, I’m really tempted. If it dips below £50 it has to be a win.

I’m going to take a punt. If more info comes to light I can cancel the pre-order.

Ok, you've talked me into it.

I notice on the Amazon link it says "#1 Best Seller in Vinyl with 500+ bought in last month"

Mine (I seem to have 2 copies) had a printed colour face on the cd disc and the prism on the case front is slightly silver in colour. I guess that’s not the holy grail version..!

Mine (I seem to have 2 copies) had a printed colour face on the cd disc and the prism on the case front is slightly silver in colour. I guess that’s not the holy grail version..!

That’s a pretty recent one, ‘93 I think.

52638768755_27f262e72c_b.jpg

The ones you want look like the top two (Japanese black triangle, Japan for UK black face). Even then you aren’t in the clear as you need the right matrix. The SACD is pretty good too (only the SACD layer, the CD is pretty compressed), and that would be my next choice. I’d take any ‘70s UK vinyl over any of them, but I was surprised just how close the black face got.

PS My black triangle (above) is the wrong master, actually the same as the UK silver-face. Annoying, as it makes it worth about £30 rather than £300-500!

Ok, you've talked me into it.

I notice on the Amazon link it says "#1 Best Seller in Vinyl with 500+ bought in last month"

I’ve actually created a calendar event to remind me at the start of April. I‘ll assess what I know then and cancel if it looks like they’ve pressed millions of the bloody things. I don’t normally punt on big-ticket bands, my interest is far more in very limited new stuff from small bands starting out.

PS I don’t want or need this, it’s just a speculative thing. I’ve got a half decent complete ‘70s copy and the black-face CD. That’s all I need. That said I think this is more interesting as a thing than the huge black Anniversary box that milked Floyd fans last year. It is something kind of new as a format idea.

Rather than make a preorder as it is months away yet I have put it in my Amazon Vinyl list to watch. I guess I could put it in the Amazon app for notifications on price drops.

Rather than make a preorder as it is months away yet I have put it in my Amazon Vinyl list to watch. I guess I could put it in the Amazon app for notifications on price drops.

Don’t underestimate just how batshit crazy the algorithm can be, if it takes a real dip just for an hour or two a pre-order will catch that and it becomes your price. The one thing I that is attractive here is the release is such a long time off and that has to stack things a little in our favour. That said I have a feeling the algorithm may be a little less insane these days, but I’ve certainly won on it in the past. There was a long pre-order on the DSOTM Live At Wembley and IIRC that landed on the doormat at about £15.50, though that one wasn’t limited and has settled at a very reasonable £20 (actually feels like decent value for what you get; nice pressing, nice cover, posters etc).

PS Given the huge time-frame, and given I really don’t need it myself, I think if it hasn’t sold-out, or at least starting to look really tight in supply by the start of April I’ll just cancel.

Edit: I’ve cancelled! I have a feeling they’ve made container-loads of them, so I’ll leave it to those who actually want it. I’m sure it will be really nice, and I’d not be at all surprised if Amazon’s bonkers preorder algorithm didn’t get the best price given the huge lead-time, so if you want it get in now, but I just don’t need this one myself and I have a feeling I’d have to keep it sealed for a decade or so to show a good return.

Last edited:
Not for me either at the current price. Already have a MOFI version in pristine condition. Doesn't get played much at all. Would need to be quite a bit lower for me to have a reasonable interest. Does look smart though. It looks like vinyl manufacturing is trying to be different in this new revival world.

Already have a MOFI version in pristine condition.

That version is not very good at all IMHO. It is however worth a lot of money. If I were you I’d sell it and buy this (which I’d expect to be a lot better) or a nice tidy bog-standard used ‘70s cut for about £50-70. The latter would be my choice, but I’d also expect this clear copy to be very nicely done. The MoFi just sounds all kinds of wrong to me; mid-scooped and gutless.

Do we really need another version Dark Side of the Moon?

With all these classic albums they should just recreate the originals in totally obsessive detail IMO. In this case just remake the UK ‘blue triangle’ 1st press down to the last full stop on the cover, the type of backing on the stickers, and get the master right to the point you can’t tell it apart in a blind test. Just let everyone have access to the real deal for £25 or whatever. Job done. Now do a turquoise letter laminated sleeve red/plum Led Zep 1, a ‘loud cut’ Rubber Soul etc. Just do it right and keep it in print for everyone who wants one.

With all these classic albums they should just recreate the originals in totally obsessive detail IMO. In this case just remake the UK ‘blue triangle’ 1st press down to the last full stop on the cover, the type of backing on the sticker, and get the master right to the point you can’t tell it apart in a blind test. Just let everyone have access to the real deal for £25 or whatever. Job done. Now do a turquoise letter laminated sleeve red/plumb Led Zep 1, a ‘loud cut’ Rubber Soul etc. Just do it right and keep it in print for everyone who wants one.
Mind you, wouldn’t that kill the a1/b1 collectors market/prices

Mind you, wouldn’t that kill the a1/b1 collectors market/prices
Probably not as the history is so significant, plus geeks like me would always be able to tell, but it would certainly give everyone a really nice authentic looking and sounding copy who wanted it.

advertisement

Back