advertisement

Dark Side Of The Moon 50th Anniversary

No great interest in this reissue but I'm dismayed to see Pink Floyd have gone "woke":

Fm4pQ-2WIAIO_RR

When will this madness end?!
Some of the replies in the link are pure knuckle dragger. Arseholes.

I wonder what all the bother is considering the original Alan Parsons Quad mix, as presumably, signed off by the band at the time of release ,came out in digital format a few years ago.

Why are they trying to resurrect it if it's not about money?

In direct response to no one asking for it ever Roger Waters is re-recording DSOTM in an all-Roger/no-rock manner:

In the studio of his house, he plays three tracks from a brand new re-recording of “The Dark Side of the Moon”, which celebrates its 50th birthday in March. “The new concept is meant to reflect on the meaning of the work, to bring out the heart and soul of the album,” he says, “musically and spiritually. I’m the only one singing my songs on these new recordings, and there are no rock and roll guitar solos.”

The spoken words, superimposed on instrumental pieces like “On The Run” or “The Great Gig in the Sky” and over “Speak To Me”, “Brain Damage” “Any Colour You Like and Money” are meant to clarify his “mantra”, the message he considers central to all his work: “It’s about the voice of reason. And it says: what is important is not the power of our kings and leaders or their so-called connection with God. What is really important is the connection between us as human beings, the whole human community.

From an interview on Pressenza.

Warning: the interview also contains bizarre fringe-leftist Putin-apologist takes.

Mr Waters tweet says he is taking legal advice against Ms Samson (Mrs Gilmour). Safe to say any joint PR for the 50th anniversary launch is unlikely to take place with both RW and DG present in the same room

From an interview on Pressenza.

Warning: the interview also contains bizarre fringe-leftist Putin-apologist takes.

I liked the bit in the interview where an elderly English bloke told an actual Ukrainian teenager actually living in Ukraine that he was definitely right about Ukraine being full of nazis and she was mistaken and must not be looking hard enough if she hadn't spotted any.

That he’d speak to a vile far-right rag like the Telegraph speaks volumes. Waters’ is a very confused leftism, kind of a worst of all worlds capitalist tankie.

PS I view the Telegraph as a very deliberate choice. Waters is so high profile he can unquestionably choose his platform. His is not a marginalised viewpoint, if he wanted an hour on the BBC, C4 or Sky News he could get it. For some reason he chose to platform himself via a Tory tax-exile propaganda organ.

Old people publicizing stuff that they'd be shouting over the back fence twenty years ago. Cringeworthy from all sides.

I’ve no issue with musicians having a view on politics. I’d argue much of the best music ever written is protest music and some kept sharp as a knife right up until the very end (e.g. Gil Scott Heron). The problem here is the likes of Morrissey, Van Morrison, Clapton, Waters etc have a pretty dumb take on things and end up alienating people.

I’ve no issue with musicians having a view on politics. I’d argue much of the best music ever written is protest music and some kept sharp as a knife right up until the very end (e.g. Gil Scott Heron). The problem here is the likes of Morrissey, Van Morrison, Clapton, Waters etc have a pretty dumb take on things and end up alienating people.
Yeah but his wife weighing in....it's all a bit council.

Yeah but his wife weighing in....it's all a bit council.

In fairness Polly Samson is more than ‘his wife’. She has every right to express an opinion regardless, and even more so as she wrote much of the lyrics on The Division Bell and most of Gilmour’s solo albums. Here’s her Wikipedia entry.

PS I’ve never even heard the Division Bell so I have no opinion on quality (the most recent Floyd I know is The Wall). She is however clearly a stakeholder in this picture and her opinion is as valid as anyone else’s.

In fairness Polly Samson is more than ‘his wife’. She has every right to express an opinion regardless, and even more so as she wrote much of the lyrics on The Division Bell and most of Gilmour’s solo albums. Here’s her Wikipedia entry.

PS I’ve never even heard the Division Bell so I have no opinion on quality (the most recent Floyd I know is The Wall). She is however clearly a stakeholder in this picture and her opinion is as valid as anyone else’s.

When it comes to launching insults - true or not - she's no more than his wife in this instance. Waters has nothing to do with 'post-Waters' PF or Division Bell. She is not a stakeholder in the Gilmour-Waters war of attrition.

Now if Waters comments on her songwriting on Division Bell or anything else she has contributed to then all bets are off.

advertisement

Back