advertisement

Dark Side Of The Moon 50th Anniversary

Got mine, just playing side 2 now, started at 16:08, will update when I get to the end. It doesn’t sound like a 32 minute side to me. Not the loudest or dynamic cut I’ve heard by a long margin, but it has some punch and weight. The bass sound on Money is remarkably good, very Fender Precision.

I didn’t think to time side one, but I did notice a couple of points that could be edits; there’s a bit of a clunky transition from Speak To Me into Breathe, and again mid-way through Great Gig. May just be me imagining it though, I’ve never heard this gig before.

Nice quiet pressing in a poly inner. Mine’s a little dished, but I’m not sure if I can be arsed flattening it (I have a flattener that works well on this type of issue).

Amazon chose all the packaging today, so it came in a decent mailer inside a huge box. Absolutely no issues with this at the asking price. It’s pretty good too. I’d have far preferred the earlier part-formed version I referred to way back upthread as that’s genuinely interesting. This is a very competent live version of the record with little improvisation. Certainly worth having if you like the album.

PS just finishing now so I’ll hold off posting… Finish time is 16:33, so 25 minutes-ish

Listening to it on Spotify. 1st side would be 24 mins, 2nd side 31 mins, so vinyl version must be edited.

On hearing it, I'm happy to pass. As Tony mentioned, the earlier version (pre-recording of the album) is far more interesting.

Makes me curious as to what they removed now as six minutes is a hell of a lot. If we were to use say Donna Summer’s ‘I Feel Love’ as a unit of measurement it comes to ‘one’. They’ve cut a whole ‘I Feel Love’ from side 2 alone! That said it doesn’t feel like anything is missing, all of DSOTM is still there.

Yep.

Duck%20mind%20blown.jpeg

Listening to the live LP just now and it's excellent, good to hear a live album that's a bit different to the original version.

If you're a fan it's well worth £19 ;)

Michael 45 on the sound quality. In no surprise to anyone it doesn’t worry a UK 1st pressing. I’ll be interested to see what Mike at The In Groove makes of it, though I find his take quite off from mine (e.g. he raved about the 30th, which just sounds wrong to me).

PS FWIW my recommendation is for any pre-barcode UK copy! I’ve stuck mine, which is an A10/B9, so really nothing special, up against a blue triangle 1st pressing and it wasn’t miles behind, and I much prefer it to the 30th which I’ve had pass through the shop several times. Any of them are better than the MoFi, which sounds like a different record.

Listening to the live LP just now and it's excellent, good to hear a live album that's a bit different to the original version.

If you're a fan it's well worth £19 ;)

£16.01 pre-ordered with Scamazon, which I feel was a bargain having spun both sides

I don’t feel like buying another copy. My 1978 pressing is rather fine. For better sound or less noise I’d go digital perhaps.

Reactions: ACM
For better sound or less noise I’d go digital perhaps.

If it is a UK pressing you won’t better it digitally. The very first Japanese CDs I mention upthread are the closest by far, and they are very hard to find and very spendy in the case of the original black-triangle.

My pressing is the French one. Thick enough, completely flat and with low surface noise. Bought in 1982 I think.

Has this been posted before?
https://magicvinyldigital.net/2023/...uz-hi-res-stereo-4-0-5-1-21-versions/#Summary

Interesting analysis, though let down massively by not having original or at least very early UK vinyl in the mix, i.e. the real reference benchmark is missing.

That said the dynamic picture is interesting and I suspect the 1984 pre-emphasis CD (like my black-face upthread) likely represents the closest to the original intent in the test. I am pretty certain it was taken from the same vinyl cut master as all the classic UK vinyl from the ‘blue triangle’ onwards. One thing to look at which is overlooked in the review (unless I’ve missed it) is the overall dynamic sweep of what is really a suite of songs/a complete work. Note how on the 1984 CD the closing section of Money is obviously louder than anything else on the disc. As is the case with so much modern mastering (yes Kraftwerk, I’m looking at you!) this becomes bleached out on music I assume now marketed to streaming services. The tracks become more levelled and homogenised, the overall ‘story arc’ of the album is lost. Dynamic range is far more than just allowing headroom for drum hits etc, it is the ebb and flow of a whole work.

I have a Harvest 7th issue SHVL 804 dating from 1989. One of the best sounding LP's in my collection. I wonder what I am missing out on not having an earlier issue.

I also have the 30th anniversary SACD, which sounded very good I think, but not played it for ages.

Not yet had a chance to listen to the new live LP received a couple of days back. I feel a "bake-off" coming on!

advertisement

Back