advertisement

Ukraine V

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Ukraine#:~:text=Ukraine is one of a,the" on 3 December 1991.

IIUC, the convention is that "The" is a preposition for a region, not a country. Use of "the" in conjunction with "Ukraine" harks back to pre-independence and when it was a member of the Soviet Union; quite emotive when you're fighting against that happening again. :)

[Edit]

Bob McC told me off about it once, so I dun some reading. :)
I remember Argentina being referred to as the Argentine in British and American English. According to Wikipedia its official title is the Argentine Republic - República Argentina

Maybe it's because Ukraine hasn't been independent long enough. It seems that in English "the" is used to denote a region - i.e. a non-sovereign land.

Back in times that only the more ancient of us here will have lived in, the phrase "The Ukraine" wa quite common and widely assumed as being 'correct'. However I assume this was adopted during the 'cold war' era when the USSR was often regarded as a wider term than 'Russia'. This then can lead to a lack of thought when the modern reality drew attention after decades of not having paid any.

Try this link. https://tinyurl.com/yxkj2jwr

Having the F-bomb in the URL causes problems.

artworks-000079706254-czktnb-t500x500.jpg

UKRAINIAN RESISTANCE

I would rather get my news from UK Column than any of the MSM....Its a disgusting proxy war by the US UN and European Union.......the Russians are just as f in bad as well.
The Globalists are the enemy

I would rather get my news from UK Column than any of the MSM....Its a disgusting proxy war by the US UN and European Union.......the Russians are just as f in bad as well.
The Globalists are the enemy

Interesting perspective. A question if you don’t mind. Who are these “globalist enemies”? Do you have a list?

I had cause to check this lot out during a very long discussion about Covid restrictions on A N Other hifi forum (the forum owner kept linking to it). They got some very basic facts about current and proposed legislation completely wrong, and linked to some very dubious sites in the US, which majored on such things as Holocaust denial.

I had cause to check this lot out during a very long discussion about Covid restrictions on A N Other hifi forum (the forum owner kept linking to it). They got some very basic facts about current and proposed legislation completely wrong, and linked to some very dubious sites in the US, which majored on such things as Holocaust denial.
Was said forum a van the man/ slow hand anti-vaccination geezer type of milieu where your apostasy was at a cost you ?

In parts, yes. To be fair, the anti-vax crew were always in a minority there.

The forum owner seems to have vanished from the face of the earth, but the forum staggers on.

advertisement

Back