advertisement

What’s your Naim ?

Yeah but it is only human memory of production chat, truth is a harder thing to know ... still, my belief is they were originally for the Japanese market and I think predated CDS.

Still like the Mk1 Supernait for the flexibility of both analogue and digital inputs with a fairly decent DAC built in.

Still like the Mk1 Supernait for the flexibility of both analogue and digital inputs with a fairly decent DAC built in.

Had the SN1 but never really came on with it, much preferred SN2 in my main setup.
Curious how it would compete to my SU, upstairs TV setup, which I'm quite happy with.

I went from a NAP 110 to a NAP 160, and in my room, with my speakers and at the levels I listened, there wasn't anything in it. I could have saved the money.
They both definitely share the same DNA and sound signature.
I still own a NAP 160BD and when I compare to my 110, it’s treble is a bit smoother and the midrange is slightly more transparent but its bass is slower resulting in bass drum kicks that doesn’t impact as much as the 110. Snare drum also punches harder with the 110.

Easy. Had lots of Naim gear over the last 20 years (I have none now) but the one that kept coming back (I’ve had 4 of them) was the Chrome Bumper Nait 2. Looks fantastic and sounded so sweet when operated within its limits. Naim never did it better. Less can be more.

Mine is a Nait 5i which I've recently reconnected and it has amazing bass through my dynaudio 1.3mkii contour. I'd love an xs3.

One can be very satisfied with a Naim CD player/Nait 2/IBLs in a suitably-sized room. Heck, I have exactly that! :D

I use a CDS2. Extra points for a mullet system.;)

Hock,

One can be very satisfied with a Naim CD player/Nait 2/IBLs in a suitably-sized room. Heck, I have exactly that! :D

I use a CDS2. Extra points for a mullet system.;)

A CDS2, Nait 2, IBL is a pompadour system — i.e., front-end heavy. A mullet system is something like a CD3, Nait 1 and DBLs.

Joe

Damn, I got my terms mixed up!

Anyway, I did have a mullet system - Technics 1200mk2 with cheap MM cart into DBLs. So there! :D

Don't knock mullets. Streaming Tidal via Bluesound Node 2i into NAIT2 and Yamaha NS1000M sounds fab!

I have a 1995 NAC72 with CD on the source selector and single phono inputs. Is that one of these that would have been made for the Japanese market people were talking about earlier?
Also hicap and a pair of very late olive 135s. Highest serial numbers I've seen anyway and well into the post-Olive era. Not sure the history as I got them second hand. They have the 007 transistors in them too that I think were developed for the NAP500.

I've tried other stuff and liked other stuff, but in the end the utter simplicity, lovely sound and killer looks means I can't ever see myself swapping out for anything else more than for a bit of fun for a couple of weeks.

My CD player is a CDX which you never hear a good word about. I don't have rack room for a power supply or 2-box CD player so I just stick with it as it matches the rst of the system. Certainly sounds good enough for me even if it could probably be bettered.

I have a 1995 NAC72 with CD on the source selector and single phono inputs. Is that one of these that would have been made for the Japanese market people were talking about earlier?
Also hicap and a pair of very late olive 135s. Highest serial numbers I've seen anyway and well into the post-Olive era. Not sure the history as I got them second hand. They have the 007 transistors in them too that I think were developed for the NAP500.

I've tried other stuff and liked other stuff, but in the end the utter simplicity, lovely sound and killer looks means I can't ever see myself swapping out for anything else more than for a bit of fun for a couple of weeks.

My CD player is a CDX which you never hear a good word about. I don't have rack room for a power supply or 2-box CD player so I just stick with it as it matches the rst of the system. Certainly sounds good enough for me even if it could probably be bettered.
As far as I know, all NAC 72s have a CD input and one for phono. It’s the Nait 2 that has phono and CD variants.

At the moment mine is a CD5 Si only because Linn no longer support this format and I couldn’t get my hands on a Moon cd 260 d t.
In the past Nat 101 and snaps, excellent until I moved and lost the ability to have an outside aerial!

As far as I know, all NAC 72s have a CD input and one for phono. It’s the Nait 2 that has phono and CD variants.
The original 72 had two sets of BNCs for phono and aux, what you did with aux was up to you, it could have variable input cards, or another set of phono cards, or striaght through cards suitable for high level inputs like a CD. This is what my 72 is like.
Later the 72 dropped one pair of BNCs and added a DIN input marked as CD.
This was a general move and not a special for the Japanese market is my understanding. By then the CDS was out!

Yup...
that’s what I believe as well, earlier builds (like mine) had two sets of BNC sockets. The second set were marked as Aux. Both inputs used a Daughter board to set the input gain. The choice was a Jumper board (straight through), a trim pot to reduce the sensitivity or (like mine) a second phono input.
Later 72’s had the Aux input renamed to CD and replaced the second BNC’s with a Collar locking DIN socket (and probably had the Jumper Board fitted as standard).
Most users would only be using one turntable so it makes sense that way.
Either way, both versions are a cracking little Pre for naim aficionados like us and equally enjoyable. As a collector rather than a regular user, the dual phono inputs just gives me more options without having to crack the case open to switch between MM or MC.

LPSinner

The original 72 had two sets of BNCs for phono and aux, what you did with aux was up to you, it could have variable input cards, or another set of phono cards, or striaght through cards suitable for high level inputs like a CD. This is what my 72 is like.
Later the 72 dropped one pair of BNCs and added a DIN input marked as CD.
This was a general move and not a special for the Japanese market is my understanding. By then the CDS was out!
Thanks for the clarification. I can’t remember which version of the 72 I once had.

earlier builds (like mine) had two sets of BNC sockets

I've had the early 72 which came with installed variable cards, sounded muffled so changed to fixed (empty) cards.
Later on got a CD Nac 72 which was one on the very latest - no cards in CD input, a truly splendid preamp.

advertisement

Back