advertisement

What’s your Naim ?

My favorite overall was my Nait 2, unfortunately it, along with a complete active SBL active system went away during divorce proceedings mid 2005. :( A couple of years ago I bought a new Nait XS3 and ND5XS2 to replace my over ten year old Uniti 1. While I really love the combination, I really still love the do-all, simplicity of the Uniti. It just sounds great and still serves bedroom duty, cannot imagine get rid of it!

(I'd love to have one of these but unfortunately both are no longer an option for me, because their big toroidal transformers hum like crazy in my room) :(

If you wanted to try a Sjostrom DCT03 it would probably make them nice and quiet if it were DC on the mains, worked well for my 72/Hicap, NAXO, 2x250, CDi system.

My first Naim, a 42/110 bought in 1986. The 72/140 that followed was also excellent - should have stopped there.
Went up the ladder myself and went back down to my 110 which is now the one I use and enjoy the most.
Paired it with a Classe Audio CP35 preamp from the 90’s and it’s a mariage made in heaven.

Well have had various bits over the years ones that have stayed are 72, had a few of these the flexibility to change cards etc and power supply means I will hang onto it if I ever go down that route again.
I did enjoy my 180 with a 72, came alive with a little Sonic Bliss power supply.

Biggest surprise has been the Nait XS MK1 was meant to be a short term stop gap but I enjoy and fortunate no buzzing or humming, it's actually quieter than the 5i that I had before it.
Best compliment I can give is I am still using it no desire to dig out pre power and psu. Yes I know putting a power supply can raise it further but simply it does the job as is not a thundering power house but with the little Ruark speakers and a Rotel CD player it's pretty good

SBLs. A guilty pleasure! I’ve had five pairs. The most recent, light wood very late Mk2.5s I actually rather wish I’d kept.

Also the Mk1 and 2 Naits. Looking forward to firing up the olive Mk2 recently acquired.

Hiya Mr Whaleblue

I am surprised you didn’t, cracking looking (and sounding) pair wasn’t they

Favourite 42(later.5) 110 bought in 1984, improved by HiCap which in hindsight created my upgrade path/bug. Never really happy again until 52/Scap/135s that's it for me unless I downsize. Never heard a Nac12 Nap 160 or other earlier stuff.

If you wanted to try a Sjostrom DCT03 it would probably make them nice and quiet if it were DC on the mains, worked well for my 72/Hicap, NAXO, 2x250, CDi system.
Thank you Nobeone, it is indeed DC on the mains in my room. I've tried several several DC-blockers. (Supra, Audiolab)
They all killed the humming immediately, but... unfortunately they also killed the sound.:eek: (making the music sound very dull, lacking dynamics and sparkle) :(
So therefor my faith in DC-blockers that don't ruin the sound is pretty much gone, tbh.

Original Nait for me - fun and engaging.

Fav pre power is probably 42/110. Bolt down 12/160 is more musical but the bass is a fraction slow.

Currently using CDX2.2 with a CDX2 and CD3 in storage and working well last time I used them. CD3 is nearly 30 years old. In a 1989 shop demo I tried the latest mid priced Naim, Linn and Exposure amps and chose the Exposure immediately. The dealer got quite abusive and told me that I was listening to the wrong music. It was Miles Davis You're Under Arrest:D

After the Exposures (20 years) I chose ATC amplification, still not liking the Naim amp sound;

I think in many ways while my system has changed over the years (high and low) the one that I most fondly remember was an Olive 72/HC/250 set. If i had to pick a single item I will say ARO.

Thank you Nobeone, it is indeed DC on the mains in my room. I've tried several several DC-blockers. (Supra, Audiolab)
They all killed the humming immediately, but... unfortunately they also killed the sound.:eek: (making the music sound very dull, lacking dynamics and sparkle) :(
So therefor my faith in DC-blockers that don't ruin the sound is pretty much gone, tbh.
Some DC blockers include filtering and more besides, the Sjostrom is just a cap bank and some beefy diodes, it does not, IMHO, ruin anything. YMMV.

Still using a Naim CD5X and Flatcap, bought new about 15 years ago and it’s used a few times a week as I still buy CD’s, and I’ve enjoyed having it in my system.
At some point I may look to see if I can trade it in as spares are in short supply.

My two favourites of the stuff I owned were, and by some margin; a) a 32.5/HiCap/250, and b) a CD Nait 2.

The former because it is just the classic chrome-bumper Naim amp IMO. It what comes to mind when I think of Naim, the classic Naim look and sound. The CD Nait 2 as it ran the former surprisingly close and did so in such a neat and compact form. There are others, e.g. I’d not be too bothered in the 32.5 was swapped with a 42.5 or chrome bumper 62, and I’m not sure I’d even notice the 250 being swapped-out for a nice late 160. FWIW I preferred the 250 to the 135s I had first. Just warmer and bouncier somehow. I do wish I’d kept a mint boxed Nait 1 or 2 as a spare/reference point, but I’d not pay today’s price for them!

I’ve only had a Uniti 1 and a Nova. I like the Nova but still have a great amount of respect for the uniti

Active 135s and SL2s were a blast, but replaced with ATCs as no boxes, just two speakers :D

That said I still own a 202/200/AV2/V175/n-Cent/n-Sats/n-Sub system at my partner's in her London house and a Nait 5i/CD5X set up in to Allaes which brings me to the answer to the OP's question... the Allaes are Naim's best kept secret. Bought a pair new and sold them for the SL2s, but missed them in my life so bought a cherry pair off here for £360 and they are in my second system... absolutely brilliant for the money. Once my house renovation is complete they will be surplus to requirements but I will find a way to keep them... somehow :D

My two favourites of the stuff I owned were, and by some margin; a) a 32.5/HiCap/250, and b) a CD Nait 2.

The former because it is just the classic chrome-bumper Naim amp IMO. It what comes to mind when I think of Naim, the classic Naim look and sound. The CD Nait 2 as it ran the former surprisingly close and did so in such a neat and compact form. There are others, e.g. I’d not be too bothered in the 32.5 was swapped with a 42.5 or chrome bumper 62, and I’m not sure I’d even notice the 250 being swapped-out for a nice late 160. FWIW I preferred the 250 to the 135s I had first. Just warmer and bouncier somehow. I do wish I’d kept a mint boxed Nait 1 or 2 as a spare/reference point, but I’d not pay today’s price for them!

CD Nait2? As in a late one with a CD input? (As opposed to typo CB?)

Hiya Mr Whaleblue

I am surprised you didn’t, cracking looking (and sounding) pair wasn’t they

Yes, I bought from you didn’t I? I remember asking for first refusal if the chap that bought them from me was moving them on. Perhaps he still has them!

EDIT: or was it you I sold to?? :)

advertisement

Back