advertisement

Jerry Sadowitz cancelled

There’s a Contrapoints video for that too! I know it is lazy of me just dropping in a well researched 90 minute video from someone in the trans community, but no way in hell could I hope to make the points better. I’ll also link to JK Rowling’s Twitter account so you can see how she behaves in her own words. I used to have some respect for her, but the way she has weaponised the TERF thing and the way she punches downwards has entirely lost that for me.

Trans folk are almost certainly the most vulnerable in our society at present. The suicide rate is simply horrifying (around 80% have considered suicide, 40% have actively attempted it) and despite this they find themselves vilified and actively cast out of an increasingly right-wing society. I am right out of my depth on this stuff, it is bewilderingly complex, I just believe kindness, acceptance and support is the way forward. This is why I’d far prefer you to watch say the Natalie Wynn’s video above and then follow various discussions from within the trans community on Twitter (which is exceptionally fractured and not one thing at all). There is no simple answer here, the only people attempting to find one are the far-right looking for a scapegoat. The hate culture is staggering; folk routinely doxxed, dead-named, attacked as “groomers” etc. It is sickening and all decent folk really need to stand up. I’m not accusing JK Rowling of this, but her views are certainly being actively weaponised by many others.
If the trans community are, by & large, being protected from such transphobic people by universities & the media in general & the amount of help available is second to none in the medical community, where transition is concerned (something the trans community say is the only way of moving forward from gender dysphoria) why is there is there so much suicide amongst the community. JK Rowling claims trans women are not biological women who should enter female personal space where young young girls are at their most vulnerable. I have no issue with this.

Have you ever attended a debate where gender critical feminists put forward their arguments? I’ve attended several. Whatever you think of the content of the arguments, they don’t change or develop in response to counter arguments. Every time these people speak it’s to run through a checklist of weird obsessions and provocations. Student debating societies and political organisations that have indulged these people are entitled to move on. Sometimes debates do actually settle things and one thing that’s been settled is that gender critical feminists are not worth talking to. As has been pointed out they have lots of mainstream platforms to express their opinions. People who choose not to indulge them shouldn’t be forced to.
That's up to the university concerned but is it not the responsibility of universities to expose all aspects of society & allow the students to decide how they move forward. Stifling debate is dangerous.

I'm genuinely interested how she can be punching down; surely in that context everyone is punching on an even playing field unless it's being suggested she is somehow above them to be punching down, or that demographic are in some way below her in order to be punched down on.

She is a multi-millionaire/billionaire with an absolutely massive platform (plus a castle!) punching down on a highly marginalised and vilified group that have an alarmingly high suicide rate and very little if any public voice. This is absolutely not an equal debate.

Yes i can Petition urges Cardiff University to cancel Germaine Greer lecture | Germaine Greer | The Guardian

This "person" has come to the conclusion that Trans women are not biological females who have gone through female puberty, have the ability to give birth or go through female menopause. Her speech was cancelled because of her views. I would prefer those at the university to debate this subject & prove her views wrong rather than cancelling the speech. There is ample time at any university debate for questions & to dissagree with the speakers views.

Cancelling people based on personal agenda is dangerous. It needs to be aired & discussed for society to move forward.

Please check your post for accuracy - the lecture that was petitioned against went ahead regardless (unless the Guardian made up their detailed account of the lecture content):

"Germaine Greer gives university lecture despite campaign to silence her"
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...est-germaine-greer-lecture-cardiff-university

Little point calling for a 'debate' when you launch pure fabrications and half baked assertions (as is so often the case with 'cancel outrage' ranters...)

She is a multi-millionaire/billionaire with an absolutely massive platform (plus a castle!) punching down on a highly marginalised and vilified group that have an alarmingly high suicide rate and very little if any public voice. This is absolutely not an equal debate.
But it's not a question of money, status or property - it's about an opinion on gender. Are you telling me that her kind aren't allowed an opinion?

But it's not a question of money, status or property - it's about an opinion on gender. Are you telling me that her kind aren't allowed an opinion?

Again - the kind of simplistic reduction glibly trotted out by 'cancel outrage' ranters.

There is a whole world of difference between having an opinion and having access to a wide platform to spread that opinion

Denying the latter is not denying the former - get it now? ;)

Just watch the first 25 minutes or so of the Contrapoints video above. It deals with it head-on and exponentially better than I could ever hope to do in a few sentences here. The video is a very good and intelligent deconstruction of bigotry in general IMHO.

If the trans community are, by & large, being protected from such transphobic people by universities & the media in general & the amount of help available is second to none in the medical community,

Sorry to be plain speaking here - but that is absolute 100% bullshit .....

Please feel free to put me on ignore - it would be my pleasure :D

Indeed. It’s easy to be ‘relaxed’ and ‘tolerant’ about controversial opinions if you have no skin in the game.
Essentially this. I find Sadowitz mildly funny and approve of free speech but this forum is 97% white, middle-class, male, affluent. Who are we really to pontificate about such matters?

Again - the kind of simplistic reduction glibly trotted out by 'cancel outrage' ranters.

There is a whole world of difference between having an opinion and having access to a wide platform to spread that opinion

Denying the latter is not denying the former - get it now? ;)
So if you have a platform you can't have (or share) an opinion. Ok, got you.

You seem outraged yourself.....see, my opinion is that he was cancelled, not cancelled.

If the trans community are, by & large, being protected from such transphobic people by universities & the media in general & the amount of help available is second to none in the medical community, where transition is concerned (something the trans community say is the only way of moving forward from gender dysphoria) why is there is there so much suicide amongst the community. JK Rowling claims trans women are not biological women who should enter female personal space where young young girls are at their most vulnerable. I have no issue with this.
Clearly you know f uk all about the trans community or the quality, standard and availability of medical treatment or the existential challenges they face every day.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back