advertisement

Key Workers get predictable kick in the teeth.

Good Morning All,

As a matter of interest what do people on the forum think/ believe would be an appropriate pay rise at this time for people in the NHS?

Bearing in mind the impact this would have elsewhere........
On the question of impact elsewhere, we should also take into account the impact elsewhere of having people sick and unable to obtain timely or effective treatment. Not only the human misery, but the effect on the economy due to lost employment, increased sickness, and so-on.

A significant pay settlement will help not only retention, but recruitment. And there's no real way to recover from the last 2 years without increasing the staffing levels. Back to where they were before the East Europeans all left is only the start...

have refused to give civil servants 3.5% and have offered 3%

Nope. It's 2% plus 1% if the department can prove savings / efficiencies (see post above). This is on top of the 'efficiency' of reducing the CS by 20% by 2025.

And before we start all the "Whitehall desk polisher" bo**ocks, these cuts will also affect the frontline workers at passport office, DVLA, DWP, Borders agency etc...

Well say they were given an inflation matching rise of 9.4% this would set the bar for all other pay settlements or at least an expectation?

Regards

Richard
The wage floor can be government policy. They simply set it where they want it in the direct public sector and it becomes the floor no-one can go below if they are to attract applications. A note here: it requires reversing the idea of fiscal contraction, otherwise the private sector becomes cash-strapped and contracts, though govt can take up that problem by becoming the employer of last resort.
If they are only considering this as some random, uncontrollable notion of inflation, the wage floor will always be cautious (or fall).

We're all in for a hard couple of years, no surplus spending here.

Deep chaos in the transport industry and we're struggling to shift food, some of last year's crop still in store, maltsters closed and we still have grain for pet food sold for months ago but not taken.

Chickens running at a loss so we might shut that down before another winter. Half the N fertiliser manufacturing capacity is shut down and for sale.

Worked through last night to harvest oilseed before the rain so that's safe.

Nope. It's 2% plus 1% if the department can prove savings / efficiencies (see post above). This is on top of the 'efficiency' of reducing the CS by 20% by 2025.

And before we start all the "Whitehall desk polisher" bo**ocks, these cuts will also affect the frontline workers at passport office, DVLA, DWP, Borders agency etc...
The very sleight-of-hand is these 'efficiency savings'. It's fake and a complete analogue of the 'assume debt to pay for' fairytale. The very psychological aspect is: 'dear public, do you want more economic contraction so that the public sector can have a pay rise?'. It's politicking with lies.

Where I work, at a secondary school, we have just lost 21 staff apparently, 13 teachers & 8 support staff. Most of the support staff have gone on to far better paying jobs external to schools & a few teachers have retired but most have quit teaching in the public sector to go into the private sector. I believe the yearly bill for supply teachers is incredible compared to last year.

I myself am on poor pay for what I am expected to do but the convenience of where I work keeps me here for the time being. I have heard bandied about this morning 9.3% pay rise, believe that when I see it in my pay packet.

Where I work, at a secondary school, we have just lost 21 staff apparently, 13 teachers & 8 support staff. Most of the support staff have gone on to far better paying jobs & a few teachers have retired but most have quit teaching in the public sector to go into the private sector. I myself am on poor pay for what I am expected to do but the convenience of where I work keeps me here for the time being. I have heard bandied about this morning 9.3% pay rise, believe that when I see it in my pay packet.
And this illustrates perfectly the skewed view in operation. That the cash-limited private sector can somehow afford to pay higher wages, whereas those paid by the currency-issuing government have to count pennies. Utter folly. As if those paid from the private sector somehow spend their money in a different economy and get taxed by a different government.

Worth noting that professions like teaching have a pay scale whereby you move up each year. This doesn’t always happen in the private sector.

Ultimately this is a battle the Tories will always take on, they know the public lose patience after a while.

I truly believe that public sector workers are somewhat taken for granted, I mostly worked private sector all my life. They seem to complain but still carry on with the duties they are assigned, the ivory towers lot see this all the time & basically shaft them at every opportunity knowing full well nothing will change.

Worth noting that professions like teaching have a pay scale whereby you move up each year. This doesn’t always happen in the private sector.

My situation as started here, job advert stated a 5 yr pay scale, start at £19,678, after 5 yrs end with £20,496. We have had an increase recently but that was back pay for a forgotten implementation on pay awarded last year. If I had a mortgage & children to support I would not be here for sure.

It's also worth noting that in many public sector areas, pay progression has never been officially stopped, but has not been implemented for a long time.

My situation as started here, job advert stated a 5 yr pay scale, start at £19,678, after 5 yrs end with £20,496. We have had an increase recently but that was back pay for a forgotten implementation on pay awarded last year. If I had a mortgage & children to support I would not be here for sure.
Teachers have lost ~14% over the past 10yrs ,
MP's gained ~24%.

It is often forgotten that the public sector buys everything from the private sector often at inflated prices. My LA has just upped my wages 8% through a non contractural retention bonus. They had no choice as staff were leaving in droves due to years of austerity, huge caseloads and real term pay cuts. They struggle to attract experienced staff and there is a real crisis as staff retire especially for social workers.

It's also worth noting that in many public sector areas, pay progression has never been officially stopped, but has not been implemented for a long time.
Fair enough, I only have knowledge of teaching really, my other half has been teacher/deputy/head for 30 years. Her pays pretty good but she earns it

What impact would it have elsewhere?
For a start the government would need to pay for it. As a school we are now supposed to meet a 5% plus teacher pay rise out of a 1.9% funding increase, and then something for support staff if we ever find out what we are getting paid from April onwards.

advertisement

Back