advertisement

Key Workers get predictable kick in the teeth.

The Treasury minister was on R4 this morning freely telling the world that wage increases will lead to inflation. The truth is that they won’t.

The reason why we have austerity is that we do not challenge the lies and the failed economic model that underpins it.
“It’s all part of the long term economic plan.”

There is no plan, unless it's 'make it up as we go along and hope something turns up'. We have the bizarre spectacle of a Chancellor (now ex-Chancellor) raising taxes, and most of the then-Cabinet, and the PM OK-ing those increases, only for them now to say, 'Oh no, we thought those tax increases were a bad idea, but we went along with them anyway'. None of this shower of shite have even the beginning of an inkling what to do about anything.

We'll run out of public sector workers if they carry on, which is probably their goal.

These numbers are shocking

I don't know why any government is resisting modest wage rises. Put salaries up by 5% and the tax take goes up by 5% too. Actually, more than 5%, because of the tax free allowance. Also because it will bump a few more people into higher rate tax.

There is no plan, unless it's 'make it up as we go along and hope something turns up'. We have the bizarre spectacle of a Chancellor (now ex-Chancellor) raising taxes, and most of the then-Cabinet, and the PM OK-ing those increases, only for them now to say, 'Oh no, we thought those tax increases were a bad idea, but we went along with them anyway'. None of this shower of shite have even the beginning of an inkling what to do about anything.
There absolutely is a plan.

Alright, is the plan to keep taxes at their current level for the time being, or to cut them immediately?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for all they do, but I'm unconvinced that the employees of Timpsons merit the massive show of public support they attract.

They're still human beings that have had to absorb the significant increase in food, fuel and utility prices.

Better learn how to repair your own shoes and change your own watch batteries...

I worked at a similar sort of place many years ago; if you are being serious, this may explain why we were frequently spoken to like shit...

Alright, is the plan to keep taxes at their current level for the time being, or to cut them immediately?
Boris Johnson set out the plan in his parting speech today, deregulation and tax cuts. The consequences of cutting taxes is either “borrowing” or cuts to public spending.

Its the still same ol’ plan

There is always the option of making one-off payments in addition to a percentage rise, in the case of the NHS this would be recognition for the exceptional circumstances they faced for the two years of the pandemic. Even these could be staged over say 13 months i.e one payment now and another in 12 months time??

Regards

Richard

No, because one-off payments, bonuses etc do not count towards your pension. It is much better for the employee to receive the same amount consolidated into salary.

Reactions: Cav
No, because one-off payments, bonuses etc do not count towards your pension. It is much better for the employee to receive the same amount consolidated into salary.

Fair point - it was just a suggestion..... A vessel I was working on in the 1990's was paid as a base salary + 15% supplement. We were quite surprised (but grateful although confused as to why) when it was consolidated one year.

Regards

Richard

When I was an employee on a money purchase scheme years ago every payment I earned went towards my pension. I remember getting a huge bonus that could have bought me a small new car cash. But after tax and pension contributions that looked far less likely.

Well worth it though now that I'm retired.

DV

Still ridiculously expensive after tax and NI, we do absolutely everything possible in tax free benefits, phones can be a big one, trivial benefits, housing for three employees who have to be on site for security.

It seems unfair when people who aren't particularly well off are paying 2 or £300 tax per week.

Strike Ballot paper arrived in the post today.
This years pay offer is 3% - the thirteenth year of below inflation pay rises.

Still ridiculously expensive after tax and NI, we do absolutely everything possible in tax free benefits, phones can be a big one, trivial benefits, housing for three employees who have to be on site for security.

It seems unfair when people who aren't particularly well off are paying 2 or £300 tax per week.
Isn’t £300 tax a week the tax bill on £71000 a year?

Isn’t £300 tax a week the tax bill on £71000 a year?

Lots of overtime at the moment, we have a few who do very long days. Some jobs are better done at night, some can't be done in full heat of the day.

I'm sure some prefer to be at work.

One guy likes to have a flash car and change it often, another's saving as fast as poss for a house deposit, another's sending half his wages back to Poland for his kids.

All chose to sign a working time directive exclusion but we have to oversee H&S issues; when i was younger i often woke up heading for the A120 or a reservoir.

in HE the offer is minimum of 3% at or above spinal point 20 (about £26k) - and 9% for those below it. The 9% will cover most of the admin teams.

advertisement

Back